cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stainless steel backsplash question

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toying around with the idea of installing a stainless steel backsplash on one side of the cooktop and the rear wall. Maybe 6-12" high.

Question is - how to fasten it to the wall? PL400 construction adhesive is a great product but I don't know if it will work on the paneling that is in TTs. I tried to glue something to wood finish wall paneling in a previous TT and could not get anything to stick to it and after 4 adhesives, I gave up trying. It was as if it had a Teflon coating.

The sidewall at the cooktop is wood finish paneling and the rear is standard luan plywood. Is screwing it on the only thing that will definitely work and last? I could use finishing washers to make it look a little nice but I would rather not see any screws.

What have others done? Maybe some Oscar rivets?

Whatever I do, it's needs to be permanent since if it ever had to come off, the wall finishes would be damaged.
8 REPLIES 8

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
the first thing I do when I buy a new RV is to cut plexiglass sheets for behind/beside the stove. I fasten it up with velcro dots.
bumpy

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I used screws on my baked aluminum BS, matching color. Figured less problem ( than glue ) if I ever needed to get in the wall for any reason.

They make a little rounded washer ( can't think of the name ) that a SS screw will nicely into and make a smooth round finish product. Lowes specialty screw section.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

Not being rich, I use $1 oven bottom liners from a dollar store. I put them in with thumb tacks and when they get dirty--I replace with new ones. The first set lasted 3 years.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
I used 2 foot wide flashing behind a sheet of glass to the left of my stove. Looks like stainless, but lots cheaper. Held in place by a bead of clear silicone at the bottom and top, with two mirror clips helping.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

westend
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Copper is an interesting idea!

Yeah, I think some sort of screw is the only 100% positive way. If I do go ahead with this plan, it's going to have to be on the basis of being permanent. Construction adhesive *should* work, but I've had one negative experience before. I might see if I can steal a piece of wall paneling from a hidden spot to test.

The other thing I will need to be careful about is checking for square, plumb and level. I think it's best to make a template first. I've sure seen how out of whack counters can be.

Actually, just thinking a bit more, I wonder if sort of double-sided tape would work? Doesn't need to be a really strong mechanical bond, it just needs to be held up against the wall.

Oh snap, yes 3M makes a double stick carpet tape that is incredibly adhesive. I think it is the "Heavy Duty" model. It comes in different bond strengths. I've used it for templating different woodworking projects and it peels the veneer off plywood. I have since, gone down to the "Medium Duty" tape for my projects.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
OP-when you mentioned double-sided tape it brought to mind some hooks my DW uses all over the FW-they use an adhesive that just doesn't let go, Not sure what it is-you can find these hooks at Home Depot if you want to look into it. When you want to remove the hook you grab a tab and pull it down hard.

Due to the heat in that area, I would suggest putting in just a few screws for some stability.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Copper is an interesting idea!

Yeah, I think some sort of screw is the only 100% positive way. If I do go ahead with this plan, it's going to have to be on the basis of being permanent. Construction adhesive *should* work, but I've had one negative experience before. I might see if I can steal a piece of wall paneling from a hidden spot to test.

The other thing I will need to be careful about is checking for square, plumb and level. I think it's best to make a template first. I've sure seen how out of whack counters can be.

Actually, just thinking a bit more, I wonder if sort of double-sided tape would work? Doesn't need to be a really strong mechanical bond, it just needs to be held up against the wall.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I used copper sheet and fastened it with screws. I thought adhesive would be more problematic. If I was going to use adhesive, the PL-400 type construction adhesives will bond to just about anything as long as the surfaces are clean.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton