cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tornado flush added to black waste tank...

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
While working on a different black tank issue, I decided to finally add a black tank flush system. My hope is that it will keep my sensors clean and accurate. It seems like most times when I dump my black waste tank the 1/3rd and 2/3rd sensors have been staying "on" and that forces me to get out the hose and wand, run it all through the window, down the toilet, etc to get it clean (what a pain). Hopefully this works...

I picked the Tornado tank flush system. You can find it here or on amazon...

https://www.campingworld.com/tornado-permanent-tank-rinser-with-remote-connection-28091.html

In order to drill the hole in the rear of the tank (so it is blasting water towards the drain), I needed to remove the rear outer tire and the forward flap.

There is a template that comes with the system so it makes it easy to know exactly where to put all the holes.

Apply lots of silicon and fasten the unit to the tank...

I added an elbow to reduce hose strain.

I ran the hose to the drain valve area (seemed like a good place), ziptied it up and out of the way, and cut the hose to length.

Here's a modification I made to the Tornado system that should help me and hopefully others can take advantage. I noticed that the spray pattern was not ideal for my tank and sensor setup. The head of the device that is inserted into the black waste tank spins so it sprays water pretty good. Here is what it looked like out of the box...

I felt like it might not hit my sensors as much as I want to get them clean. So I took the smallest drill bit I have and added two more holes in just the right spot so that the water will hit the area it was missing. I tested it all (uninstalled) on my driveway and it created the pattern I was looking for. Here is what it looks like:

Total time to install was probably about an hour with much of that involving jacking up the RV, placing jacks (for safety) and removing the outer dually tire.

I'll let the silicon dry and then test it out.

If this works as I hope it does, it will be so nice keeping my tank clean after dumping and more importantly my sensors clean without ever having to bring a hose through the window and wand down the toilet again.

Happy Camping!
Chris

Update: I was doing another black tank project and accidentally broke the outside connection of the Tornado Flush. So I bought a new one. When I used the same silicon sealant it started having a small leak at the sealant connection. I tried a couple times (with water thankfully) and it kept leaking just a little. So I removed it, cleaned off the surfaces, and used Sikaflex-291 after some research. Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089SDNLF6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Marine grade. Made for "below water line" connections. Zero leaks and I feel great it will stay that way. Good luck!
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
24 REPLIES 24

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Good to see the brass connector. Two of mine were plastic and broke ๐Ÿ˜‰
Also the clear vinyl tube with hose clamp was problematic.

Quickie Flush has held up very well as it had a brass fitting at the time. Connected with actual pipe fittings and Pex. No issues.

I also customized the spray pattern and the sensors work perfectly.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice job and the pictures and diagrams of your mods to the sprayer is a plus. The mod to the sprayer should be helpful in the cleaning of the tank better.

On my previous RV I had to do as you did and drag a hose thru the window with a wand,what a mess. Then I tried the Flush King,what a waste of time and money, it didn't do anything but waste water and did not clean the sensors as the wand did.I had no access to the tank to install a washer so on this RV the first thing I did was to install a Quickie Flush and it works great.

Now it has been there 11 years,with no sign of fatigue or breaking with the brass fitting attached.

To answer another question,both my Quickie Flush and the Tornado specify in the instructions to use Silicone.

Step#7 " Remove dirt, grease, and moisture from area around the opening. Apply 100 percent silicone sealant into the 1/8 inch holes. Cover entire inside flange of Tornado with 3/16 inch of silicone sealant. If the spacer is used also apply silicone to the spacer. Do not get any silicone on the Tornado spray head".
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a similar tank flusher mounted on the rear of our black tank that does not spin, from what I've heard Tornado version tends to stop spinning shortly after install. No matter as long as it is ejecting a powerful spray it will at least fill black tank to help expel residual waste left after initial dump. Most times tank monitor will indicate black tank is empty after flushing although it is something I don't watch for, after all it would take at least a couple of weeks to get it close to full on a 40 gallon black tank.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SJ-Chris said: "Apply lots of silicon and fasten the unit to the tank..."

I have to ask did the manufacturer specifically say to use "Silicone".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
I guess I for one just quit worrying about how full the tank is.

We are full time also. I NEVER look at my sensors. I dump on Sundays but I can go every other if needed. I call it my "Sunday Service".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:

Ditto. 25+ years of RVing, have never come close to filling the black tank.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you have better success with your Tornado than I did. After about a year the bearings seized and would no longer turn. You could hear it getting worse and worse over time and then finally would no longer turn at all.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Nice job. While I beleive tank rinser do help. Nothing seems to work as well as a Flush King. Internal OEM tank sensors are not the best idea from the start.
Tank sensors overall are in place to give to give novice RV'ers peace of mind that their RV is not going to overflow with poo.
However the tank sensors realy are not necessary, the tank will give you audible and visual signs when it is full without sensors.
After RV'ing a few years you learn to observe the tank is getting full warning signs.
I instaled a tank rinser on my first RV, but since then I have come to realize they are not necessary
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice job. However, (there is ALWAYS a however), I am not sure I would want the weight of the brass fitting always attached to the plastic Tornado bouncing up and down on rough roads. I am afraid that over time, the plastic will fatigue and break. I would personally prefer using the plastic hose with a large loop permanently zip tied into it to perform the same function.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB