cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water "Proofing" 30 amp Connections

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Ontario runs to the campsite power post can be quite long, 100' or more not being unusual at all, so using extension cables are a way of life ... to solve this I long ago built a set of custom 10 gauge extension cables terminated with Leviton WetGuard connectors which in years of use have proven to live up to their name when used in really wet conditions. That said, I still have a couple of 25' cables with the standard 30 amp RV connectors which don't offer any particular protection from heavy rain or pooling water. I've never been comfortable just leaving these connections lying on the ground so like most I will at least try to protect them in some way, using an inverted bucket, stool, piece of wood, campsite picnic table, etc, to elevate the connectors off the ground. I'd prefer using some sort of water resistant enclosure designed specifically for the purpose but have never have come across anything suitable, even plastic tool boxes have always been too big. Recently though I discovered an inexpensive plastic shot shell box manufactured by Plano Molding that is readily available just about anywhere, is just the right size, and which has a hinged lid with a rubber O-ring that is secured tightly with a brass bail latch. Modification involved only cutting in the required cable entry & exit holes with a sharp knife and adding a couple of rubber grommets for a tight seal ... pics are below for anyone that may be interested.

30 amp Connection Protection - 2 pics

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380
25 REPLIES 25

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
I'd prefer using some sort of water resistant enclosure designed specifically for the purpose but have never have come across anything suitable, even plastic tool boxes have always been too big. Recently though I discovered an inexpensive plastic shot shell box manufactured by Plano Molding that is readily available just about anywhere, is just the right size, and which has a hinged lid with a rubber O-ring that is secured tightly with a brass bail latch. Modification involved only cutting in the required cable entry & exit holes with a sharp knife and adding a couple of rubber grommets for a tight seal ... pics are below for anyone that may be interested.

I went the cheapo route, I got a plastic pail from the dollar store and put a small eye bolt through the center of the bottom, eye to the inside. A very short bungee cord suspends the connection up inside the inverted pail and well clear of the ground. When I'm packing up, the cord gets coiled inside the pail till next time. Double duty.

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
For some reason I have always been concerned about rain water in the connection. I have a short dog bone connector with 30amp male and 50amp female to hook to the RV. Lots of state parks use 30amp so my connector hangs in the air. To preclude rain water running into the side of the connection, I nearly always wrap shrink plastic from a roll around so the layers overlap, like roof shingles. I did not know rain water was a poor conductor.
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Just gather the two sides of the connection and stuff it in a garbage bag. Wrap the bag around the cables at the the entrance. Cheap, readily available, and less obtrusive than a large box. Elevate it off the ground if you want to with a chunk of wood or a rock.

Simple, and it works. Use the garbage bag when you break camp - you always need one then.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Brilliant. I was just thinking about this while camping this weekend at Selkirk PP. Thanks
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JD and Beastlet wrote:
One Plano shot shell box on order from amazon.ca - CAD 13.99. ๐Ÿ™‚

For any other Canadians who may be interested this Plano Shot Shell Box is also sold off the shelf at any Canadian Tire store at the same price. For our American friends it's readily available online for ~ $8 US.

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Yo John, welcome to the sandbox! :B Oh boy, now the neighbourhood has really gone to the dogs :E ... between you and I we ought to be able to stir debate that turns molehills into mountains, no problem at all! :W

No doot aboot it!

One Plano shot shell box on order from amazon.ca - CAD 13.99. ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400.
restcure.ca

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
An side- we had a humidifier which is simply a reservoir with two wires stuck down in to it- the wires hooked to the power cord. Our water is pure enough that it wouldn't do much- though it would sizzle a bit. Add a teaspoon of salt, and the thing goes to town.
-- Chris Bryant

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
puddles on the ground contain minerals, so it becomes a conductor
condensation inside a container should be pure, rain water is NOT always pure
it can collect dust particles from the air
anyway the container the OP has constructed is an excellent idea
pure water could act as insulator in a loose connection causing resistance to go up and create more heat
Maybe you're on to something. A back up source for HOT water! :B

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
swamprat 01 wrote:
I use a Tupperware box with a notch cut in each end for the cord to pass thru, I have also used an ammo box in the past too.

Same here, I used either a Tupperware or Rubbermaid container.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JD and Beastlet wrote:
Nice mod - thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Hey Bill, is that you?

Yo John, welcome to the sandbox! :B Oh boy, now the neighbourhood has really gone to the dogs :E ... between you and I we ought to be able to stir debate that turns molehills into mountains, no problem at all! :W

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I never worried about it, just plug them together and throw em on the ground.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Is "acid rain" pure?
bumpy

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
Nice mod - thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Hey Bill, is that you?
2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400.
restcure.ca

MrWizard
puddles on the ground contain minerals, so it becomes a conductor
condensation inside a container should be pure, rain water is NOT always pure
it can collect dust particles from the air
anyway the container the OP has constructed is an excellent idea
pure water could act as insulator in a loose connection causing resistance to go up and create more heat
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s