cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5er roof options

clinte89
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. My wife and I are new to the rv life and my camper has a few roof leaks that I've fixed temporarily but it was leaking at some point so I have some rot that I'm repairing and I was wondering what options I have for roof skin. I've repaired many semi trailers and skied those with aluminum roof skin but it seems all rvs have rubber roof. So I'm wondering what options I have other than rubber to replace my rv roof. I've searched alot and have read alot about rubber but would like to know all my options. There are tears in the rubber so it has to be replaced.
12 REPLIES 12

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
From what others have reported on getting their RV's reskinned with EPDM/TPO, and the costs of such, I'd look at RV Armor roofing. It's certainly not any costlier and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

What is roughly the cost for RV Armor, say a 40 foot fiver? Is it recommended for a new roof? Ours is one year old RV but I don't want issues once we begin to travel and I don't like heights, scared to death up there.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
If the tears are small, RV armor will probably still work. Call the company and ask. They may want a picture.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
From what others have reported on getting their RV's reskinned with EPDM/TPO, and the costs of such, I'd look at RV Armor roofing. It's certainly not any costlier and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
If it's not the seams, such as edges around A/C or vents, then I would go with the rubber. It is more cost effective although it is not cheap. Hopefully all you have to do is reseal seams. Hopefully you don't have a lot of inside damage.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
clinte89 wrote:
I was to understand that an rv roof with holes in the rubber would not be good with the rv armor. If it would work well that would be great. I only have one or two small tears the rest of t is in good shape.

With RV-Armor, or a similar product, the roof is =stripped=, right down to the wood. Any repairs to the decking are done, then the coating is applied and all vents, antennae and A/C units are replaced. I looked in to this for my FW, but it was about 60% of the value of my trailer, so I declined. No =way= I'd ever recover that on sale.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
The two most popular roof materials...EPDM and TPO...were invented for use on flat roof commercial buildings and years ago adopted by the RV industry. Both are good but TPO has advantages over EPDM. TPO can be scrubbed where as EPDM should never be scrubbed....it removes material designed to protect the remaining membrane. Also TPO repairs can be done better because TPO can be fused the way plastic drain pipe is glued together giving a permenant seal. I for one have used Eternabond and will never use it again. Inspect and touch up the sealant once or twice a year and I have never had a problem...unlike with the EB tape.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-man wrote:
All RV's have rubber roofs, options,rubber roof!

Rubber EPDM membrane has proven over the years to be a very cost effective solution and as such is the most commonly used by many trailer manufacturers but some (KZ Spree being an example) instead feature a TPO vinyl membrane. Many older roofs used to be metal and on smaller trailers such as the RPod the fiberglass front wall curves up to form the roof and then back down to form the rear wall, all as one continuous piece. Alpha Systems which produces the majority of RV roof membranes has also introduced new roof membrane products such as AlphaPly and Superflex ... so to suggest that "all RVs have rubber roofs" is simply not true at all. There are plenty options available other than EPDM rubber that the OP may choose for his roof repair.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
I have been hearing about truck bed liner sprayed on the roof. does add a quite a bit of weight though
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

clinte89
Explorer
Explorer
I was to understand that an rv roof with holes in the rubber would not be good with the rv armor. If it would work well that would be great. I only have one or two small tears the rest of t is in good shape.

Sunnyside42
Explorer
Explorer
More often than not, it's the seams and edges where a RV roof fails. Check out eternabond.com. If you really want to seal things up, IMHO, this is the way to go. Run a line of eternabond tape around all your skylights, antennas and edges and you've gone a really long way towards eliminating water entry points.

*edit*
Of course my note above was intended to help with a repair. The link above to RV-armor is one of the best solutions I've seen to refinish the entire roof.

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
Option #2
http://rv-armor.com/index.html
klassic
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
2017 F350 Platinum
Reese Signature Series 18K slider
520watts solar

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
All RV's have rubber roofs, options,rubber roof!