cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 Cherokee 235B

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
After 4 years with our smaller travel trailer we decided to upgrade to a 5th wheel. Found a perfect floor plan for our family with a short bunkhouse. Overall length under 30’ so we can still fit in most of our favorite campgrounds around here. Overall a great buying experience with just a few bugs found so far...I’m sure there will be more. I love the extra space with the slide, storage, headroom and fifth wheel towing is a dream. Wife loves the more modern furnishings and overall design. Bunks for the kids are great...no more dinette sleeping for them.

Shakedown trip will be Christmas weekend...maybe more to report then. For now a couple pics...

Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold
8 REPLIES 8

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Glad your first trip went well! With any new RV, it is kind of a learning experience. I know that bathroom sinks are sometimes plumbed into the black tank, but if that shower empties there too, it's going to fill up fast.

Hope you enjoy many future camps! 🙂

Jerry

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats on the new 5er. The small tanks would definately rule it out for us. But a large 4 wheel blue tank would help that out greatly. Enjoy your new memory maker!!! Kids will never forget these times. Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Updating after our first shakedown trip...Christmas weekend trip to Patagonia Lake State Park southeast of Tucson. Great trip with a lot of tinkering with the new trailer and learning new systems. Santa delivered to our stockings hung by the LED electric fireplace.

First impressions...overall we are very pleased with this trailer, especially the floor plan and design. Lots more storage than our previous trailer even though not as gargantuan as larger fifth wheel storage. Overall construction and quality of components is nice. DW especially likes the more modern flooring, cabinets, hardware, and appliances compared to our previous trailer. We love it and looking forward to years of fun in this trailer with our family.

Kids love their bunk beds, but no ladder...easily remedied with a removable ladder from Amazon.Ladder Kids also really like the blue LED light strips inside and out.

Besides the storage my favorite feature is the solid step. We didn’t even know what we were missing until we got the new trailer.

Bathroom faucet is lacking...very low flow and barely clearance to get half of my hand under the water against the back of the sink. 28 gallon holding tanks will be very limiting for us...we were aware of this at purchase, but willingly compromised for the floor plan we wanted. Shower and bathroom sink are plumbed into black tank which may further complicate this. There is no battery disconnect switch, as evidenced by my batteries being at 1/3 after only 3 weeks in storage...this was easily remedied with a DIY install.

My biggest issue with the trailer is the suspension and clearance which is very minimal. There is barely 1.5” of clearance between the rear tire and the trailer and already showing wear on the wheel well. I found this Recall for similar issue with other Cherokee models, and will be pursuing a similar fix. My trailer service guy looked at it and recommended either a lift block as described in the recall or beefier leaf springs.

Santa also brought me a propane monitor that I really like.
Propane monitor

Overall we’re very pleased and having fun breaking in the new trailer. Can’t wait for the next trip...

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add that I went with B&W Companion Slider based on several threads here, plus I already had their turnover ball gooseneck installed. Very happy with that decision.

A couple of design things I’ve found already...the black flush is on the rear of the trailer so I have to fold the storage rack down to access it. The spare tire is mounted to the storage rack, so folding it down places the tire close enough to the ground that I’m concerned about scraping the tire on the ground, especially on a sharp hill or parking lot entrance...I may work on a different way to mount the tire on top of the rack.

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Ark235B wrote:
Funny. I have a 1966 Cherokee 235B.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN3he5mA9uCX7mVZcR3MeEZ_fKHAVc-cPMJS81Y

I can’t open the link, but I assume it’s a Piper Cherokee. Those kept coming up every time I searched Cherokee 235B online. Nice!

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Looks nice. Congrats!!! See you have the solid 4 step, fireplace too. Nice pic of the kids in their bunks.

Thanks. I was very glad to see the solid step already installed as an option when we got to the dealer. Fireplace doesn’t do a lot for me personally, but my wife and kids love it so it’s great.

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W

Ark235B
Explorer
Explorer
Funny. I have a 1966 Cherokee 235B.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN3he5mA9uCX7mVZcR3MeEZ_fKHAVc-cPMJS81Y
Justin Holder
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab SWB "600" Cummins
2010 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 270RKS Fifth Wheel
PPSEL

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Looks nice. Congrats!!! See you have the solid 4 step, fireplace too. Nice pic of the kids in their bunks.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"