cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thank you for the refrigerator fan mod tips

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I I have learned so much from this forum that I couldn't begin to list it all. This week I finally got around to adding a small computer fan to the outside of my 1999 Americana refrigerator. It is attached to the underside of the hot coils blowing upwards. Prior to this modification, my refrigerator temperature would start off around 35 or 40ยฐ first thing in the morning, and creep up to 45 to 50ยฐ on a typical 80 or 90ยฐ day even without opening and closing the door. So I just wanted to thank all of you who shared your ideas and pictures because now without any other changes, my refrigerator was able to stay at 39ยฐ Even on an 88ยฐ sunny day!
Thanks again, one more mod complete!
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles
9 REPLIES 9

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
Northstar truck campers have put a 12v small fan with a switch and thermostat controlled from factory. Works great.
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
Glad computer fan worked for your RV fridge as well. Like many, I also did this mod (to the back of fridge/ plastic pull tied to its cooling coil). IMO, 35+ CFM low cost computer fan should be factory build. But, that's a topic for a different post.

shepcal
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it works for you! I didn't use a computer fan, but bought the solar refer cap and fan. Put a switch inline so while not camping fan wouldn't run when sun hit solar panel. Keeping outside coil cooler helped my refer stay cooler quite abit!

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure your drain tube is not cracked and that it is properly installed. Often folks move them and depending on the design they may need a U drip loop area to trap water. If that is not working warm air enters and you will be amazed at the temp differences.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can get a computer CPU fan, 2" square, 1/2" thick if space is premium and position it to blow across the interior fins to circulate the air and even out the interior temps.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
want it cooler, put a bungee cord across the door just a little tension on the door seals better , my frig will freeze milk.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Mr. wishbone is referring to the cold coils inside the refrigerator. I did not do that mainly because my refrigerator is so tiny I didn't want to take up any more space and less necessary.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
What is the difference:

Fan on the outside?
Fan on the fridge coils?
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't done the fan on the outside yet. That's my next mod. Have you tried the fan on the (edit)interior(/edit) fridge coils? That worked wonders for me.

I got the same numbers that you get with/without the interior fan. I'm excited to try both. I get nervous above 35* ๐Ÿ™‚

I bought one of those remote thermometer readouts. Though it gives a bit of piece of mind, it was just one more thing to make me worry. Before, I just used to camp and not worry about the fridge ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan