cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcing Slides and Netting

DJK555
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2008 Komfort 232 trailer and am in the process of modifying a few things to suit how we use an RV. A couple of items that i am trying to source. The factory had installed a pull out drawer under one of the dinnet seats. A great feature that I am duplicating under the second seat. I'm trying to find bottom mount cabinet drawer slides that are 36" to 38" long with a lock feature that requires you to lift up on the drawer before sliding out. I am also converting a couple of open( TV mount and microwave opening)spaces to storage and would like to use netting across the opening. Has any9one come across these items preferably in Canada?
Thanks in advance.
David
5 REPLIES 5

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Knape and Vogt makes some excellent drawer slides. Available everywhere from Home Depot, Home Hardware and Rona, to Amazon and ebay, and to the internet. Any retail hardware store like the aforementioned carry carry a lot of different types and lengths of ball bearing drawer slides and Windsor Plywood is also good.

Some retail stores have a better selection of things like knobs, catches and screws. I like Windsor Plywood for their stock of lots of screw sizes and types and other cabinet hardware and they also sell screws in bulk. I hate getting screws from HD because you have to buy their ridiculous "Pro Pack" of screws at 10 times the cost of bulk ones at other stores. (Sorry, bit of a rant there, lol). Lee Valley has a very good selection of cabinet hardware and they do online mail order which can help.

Knape and Vogt makes an "RV stay-close" full extension drawer slide which is really nice and is available up to 28". Just bought some for some drawers I'm going to make up for beside our bed. It locks in the closed position when you push the drawer closed. Then to unlock/open it, you give it a little tug to make it let go. No need to use those dumb little catches that just about every RV maker uses. They can be a PITA and they often come from the plant misaligned. I know that 36" might be nice, but you could find that something less than that is just fine. Knape and Vogt stay close slides

Accuride makes slides up to 60" long. Accuride 9301 slides

If I can offer a tip, mount the slides by using the available rear mounting brackets. Forget about mounting them to the sides. Cabinetry in TTs is typically out of level, square and plumb. It will drive you crazy trying to put plywood on the sides of the existing cabinetry to screw the slides to (ask me how I know). The rear brackets are so much easier and its what the RV manufacturers use.

If looks and detail matter to you, you should be able to get matching drawer handles from your manufacturer via the dealer. And instead of using netting over the openings, if you go to a dealer's lot and walk through other units of the same make and model you may be able to find standard size doors that will work. Just doing that now with our latest TT. On a previous TT, I had new cabinet doors made up to fit openings but it was rather costly. You could also consider using plain 3/4" thick lumber, glue pieces together to get the dimension you need, router a round-over edge and then stain and finish to suit. You *could* make cabinet doors with a metal mesh insert, but then that's getting trickier and you need at least a table saw and biscuit joiner. Or you might be able use a stock door and replace the thin panel part in the middle with mesh. Some TTs, like ours, have some cab. doors with a mesh center ("centre" in Canada) in them.

Or just come down to Langley and I'll help you do this. :W

If you post some pics and/or a floorplan it might help for more suggestions. Is there a Komfort dealer in or near Penticton?

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
DJK555 wrote:
I recently purchased a 2008 Komfort 232 trailer and am in the process of modifying a few things to suit how we use an RV. A couple of items that i am trying to source. The factory had installed a pull out drawer under one of the dinnet seats. A great feature that I am duplicating under the second seat. I'm trying to find bottom mount cabinet drawer slides that are 36" to 38" long with a lock feature that requires you to lift up on the drawer before sliding out. I am also converting a couple of open( TV mount and microwave opening)spaces to storage and would like to use netting across the opening. Has any9one come across these items preferably in Canada?
Thanks in advance.
David

Use standard drawer slides and mount them on the SIDES of the drawers as they are designed to be.

For the drawer lock, you simply place a block of wood or make a bent piece of metal to mount UNDER the drawer. The block of wood or metal piece only needs to extend SLIGHTLY below the drawer. The block of wood or metal needs to have an angle to make it easier to close (the angle allows the drawer to "climb" over the bottom of the drawer opening).

The idea is the wood or metal will "catch" on the inside bottom of the opening.

When done correctly you simply "lift" the drawer up slightly and pull out.

Standard side drawer slides WILL need to be used since they allow nearly a 1/4" of upward movement..

Cost is free to make and no shipping involved!

On edit.. Adding some pictures of my home made drawer catch..

Drawer "catch" view

Side veiw of drawer slide

Hope that helps!

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Organized OBIE has all the netting; bulk netting, bungee cords, pre-made net pockets and pre-made barrier nets. Plus the mounting hardware. I love their products.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might also check at boat supply stores or marinas that have a store. Both of those items are common on boats.
Example from West Marine

Another source: cargo netting

And another: Joanne Fabrics cargo netting

As far as the undermount slides is concerned, I think you will be hard pressed to find them in that length. It is easy to find the normal side mounted ones that long but not the undermount. Perhaps a 24-28 in long would work and let some of the drawer hang out at the end? Good luck.
28" undermount drawer slide.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
I would check local and on line woodworker supply stores for thr slides. And local fabric stores/suppliers for the netting.

Good Luck
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT