cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who's idea was it?

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Who came up with the 5 inch fence post and rain gutter hose storage idea? I did search but give me the short cut to who came up with it. Was it Westend? ๐Ÿ™‚
22 REPLIES 22

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
rjxj wrote:
Who came up with the 5 inch fence post and rain gutter hose storage idea? I did search but give me the short cut to who came up with it. Was it Westend? ๐Ÿ™‚
Nope, I copied others. My brain is in a fog today so memory cells have shut down to power other functions but, IIRC, forum member C.B. was on the ground floor of development.

Wish I could take credit for the idea but I can't.

Someone else posted the idea before me. It's been so long I'm not able to remember where I saw it.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
If you get one of those stretchy hoses, you can curl it up in a margarine (Shedd's Spread) container.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Just another thought,, I can fold my green hose (flushing hose) and store it there in the bumper,, The hose is 25', should only have a few folds in it!!

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Well see.. I just found a use for the bumper,,to hold the flag pole and accessories!! Only issue is,,,,,,,,,sometimes I find find the rubber caps gone or almost gone,,, I have to mod the cap to stay on!! Love this place!! So many cool mods to do!! One leads to another!!

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
Plus, with the post you put the hose in a vinyl gutter then just carry the gutter to your sewer outlet and set it in the slinky.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

bnk190
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
I use the existing 4" steel bumper to store my extendable flagpole.
Below that I have a 5" fence post to hold the 7' ladder from Camping World.
Another 5" fence post, with the gutter inside, located near the dump valves.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

radioadam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. See...these are the things a new owner never thinks of until problems occur down the road. First trip out in mine, I did have a complaint that the sewer pipe elbow won't fit, so it rides in the bed of the truck now, but rust eating up the hose...never considered it. Info like this is what this website is all about.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
radioadam wrote:
Cool mod guys...but, why? I understand some don't have the square bumper to store the hose in, but some of the pictures above show a lonely square bumper and the fence post mod. Why is the fence post better than the bumper that is already there?

The Rhino hose has larger couplings than normal and they barely fit in a 4" bumper, also the adapter that comes with the hose does not fit in the 4" bumper.
Last sewer hose I had developed small pin hole leaks from sliding in and out of the 4" bumper. (slight rust inside).
As stated previously you can use a piece of plastic gutter and make a tray to slide in and out.
Allot more convenient!!

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
radioadam wrote:
Cool mod guys...but, why? I understand some don't have the square bumper to store the hose in, but some of the pictures above show a lonely square bumper and the fence post mod. Why is the fence post better than the bumper that is already there?

Here are a few:

1. It doesn't rust and normal metal bumpers WILL eventually rust and really start eating sewer hoses from the scraping. This was the original reason I used the fence post when the bottom of my original bumper on my 81 rusted thru enough on the bottom that the hose starting bulging out of the bottom.

2. If you use the 5" then you can add the gutter tray and also store things like the sewer fittings in there ... this is alone is a HUGE ADVANTAGE on it's own IMO. On mine I also store my toilet "swivel stick" for flushing the black tank.

3. My second trailer didn't even have a sewer bumper and what was from the factory was a 4" round pipe only about 30" long screwed parallel to the frame rail and very inconvenient.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

radioadam
Explorer
Explorer

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
That is going to be a toughie. Some, of us, were talking about it in 2002. The idea was an offshoot of the square bumpers then being used for slink storage.

I agree and quite a few years before I joined here which was back in 2007 I had replaced my rusted out square metal bumper on my 1981 Prowler with a 4" vinyl fence post. When I did that mod I came up with that idea on my own w/o reference to any prior knowledge. However, that doesn't mean that was the first time it was done it's just that when I did that particular mod I didn't get any outside information on what to use or how to do it.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
That is going to be a toughie. Some, of us, were talking about it in 2002. The idea was an offshoot of the square bumpers then being used for slink storage.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
I just did this mod today,, it was a Three beer job,,I had all the mounting stuff (galvanized strap and stainless steel bolts and Nylock nuts) Cost was right at $28, Beers were not included in the installation price..
Gotta say this is a wonderful and useful mod,, I located it just behind the rear stabilizers, very close to the sewer outlet!