cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Styrofoam on Floor

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
We have removed the carpet from our motor home and will be installing sheet vinyl in its place.

I was thinking this morning, not a good thing for me, that maybe I should put a 1/4 inch Styrofoam on the floor before installing the sheet vinyl. I would nail it so it would not move, then just lay the sheet vinyl over it with some type of fastener at the edges.

Would that make it quieter in the motor home? Would it provide any better insulation? Can you see any drawbacks to that idea?
14 REPLIES 14

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
As promised, here's the photos. Of course we picked the colors for a specific look. But if you selected a different color, ... well .... who knows? Anyway... enjoy!!! if nothing else:

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
A little too expensive for my 2004 motor home.

I would also wonder if they would fly around when making a hard stop or if in an accident.

But, I will look at them when I am at Lowe's.

Thanks.

Pepperoni
Explorer
Explorer
Rigid foam and high density foam are available. styrofoam may compress and split under load

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not to ruin a perfectly good bad idea, buuuuuut.

1/4" thick engineered wood or padded vinyl will probably give about as much insulation and sound deadening but without all the other issues.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
You're asking for trouble. For all the reasons stated above.

Yep....

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Hey nbking! I just had a brainstorm of a thought! This may help all your problems. My son and grandson live with us. I remodeled the grandson's room, pulled out the carpet, down to the sub floor. I then put these down. No nails, no glue, nothing, just cut and fit around the edges. Got them at Lowe's. We got Teenage Mutant Ninja colors (multi color), but they do make them all solid one color too. It' just a thought! It would give you the floor covering, the insulation value, no glue, nails, or nothing, and if you want to change the floor, simply pick them up and toss them and start all over:

Lowe's, click here.

I'm at work right now. Later tonight when I'm home and have access to my photos, I'll attach a photo of my grandson's room. You'll see what I mean.

I started laying these squares down in my garage (my wood shop) so I have a warmer and softer floor under my feet when I'm working. I'm seriously thinking about re-doing the entire garage floor with these too. It not used for the car, it is my wood work shop! They just lay down on top of whatever surface already exists. Very, very easy and very, very light weight too.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plus, dropped heavy items can puncture the floor more easily with the soft layer underneath.

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
I accept your wisdom. I knew I should have never tried to think in the morning. I will abandon that idea. Thanks.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
What they all said

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
You're asking for trouble. For all the reasons stated above.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
1/4" will have just about zero value and will cause all kinds of issues because of its softness.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Nailing the styrofoam to the floor will cause visible indentations on the vinyl floor.

Just follow whatever guidelines the vinyl flooring manufacturer has for installing their product. They know the best.

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
That is my concern as well. Don't think I could put both styrofoam and plywood on the floor before the vinyl.

May have to rethink my idea. Thanks for your help.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The only draw back I see, if you put Styrofoam on the floor and then cover it directly with vinyl, and then you walk on it, over time, the Styrofoam will get squashed and you many end up with a bunch of dimples or footprint depressions in the Styrofoam.

I have an access port under the shower in my Outback. I can see how the floor is put together where it's been cut out for the plumbing that comes through the floor.

There is a layer of 1 inch thick Styrofoam, on top of that, there is a 1/4 inch sheet of plywood, on top of that is the vinyl.

About insulation value, yes it will help and it will make the floor warmer in the winter, but it will also make it feel squishy under your feet.

It's really 6 of one / half-a-dozen of another. I don't think 1/4 inch Styrofoam will hurt anything, just not sure how it will hold up under the weight of a someone's foot.