cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Correct Thermostat For My MH

Ccoddou
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1996 Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour. I want to upgrade to a newer more efficient thermostat. I originally had two thermostats. One for the A/C and a separate one for the heat (2-wire). I am a second owner with no paperwork but my guess is that I have a gas furnace? It has central (roof-ducted) air and floor heat...if that helps. Can I purchase a single unit that can control both or do I need to keep the A/C and heat separate. Any help would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

Ccoddou
Explorer
Explorer
Did some research and found that I have a 2-stage Coleman RVP central air conditioner and a
1-stage Suburban SF-42 furnace. The factory wires are red, orange, yellow, white, black, purple, light blue and two grey

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Ccoddou wrote:
Mandalay Parr wrote:
What do you mean by an efficient thermostat?
All they do is turn the furnace or AC on and off.

What are you expecting?

For the same reason anyone would change out an antequated analog thermostat for a better digital thermostat. To maintain a correct / constant temperature with less variance, to have programming capability, to make precise adjustments and to visibly see the exact temperature at a glance. That's just a few reasons. Do you have any suggestions?

The type of thermostat depends on the exact furnace and AC you have. And RVs are not the same as at home. My suggestion is to take the old thermostats to an RV place that sells such things and ask them what would replace.

I personally replaced one for a friend last winter. They bought a new one and found out they had to have the same exact one except no screws on the new one. All 7 wires had to be spliced. And the wire colors were not the same. Had to figure out from the schematic which wire went where.

Jerry Parr
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Ccoddou
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
The hardest part of one thermostat will be pulling wire to a common location.

LUX makes a simple 2 wire digital heat only thermostat. Lots of people use the Hunter to upgrade heat/air to digital and probably would work for you.

Probably need the make and model of the air conditioner to get best answers.

I've seen videos and manuals on the recommended Hunter model and there are too few terminals. My existing system has roughly 10 wires...yellow, orange, red, white, green, blue, two grey and two of another color. I will post a photo later.

Ccoddou
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:

LUX makes a simple 2 wire digital heat only thermostat. Lots of people use the Hunter to upgrade heat/air to digital and probably would work for you.

Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you what type of A/C it is. Coincidentally I did buy an analog LUX for the heat and a digital LUX for the A/C but the digital thermostat has far fewer terminals. I wired it up to the best of my ability but I can only get the A/C (or fan) to run. I can't really tell which it is. Nevertheless, I am stuck. Thanks for your input.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Ccoddou
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:

What are you expecting?

For the same reason anyone would change out an antequated analog thermostat for a better digital thermostat. To maintain a correct / constant temperature with less variance, to have programming capability, to make precise adjustments and to visibly see the exact temperature at a glance. That's just a few reasons. Do you have any suggestions?

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
T-stats can also be programmed to start & stop at various times - days of the week, etc. and other functions.
Here's the one we use. Honeywell

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer

What are you expecting?
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE