cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 or 40# lp tanks

rogers81
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Jayco North Point. It has 30# lp tanks. I want to know if I can replace the 30# LP tanks with 40# LP tanks without any modifications?
8 REPLIES 8

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
May work if tanks will secure in the same manner or with modifications. Also, as others have said, connections may be an issue. You may run into problems getting the tank through the doorway. I would purchase the new tanks and attempt to fit them empty before filling them. If not filled, you should be able to return them with no issues if your plan doesn't work.

One other point. Don't know where you intend to camp but 2, 30lb bottles go a long way and propane is usually pretty easy to get. Is this modification something you really need to do? Would carrying an extra 20 or 30 pound bottle serve the same purpose? Just a thought.

Good luck and Happy Camping.
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
30# --------------- 40#
Capacity (gallons).... 7.1 gal ------------- 9.4 gal
Weight (empty) ....... 24# ----------------- 29#
Weight (full) ........ 54# ----------------- 70#
Overall Height ....... 24" ----------------- 29"
Diameter ............. 12.5" --------------- 12.5"

40# cylinder is 5" taller and FULL weighs 70#

Do you have overhead space in current propane compartment?
Can you lift 70# up into compartment sticking top of cylinder up and in before setting bottom down into rack? (Doubt compartment door is tall enough to set bottom in and then tilt cylinder fully in...like is done with current 30#)
Would need longer pigtail hoses and a longer hold down bracket rod

We FTd and typically went 6 weeks on a 30#.

Unless doing a LOT of COLD weather use 30#s are quite adequate
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with DaveandSue. The 30# tanks are heavy enough to lift. Have you lifted either of them when full up into the compartment ? And the older you get, the heavier THEY get.

It's your business, but FWIW, one of those 30# tanks lasts a good long time.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind the $$, I highly recommend aluminum cylinders- an Aluminum 40# weighs about the same as a 30# steel cylinder.
-- Chris Bryant

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Think of the added weight.I don't like lifting the 30# tanks into the small door area.I can't imagine doing the 40 pounders at all.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
As long as you have the headroom you should be good to go.
Although if spending money consider just getting two more 30# if you have a place to transport them upright and need the capacity.

Functionally it is the same whether it is 20# or 200# tank.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
And your may need a longer threaded rod for the hold down clamp. Also, if you have a propane tank cover, it won't fit properly.

Does not apply. My mistake. I now noticed "Fifth-Wheels", not Travel Trailers.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the standard 40lb tank is about 6" taller with the same diameter. Will it fit and the hoses reach?