cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2011 Flagstaff Falling apart, lol!

Brantime
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2011 is having a mid life crisis, lol! Had to send it back to the factory due to floor issues in 2013. Now, the battery went out, the AC went out last week, and had to replace the converter at the same time. We still have issues with the floors...
Just another day in Paradise!
18 REPLIES 18

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
... maintenance of cleaning filters and yearly washing of the coils in the roof top portion...
Cleaning the evaporator from the inside once a year helps as well.

In normal use, keeping the air filters clean (about 2 weeks of use between cleaning) you should get 3 or 4 years on the evaporator cleaning.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Explorer II
Explorer II
TXiceman wrote:
... maintenance of cleaning filters and yearly washing of the coils in the roof top portion...
Cleaning the evaporator from the inside once a year helps as well.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, any RV is all about MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE and more Maintenance.

Batteries have a practical life of 3 to 5 years (maybe 6 to 7 years) in normal use. A/C units are a big question, 5 years and up. The older units would make 20 years with care. Newer units 5 to 10 years. But again maintenance of cleaning filters and yearly washing of the coils in the roof top portion.

Leaks...check the caulk and seals twice a year and make repairs as necessary.

Another often overlooked are is the brakes, bearings and tires.

An RV is not a low maintenance item to park beside the house and then latch on to it an take off a few time a year.

After all of the maintenance, you get to go enjoy the RV.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
SH wrote:
brokeagainbutnotout wrote:
It was in the open where road crud could hit it. I cleaned it up, etc ... solved the converter and AC problem. It would be a good idea to periodically check the ground, especially if it is exposed to the elements.

Interestingly enough, we came back to our rig after a day trip to find none of the 12V systems working. Grabbed my meter to go out and check the batteries. Burnt my fingers on the ground connection to the battery as well! Connection was loose and a bit dirty. Cleaned and tightened and all was well! These connections are now part of my "pre-flight" before each trip.

To add to this story about checking connections I had a problem years ago just before we hit the road after 6 months in Az. It was the screws that hold the wires to the block of wires in the power box inside the fifth. Vibration's from traveling can loosen the set screw and cause a spark. when we called the local rv store for help the tech already knew the problem and now I have checked them a couple of times since . Of course remove the outside power plug.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

SH
Explorer
Explorer
brokeagainbutnotout wrote:
It was in the open where road crud could hit it. I cleaned it up, etc ... solved the converter and AC problem. It would be a good idea to periodically check the ground, especially if it is exposed to the elements.

Interestingly enough, we came back to our rig after a day trip to find none of the 12V systems working. Grabbed my meter to go out and check the batteries. Burnt my fingers on the ground connection to the battery as well! Connection was loose and a bit dirty. Cleaned and tightened and all was well! These connections are now part of my "pre-flight" before each trip.
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

brokeagainbutno
Explorer
Explorer
I am posting a little late, found this thread because I follow Jerry's comments. Before his 5th W, he had a MH like mine so he has seen the problems:)

In regards to the converter, a good maintenance check is the ground. I was having problems with my AC kicking in and out, the converter going off-line, etc. Only by accident, not any diagnostic skill, did I find a ground problem. I burnt my fingers where the ground was attached to the frame. It was in the open where road crud could hit it. I cleaned it up, etc ... solved the converter and AC problem. It would be a good idea to periodically check the ground, especially if it is exposed to the elements. Maybe this will help someone researching converter or AC problems
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

Brantime
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys! Thanks for all the suggestions...I mainly posted just to vent a little, not cause any issues, lol. I know that things happen...just hopefully not all at once, lol. Thanks again friends!

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
CarlT100 wrote:
Maybe we are supposed to wash and wax our converters and check the oil?

No oil, but maybe the electron fluid needs to be changed.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! N F double check your stuff, I am sure something has quit working at some point and was mainly because it is a mechanical device, system or such. I am on my 6th RV and only issues I ever had were not due to neglect, just stuff happens. so again, never had any issues with any of those items and never did regular maintenance on them other than the norm.
Brantime, hang in there, all will end up working out in the long run. Maybe this is your time to look for a replacement, could be a reason too!!! Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe we are supposed to wash and wax our converters and check the oil?
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
I hope if ever I need advice, Newman Fulltimer will chime in with his cheerful most helpful comments.....

SH
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
So in saying it sounds more like a lack of maint which is all on you

Wow...that seems a little harsh! OP was simply sharing his RV issues on a forum and doing so with a seemingly good attitude I might add. Not everything that breaks or wears out can be attributed to lack of maintenance.
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

Brantime
Explorer
Explorer
if you would have checked batteries they would have got caught before they boiled out shorted and fried the converter without a converter or batt how do you know the ac is bad? Well, the batteries did not boil out or short out...I checked the voltage, called RV dealership and was told my battery needed to be replaced SOON. So I changed out batteries. My converter went out a couple months later...found out it was only putting out 9 volts...didn't fry. The dealership also told me my compressor was making noise and not cooling as it should, so, had it changed too...

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Brantime wrote:
Not real sure what type of maintenance you do on your converter, or how a compressor going out is a maintenance issue, but if you say so, I am guilty of lack of care? As far as I know, all batteries fail...just a matter of time...but thanks again!

if you would have checked batteries they would have got caught before they boiled out shorted and fried the converter without a converter or batt how do you know the ac is bad?