cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

36 ft FW vs 30 ft TT backing

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to see if my FW will fit a campsite I have booked. My FW is 36 ft overall and my dads TT is 30 ft. The CG says the TT will fit in the site, but the FW will not fit because of site access (too sharp of turn), not because the site is too small for my FW. I'm thinking they would be very similar in maneuverability because of my FW being over the axle. What say you?
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge
35 REPLIES 35

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
We have had travel trailers for most of the 18 years with rv and fifth wheel at about two and a half years of those. In all the towing I have done, for me, backing the fifth wheel can have its challenges. I so far have been able to get into all the spots we have picked. some are super tight, but like said before, watch not only the sides, but the top and bottom too! My co-pilot and spotter, Oh my best friend and wife, Is the best. I have at times got out and double checked, she reminds me then she won't let me hit anything. She is awesome. OH sorry, but we also check google maps and get an idea of the space before we make reservations. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
davisenvy wrote:
I am trying to see if my FW will fit a campsite I have booked. My FW is 36 ft overall and my dads TT is 30 ft. The CG says the TT will fit in the site, but the FW will not fit because of site access (too sharp of turn), not because the site is too small for my FW. I'm thinking they would be very similar in maneuverability because of my FW being over the axle. What say you?
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
davisenvy wrote:

Well, I have a 37 foot 5th wheel. I had a 30 foot travel trailer. By far the TT is easier to back up. I have a long bed, crew ercab, which makes it more difficult to back up. Out next 5th wheel will be shorter than 37 feet.
ken and sue
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

700g
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I've only been 5th wheeling for 5 seasons. I still embarrassed myself. 🙂 Sometimes it's the mirrors, other times I miss the mark 2-3 times. Sometimes I nail it on the 1st try. If the site is on my left when backing in and visibility's good I can usually nail it. On the curb side it's harder.
A backup camera is on the spring to do list.
Part of my problem is the DW. She still doesn't understand that the 5er reacts slower than our TT did. By the time I get the "Go that way" message, I'm too far into the procedure. If the sight is gravel I drag a line with my foot and say this is where I want the 5er tires to go. The other thing I found is to go SLOW when backing up. If you go too fast you'll overshoot your correction point.
I'd much rather back up a TT any day.
Agree on rather back a TT.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Sure go for it. The campground don't know what fits on their sites.

90% of the time they don't.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
wing_zealot wrote:

We were at an otherwise nice campground but they insist on directing you into the sites. Over a week, I watched as the super knowledgeable staff directed three rigs to scrape along the same tree branch.

No, I don't trust the campground staff to know much of anything.

Side note: If you are having difficulty because the 5er starts turning slowly, learn to do a "Z" turn on the approach as it primes the turn to get you past the slow to start turning issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
I forgot to mention, make sure you buy a spare rear window for your truck. Your going to want it for the ride home.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
I've only been 5th wheeling for 5 seasons. I still embarrassed myself. 🙂 Sometimes it's the mirrors, other times I miss the mark 2-3 times. Sometimes I nail it on the 1st try. If the site is on my left when backing in and visibility's good I can usually nail it. On the curb side it's harder.
Part of my problem is the DW. She still doesn't understand that the 5er reacts slower than our TT did. By the time I get the "Go that way" message, I'm too far into the procedure. If the sight is gravel I drag a line with my foot and say this is where I want the 5er tires to go. The other thing I found is to go SLOW when backing up. If you go too fast you'll overshoot your correction point.

Blind side backs are the hardest, CDL drivers try to avoid them. Can you approce from the other way and make it a site side back? Secrets the spotter and the directions. Go to an empty parking lot with her and practice backing into the painted stalls. DW traveled with me when I did CDL and we make a great team with the little 35ft 5W.

Good idea. Ironically I've had her back in while I gave instructions when we were in some really tight situations. It worked perfect. But the testosterone in me just can't give up the drivers seat on a regular basis. 🙂

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd say, given the site itself is long enough, that the difference between can do & can't do is the skill of the driver & the directions given by the spotter. There has not been a 30' max CG that we have not been able to get our just <36' selves into.

There have been differences of opinion between driver & spotter but the driver has final word. There have been a few, very few, times when the driver has had to concede defeat & move to another site, however most times when the spotter has doubts, she gets told yes we can now get us in there. Any unsolicited advice from surrounding inhabitants is politely ignored.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:

Blind side backs are the hardest, CDL drivers try to avoid them. Can you approce from the other way and make it a site side back? Secrets the spotter and the directions. Go to an empty parking lot with her and practice backing into the painted stalls. DW traveled with me when I did CDL and we make a great team with the little 35ft 5W.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If there's one thing about a TT that's better than a FW, it's the ease of which to back up. TT requires much smaller steering input than a FW and it's not uncommon to have to saw the steering wheel back and forth with near lock to lock movement compared to the half turn a TT needs.
Certainly a skilled driver can put either one in a given spot but it just requires a lot less movement on behalf of both the operator and the truck to back a standard trailer into a tight spot.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
A 36 foot fiver would go anywhere a 30 foot tag would go.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been backing fivers for near 30 yrs and while I've never had a site I couldn't get into, I disagree with most. Maybe I'm just not proficient as everyone else. But I would say the opposite, I could put a 36 ft TT into the space as a 30 ft fiver. With a TT you have to be careful because it reacts so fast. But with the slowness of a fiver, it is ez to run out of maneuvering room for the tow vehicle. Now if there is plenty of room in front of the site and the only issue is how sharp the trailer needs to be jack-knifed, then the fiver might be better. But since the CG is saying the fiver won't work, I would go with their judgement as the only knowledge and eyes on the site rather than inputs here. My $0.02.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos