cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sewer Hose Storage

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
When we got our Bighorn, it came with what is called a sewer boom. The concept was good in that it contained the sewer hose while it was connected semi-permanently, and when you needed to dump your tanks, you simply swung it out. Problem was that you could not attach a clear short section for monitoring the emptying of your tank. So, we removed the whole thing. Then we were faced with how/where to store the hose. We kept it in a clear storage bin and that worked for awhile but it took up extra space in the storage bay. Fast forward and DH installed a storage compartment for the hose. He mounted in on the side, using black PVC piping that he drilled holes in top and bottom for air circulation and drainage. He fastened a screwed on lid on both ends, with the end closest the drain valve angled for easy removal and additional drainage. Each end cap is attached with a short chain should it come either undone by itself, we won't lose it or forget that we removed it when using it hence leaving it behind somewhere. From the angle of the photos it looks lower than the frame but in fact it isn't and is higher than the lowest point of the drain valve. It looks really sharp.

Side view:

View back to front:

View front to back:

View down low and close:

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton
45 REPLIES 45

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job, all ya'll!!
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of great ideas here, thanks..

CEddy
Explorer
Explorer
Carb Cleaner wrote:
Used the 1" aluminum, heated and bent on one end and a hole for a clasp or lock on the other end.

This is almost exactly what I did (well, without the polishing). Works fine for me. I really like the springs holding on the cap above, but I just used what I had laying around the shop. On the end of the aluminum bar I have a 3/8" or so pin, with a cotter pin securing it. I'll improve it one day...
2006 Coachmen 30TBS
2004 F-350 SRW PSD

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Updated my end caps from wood to proper, matching caps.
Used the 1" aluminum, heated and bent on one end and a hole for a clasp or lock on the other end. Then, polished a little. Unfortunately, the hinge method wouldn't work for my application. I think that would be preferable, but this is OK.
After I took these pics, I drilled two holes in the underside at each end.

'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Very neat and simple idea on the springs!
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
reasley wrote:
My set up is much the same as all the others, except the latch. I was looking for the simplest possible. It's been on there for several years down some rough washboard roads without problems.

Just 2 springs and 4 cotter pins.

Now I really like the simplicity of your latch vs. some of the others nice job
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

reasley
Explorer
Explorer
My set up is much the same as all the others, except the latch. I was looking for the simplest possible. It's been on there for several years down some rough washboard roads without problems.

Just 2 springs and 4 cotter pins.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I use post caps that fit the 5"x5" post cover, hinged them to the post cover, although those wood ones are a thing of beauty.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, went with the 5x5 Home Depot fence post sleeve. For my application, I fabricated my mounting brackets from 1"x1/8" aluminum stock. The 5x5 caps weren't available, so I cut a couple out of some 1x6 pressure treated I had laying around. I still gotta get by a Lowe's for the gutter insert. I like the idea about the locking hasps, as well as using the gutter insert for a hose support at the CG.
5x5 post sleeve here

Heating and bending the aluminum:

Two brackets. They weren't bent with CNC precision, but they're pretty good for a mouth-breathin' water head and close enough:

I hit the brackets with a polishing wheel before mounting. The acorn nuts and bolts are stainless, as are the screw-eyes I used to secure the end plugs:

I had to have something to plug the ends, so we could hit the road:

'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
DH here:

@thewhitehat, I did put a couple of holes on each end, to fix the chain issue from wrapping on itself when I screwed the cap in, instead of a self tapping screw on the chain I used a bolt with some washers and a locking nut on the inside. It now rotates completely without adding additional length to the chain. When I did this I made a new hole dead center in the cap (these had a little ridge on them so had to grind it off to get the hole started) - with that done I drilled out the hole that was for the self-tapping screw (it was slightly off center before because I didn't want to mess with that ridge) and just let it be. There are multiple holes drilled in the bottom and top of the pipe over the entire length for ventilation.

@partsman01: thought of mounting to the other side of the bracket, but back problems and being right handed made it easier to mount the way I did without having to crawl under the trailer so much. Matter of personal choice I guess, rivets may look a little ugly, but its functional.

Status Update: Took the trailer out on its first trip after the mod over 4th of July, bumpy gravelly roads, potholes, mountain roads, etc. It didn't budge. I did make an additional adjustment also, put a velcro strap on each end of the pipe so if there is vibration, the caps won't open spilling my hoses out on the road.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
On the original post I would have put brackets opposite ways, then the clamps could not fall off, would not need a rivet.

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Just Jeff wrote:

It should be mostly gray water anyway, for what that's worth.

That was my thoughts exactly.
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags

Just_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
After my last trip, I had a little water drip from the hose into the gutter. It pooled and dried in the gutter and never dripped out into the door compartment, though...I think I'd rather keep it in the gutter that I already consider soiled anyway than let it drip out anywhere else. Since I always wear gloves when I pull the gutter out to get the hose, that's a good place to keep any water that doesn't dry from the hose before I put it away.

It should be mostly gray water anyway, for what that's worth.
2013 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS (31.5') - details at http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
I have not put holes in it yet. The trailer will not ever be level coming down the road, so a little water can drain out if the need arises. Going to re-evaluate that after a coupe of camping trips to see though.
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS