cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slides moving

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
I have my trailer stored for winter and plugged in for a week at a time. Over that course of a week I noticed my back slide keeps creeping out about 3 inchs. Any ideas what it could be
6 REPLIES 6

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
My Cardinal did the same thing. If you have the Lippert hydraulic slide system, the problem is most likely a bad cylinder. The cylinder needs to hold pressure when the pump is not running. When one of them has a internal leak, it allows the pressure to leak off of the whole system. There will be no loss of fluid. You can find a troubleshooting guide on the net. I replaced the cylinder that was bypassing, and the slides all stay in now. I did replace the whole pump system first and it did not help. The cost of the cylinder was around $100.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
No idea on a cause for you, but our old coach did the same thing over the course of it's winter storage. Upon pulling it out of storage in April, cycled things and all okay till next spring.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

drwwicks
Explorer
Explorer
On my motorhome with the HWH hydraulic slides, there are extend and retract valves by the pump. Generally speaking a creeping slide is a bad valve. There are trouble shooting guides to determine which one. But before replacing you can try "flushing" it. Open the relief valve on the expend or retract valve and actuate the pump. That will run fluid through the valve and IF it's some debris, it MAY wash it away back to the reservoir. Big IF and MAY.

If you have slide locks try and use them.
2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2015 Harley Davidson FLHTKL

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
If hydraulic, try a little purge before you go to the shop. Run out, hold for a 3 to 5 count, run in hold, out hold and back in. This has worked for me, and the slides stay in. If it does not work, you have lost nothing but a little time.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Another possibility is an internal ram leak, a$$-u-ming you have hydraulic slides. Bad o-rings or a scored cylinder, which can cut an o-ring, are the main causes for internal cylinder leaks. Valves, though, are usually the culprit, more often than not. Get one little piece of cr@p on the valve seat and you'll have a small leak. When you're dealing with high-pressure systems (3k psi and up) that leak will literally eat away the valve and/or seat over time. Amazing to see the damage a microscopic leak can turn into.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
If there hydraulic it's probably a bad valve. Had to replace one on our fifth wheel. The slide was creeping out while driving down the road.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian