cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I Want to Break Down Solids?

nagel
Explorer
Explorer
I was watching a video the other day about cleaning out the black tank. The video had a "RV Tank Cleaning Company" showing how to hydroblast the tank to really clean them out (black and gray).

In this the "technician" asked what type of tank treatments the guy was using and he outlined several he had used. The technician commented that you really do not want anything that breaks down the solids because it simply turns everything into "pancake batter" that causes problems with sensors. Really you want something that will control the odors, but the key is simply to use lots of water. He commented several times a RV black tank is not a septic system and it simply just needs to hold the waste not treat it. He even showed how to make a solution with Pine-Sol and Calgon.

It kind of makes sense, I do agree water is your friend. But, this is the first time I've ever heard of not wanting to break down solids in your black tank. Everybody knows these sensors never work; so, is this the problem that we are making "pancake batter" that is gunking up the sensors?

Honestly, I can't say I'm buying all this, but thought it would be an interesting topic to get others thoughts.
Steven R. Nagel
21 REPLIES 21

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
So thinking about "pancake batter" - the more water I put in it, the thinner it gets so the only answer is to use lots of water. That plus gravity will empty the contents of your black tank regardless of solids being broken down or not. After emptying, use the built in tank sprayer or one of those wands. The only time I put anything in my tanks is while in storage. As for the tank sensors, well those are never right and I never give them much attention.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
A agree that chemicals other than plain old water are not needed on a regular basis. Prior to the last trip of the season home, I fill the tank about half full & pour a couple of cups of low suds liquid laundry detergent & then dump & rinse close to home.

As for not breaking down solids, the "technician" clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. I have a clear elbow on my hose & the only thing I've seen that's remotely solid is the occasional shred of TP. Poop breaks down very quickly just by sitting in the water for a few hours.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think that if your "Solids" are so solid that they don't break down in water easily anyway that you need to eat more fiber.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
nagel wrote:
All good comments. Wasn't my intention on starting the sensor debate again, but good thoughts. I was more reacting to the thought of not using something to break down solids in you tank. Like some said solids will naturally breakdown, but if I don't put something in the tank to help will it create a "dam" inside the tank. Probably not if enough water is used. I guess everything I've ever read or watched has always inferred that you want your black tank to be "mush" and this guy who is a "professional" is indicating the opposite and supports his position by saying the "pancake batter" affects sensors in a negative way.

The Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr4TGBPyPe0

What I've heard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyWMyZ02_7M&t=225s

If you ask me, it's way overthinking it. It's a holding tank, not a septic tank. Stuff only stays in my tanks for 4-5 days at the most. Not nearly enough time for any real breakdown to occur without caustic chemicals, and to what end? Lots of water, no problems.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

nagel
Explorer
Explorer
All good comments. Wasn't my intention on starting the sensor debate again, but good thoughts. I was more reacting to the thought of not using something to break down solids in you tank. Like some said solids will naturally breakdown, but if I don't put something in the tank to help will it create a "dam" inside the tank. Probably not if enough water is used. I guess everything I've ever read or watched has always inferred that you want your black tank to be "mush" and this guy who is a "professional" is indicating the opposite and supports his position by saying the "pancake batter" affects sensors in a negative way.

The Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr4TGBPyPe0

What I've heard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyWMyZ02_7M&t=225s
Steven R. Nagel

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Video 1 of 4 of a famous series:

See inside RV black tank

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dumping a bags worth of ice also is a great way to "clean" the black tank as well and breakdown (macerate) those silly brown pickles.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If they can't make a reliable sensor for a Nuclear plant, how do you expect the "two bit" RV makers to create one that is reliable?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My black tank sensor has never worked, reads 2/3's full even when empty.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plenty of water and a short drive is all you need for a good dump.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have my cell phone on me with a loud "BARK" for the alarm. EASY to get distracted and then the dreaded POOP Volcano comes shooting out the vent on your roof!!!

Only time I get any odors is if I have an exhaust fan running as it will suck odors up thru the toilet drain hole when flushing. I add about one minute of water using the flush with tank drain closed.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use your black tank flush like a loaded gun , you only get one chance to screw every thing up . Do not turn it on a go to a movie or rodeo , stand right there and !

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the solids break down to a fair degree, at least in the sense of turning to mush as opposed to being chemically or biologically transformed, simply from being in water for a period of time.

I find my (standard, probe-style) black tank level monitor is not particularly reliable, the gray tank one mostly accurate but not perfectly so, and the fresh water tank one trustworthy. None, of course, are very precise, with extremely limited resolution. I also find that the gray tank gets pretty near full when my fresh water tank gets pretty near empty, and by then there's sufficient stuff to make emptying the black tank reasonable, so I service all three tanks at the same time based on that.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just adding a couple inches of water after flushing has controlled odors for me for over 30 years.