Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

side door bent

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Hi,

My side door got twisted from a brake in.

Anyone have suggestions for untwisting?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi all,

I was able to fix the problem by putting a board at the start of the bend and then "untwisting" the bend. It took about 4 tries to get it into alignment.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

The shops seem to just want to replace with new. I guess a result of our no fix culture.

Regards, Don

is that on the motor home Don?  I don't doubt they want to replace it as it is probably cheeper to put a new one on than it is to fix the frame.  I don't call it a no fix culture, but rather a "cheepest method" culture, our labour costs have risen so much in the last 30 years that in 99% of the cases it is cheeper for the customer to replace instead of repairing.  even now when I do my own repairs I tend to look at how much time I will spend fixing something and including that in the factors on wheather I fix it or replace it.  I actualy value my own time now when it is for somthing that isn't a hobby or relaxation.  

I especialy see that in the autobody industry, labour costs are so high, it is usaly cheeper to buy a new front quarter panel, paint it and install it than it is to straiten out and repaint the old one.  the higher labour costs are wonderfull for the worker, as it means they are getting paid more than they did 20 years ago, but it is driving manufacturing overseas.  its pretty sad when you can get a container of parts made in china just as good as can be made here and ship them accross the world and still sell them for 70% of the cost of the north american made ones...  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Hi all,

I was able to fix the problem by putting a board at the start of the bend and then "untwisting" the bend. It took about 4 tries to get it into alignment.

Regards, Don

there saved yourself some money.  the shop probabaly just sisn't want to deal with somthing old and risk it breaking and then they are on the hook for a new door.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

I would think that a close by autobody shop would be able to repair the door after removing it.

I would call some and ask them.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29