cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to use to create a "nightstand" ledge next to bed?

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
What are you folks using to create a ledge or shelf? I have to have water by my bed as well as eye drops, sleep-aids, etc., but the unit that we are considering has no ledges.

Would love to see some of your mods for this type of situation!

Thanks for your help in advance!
24 REPLIES 24

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
We bought this: plexiglass corner shelf. I attached it using industrial velcro. It is very light weight and seems to hold well. At night it is usually home to a drink (with a lid, just in case), the remote, and my kindle.

Wow! The velcro is strong enough to hold up all that weight, huh? I would be afraid to knock over the water...but it is nice and unobtrusive looking!

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Good ideas so far, but if you were to add a pic of your sleeping area, you might get more ideas.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I mounted one of these folding cup holders to the wall beside the bed. It is identical to the ones that Winnebago installed at the factory. It folds flat (about 3/8" thick) against the wall when not in use.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Link to above mentioned shelf kit.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

John_Burke
Explorer
Explorer
Try this shelf kit or a similar one. Used a small 3/4 screw and holds small items well. Water bottle, heated pad control, flashlight, etc.
I got mine at Menards, but most places, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, sell them. Looks decent and works well.

4-Piece Honey Pine Decorative Ledge Set
Model Number: 0139-HNY4 | Menardsยฎ SKU: 2114992
Variation: Honey

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I used this and put one up on each side of the bed. It's perfect for a drink, glasses and my alarm clock.

IKEA Shelf
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The drawer idea with a cover has been around forever. I see this idea from google search shows a neat way to have the grooves cut into the bottom of the board you are using to hold it in place....

neat idea...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We bought this: plexiglass corner shelf. I attached it using industrial velcro. It is very light weight and seems to hold well. At night it is usually home to a drink (with a lid, just in case), the remote, and my kindle.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Wife has the nightstand on her side of the master bedroom, I have a drawer. That's right, I use the top drawer on my side cause I have the " wardrobe closet with 2 drawers below" so I use my top drawer to hold my nightstand stuff..

1 bottle of water
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Pepperoni
Explorer
Explorer
janegowest wrote:
What are you folks using to create a ledge or shelf? I have to have water by my bed as well as eye drops, sleep-aids, etc., but the unit that we are considering has no ledges.

Would love to see some of your mods for this type of situation!

Thanks for your help in advance!

You could build a simple metal holder to keep your favorite mug or jug close at hand. Use a suitable metal (or plastic) sheet. It will attach under your mattress (screwed to the wood beneath the mattress.
The only work to be done is to bend the work stock around the lip of the bed and to make a hole of a suitable size to fit your mug/jug.
The piece is then screwed down under the mattress, and reaches away from the bed to hold your water mug.

------/______

You can size your holder to fit your favorite medicines, either using more holes, or fit sticky velcro to your meds, etc