cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The long list of work for my trailer that sat about 20 years

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
So, here is the list of stuff that I need to get done.

The first list is the things I will do before it moves again. They are safety/watertight things.

install hook up for WD chains
Repair front Cover over window, window, and corner
Exterior Lights
brakes
3 square roof vents
2 round pipe vents
Replace door lock

The rest:

Lube front jack
retest old propane tanks
get battery
get spare tire
Replace rear bumper, some spots have rusted out
Open, Clean, fix awning
Replace cushions
Replace curtains
get interior lights working
Test Propane system
install 3 way fridge
fix soft floor
repair waterline
test and repair sewage system
replace walls in shower with plastic walls
unseize stands

I have a lot of work ahead of me.
12 REPLIES 12

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
swimmer_spe wrote:
I need a new rim and tire, as it did not come with a spare. Although legally, I think I cam just take off the blown one, as I have tandem. Not sure, but not worth the risk.

You don't want to do that. If you do the remaining tire will be overloaded and will inexplicably fail after a while.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have any like that. The old tanks I have are 30lbers. To have them inspected, valve replaced and filled is $60 each. New 30lb tanks run about $60 empty.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Around here just about every other store has Propane tanks out front for exchange (Blue Rhino is one of the companies that provides the tanks) at a price around $20-$25 about 3/4 full of propane. Some of the employees know enough to look for the old type valves I am sure you have and refuse to exchange the tank. But a lot of the 17 yr olds don't know there is a difference and will exchange it. Worth a shot if you have these around your place.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I need a new rim and tire, as it did not come with a spare. Although legally, I think I cam just take off the blown one, as I have tandem. Not sure, but not worth the risk.

After the leaks have been fixed in the water system, I will need to make sure it all works. It i not a priority, but it is there.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Alfred622 wrote:
I believe the comment about pressure testing the trailer referred to using a special type of fan to force a great deal of air into the trailers interior (creating a higher pressure inside than outside) then walking around the interior with a smoking punk to identify any areas where the smoke is drawn to the walls, windows, ceiling, etc. That will indicate an areas to examine for exterior water leaks. Since the pressurization system is specialized equipment, you might want to have this done by a testing service.

Exterior water leaks can be very hard to find, but if you see smoke coming out of the trailer around the top of a window when the smoking punk is held near that window on the inside, then you can suspect there could be a route for rain to enter the trailer walls.
We don't need no stinkin' punks....:B

A pinhole leak discovered with soapy water with interior pressurized to 1 1/2" of water column:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

webrx
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1975 that had set 5 years and also had to replace the fresh water pump and water heater - PO had let it set over the winter with water in it.

Also don't forget to test the above and the cabin heater.

Amerigas sells the 30# tanks for $60 which includes the new opd valves - without opd valves you can't refill the tanks so the older tanks, even if recertified will need the new valves. I am replacing one tank and will use it as my primary, only using the tank that still has gas in it as the spare/second tank for when I run out in the primary and have to run and get it filled. Then refill the primary and use it again. This way the 3/4 tank of propane in the old tank should last a while and I dont have to replace both right away - when I finally run out of gas in the spare tank I will replace it then, the way we camp it may last us a year or two.

d

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Getting a spare tire is on your list. Can we assume you are getting all new tires along with the spare? Even if you had the tires stored out of the sun, it's time for new tires.
JMO

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the comment about pressure testing the trailer referred to using a special type of fan to force a great deal of air into the trailers interior (creating a higher pressure inside than outside) then walking around the interior with a smoking punk to identify any areas where the smoke is drawn to the walls, windows, ceiling, etc. That will indicate an areas to examine for exterior water leaks. Since the pressurization system is specialized equipment, you might want to have this done by a testing service.

Exterior water leaks can be very hard to find, but if you see smoke coming out of the trailer around the top of a window when the smoking punk is held near that window on the inside, then you can suspect there could be a route for rain to enter the trailer walls.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Propane tanks are well out of date. One actually still has about 20lbs worth of Propane in it. It will cost me less to have them recertified then to buy new ones.

I have been taking pictures, so, once I can figure out how to, I will upload them.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Will your propane tanks not be out of date? Where I live they have to be replaced every so many years. There will be a date on the tank as to when it was made.

Enjoy your restoration. Will it be possible to see before and after pics?

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Do you mean the propane or the water system?

Propane, I will shut all appliance valves, and turn on the gas. I will spray all connections with a really soapy solution.

Water, I already know where the broken pipe is. I will fix it, follow the system and check for any other spots. If I find one, I will pressurize the system and check for leaks.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Consider having the trailer pressure tested to determine all the sources of leaks. Also - given the age all the windows should probably be removed and new butyl tape and caulk reapplied. Good luck with your project.
Kevin