Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To conduit... Or not to conduit...?

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok,

I'm piecing together my solar stuff. I have a combiner box and mc4 cable enroute, I actually have enough room in the fridge vent topper to place a sealed box in there...

Panels to combiner box, combiner box to controller mounted in fridge area xtra space, controller down through fridge compartment to underside, underside to batteries.

Anyways, my underbelly is sealed but once I drop the skirting and work through the insulation I have access to the "I" beam, should I run some 3/4 or 1" sch40 and run the line to the batts through that. Or just use cable fasteners and self tap screws to secure the two wires to the "i" beam ...to the batts...

Am I over thinking is...
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun
13 REPLIES 13

RVWithTito
Explorer
Explorer
Yup...I would use conduit whenever possible. It's worth it and makes for a much better install. I used 3/4" flexible PVC for the cable runs under the rig to the controller. Zip tie them to the frame.
2007 Four Winds 31F Class C; Ford E450 Chassis; 250 Watts Solar;

RV Solar, Towing, DIY and Tips on my website RVwithTito.com
Watch My Video Tips at YouTube/RVWithTito

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found out real quick I needed conduit under my OFF-ROAD trailer. It doesn't have the covered membrane like yours but on my first trip to the woods I snagged several of my under trailer rats nest type wiring and had to do some quick twist and tape jobs to finish out my camping trip.

I used 3/4 inch PVC flexible conduit and also installed some upsidedown PVC junction wiring boxes that accepted 3/4-inch conduit.

The electrical junction boxes with a large hole drilled in the bottom of it are mounted where wiring came through my floors usually inside a cabinet floor. I made a round-robin approach and now I can fish wiring all the place and still be inside the PVC CONDUIT. This also solved my uncovered holes and other ways for insects and critters to get into my trailer. Everything all sealed up now from the bottom.

You can get an idea what I did from this floor plan drawing showing my 3/4-inch path in BLUE.

This is the the type of PVC Electrical junction boxes I used. These have weatherproof lids so I can remove those from the bottom and route cables real easy from point A to point B... (ALL FROM LOWES)

Might not work so well if you have covered membrane on the bottom of the trailer.

I use this flexible conduit and electrical junction boxes idea for all my wiring mods... Best way i can think of for going thru a wall or floor.

Just food for thought
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Conduit.

In fact if it were me I would install a spare conduit. You never know what mod you may want to make it the future.

The cost and effort to go with conduit is minimal.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:
bigcitypopo wrote:
Ok, I ordered the combiner box so if I didn't need it, I'd send it back. Just being prepared.
How many panels are you installing?

And what panels, and are they in series or parallel?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
bigcitypopo wrote:
Ok, I ordered the combiner box so if I didn't need it, I'd send it back. Just being prepared.
How many panels are you installing?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd opt for conduit. I used flexible non-metallic for brake wiring and it's OK but if I was doing it again, I'd use PVC. I have one underside battery bank run through 1 1/2 ABS but that is overkill for your run. I have two #1 AWG cables, the battery temp wire, and two #14 THHN in the ABS pipe. Liquatite is probably the best conduit, the stuff is darn near indestructible.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
I always opt for protecting wiring whether it's conduit or convoluted tubing. I also always opt for solder and heat shrinked over butt connectors. In my youth I spent way too much time finding bad or corroded connections. I no longer do that. Do it once and do it right.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Liquid Tight. It is a grey flexible conduit available at HD or Lowes. They also have the fittings and it is easy to use. They sell it by the foot or roll. You may see it used quite a bit between the shutoff switch and a residential/commercial AC unit.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I used corrugated wire loom wrap, zip tied to the frame.

AlbertaNewbie
Explorer
Explorer
Conduit definitely, if you ever have a short or issue pull it out with a pull string tied on to pull back in.
2014 Dutchmen 261bhs - 7200#'s loaded
2012 Ram 1500 SXT Crew Cab w/5.7L HEMI, 4x4 3.55 Gears
250w Conergy 250P 24v solar with tristar 45amp mppt charge controller

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Combiner box in the fridge vent is same bad as on the roof, or maybe even worse than on the roof. On the roof you have UV and rain, in the vent - a lot of heat. If you are running MC4 all the way to controller, you don't need a combiner box.

Definitely conduit. I don't like this frame route, there is a risk of shorting the wires where they are rubbing at the holes in the beams, but conduit will at least give some protection.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't matter, either will work. I'd install conduit. It's always handy to be able to add or change wiring latter.