cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Wheel for a Large Family - Full Time

kjmedwards
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are going to take our 5 kids on the road for a year+ to get out of the rat-race. Luckily, I have a great job that allows for me to work remotely and I am all set on that.
After a lot of work, we think that for our family, a 5th wheel is the way to go instead of a Class A.
We have worked out the towing logistics as we are going to purchase a Ram Heavy Duty Diesel and getting it customized with a sleeper bench so we can sit all comfortably. We are going to rig this with a Reese Sidewinder for towing.

So what I wanted to ask the group is, if anyone has some recommendations for a large fiver that can sleep my family comfortablable (4 boys 6, 6, 10, 12) and my daughter 10.

We like the concept of using a toy hauler that has drop down bed(s) and can covert into quality living space in the day. We also like the 1/2 bath in the back and a space for a 2nd fridge and washer/dryer stack.

I know that the market is full of options but we are new to the 5th wheel world and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions? THanks in advance for any ideas you might have.

Kevin
22 REPLIES 22

John_Bridge
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite toy hauler is the Fusion 395. It's got everything you want including the half-bath in the back. I think you'll be taxing the Ram, though, with the extra stuff you're adding. I've toured the 395. I'd buy it but my significant other won't allow it. 🙂
Semi-"retarred" in 2006. 🙂 2008 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel, 2008 Dodge diesel dually to pull it with.

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice sleepers.... so weight and floor plan are next... If toy hauler is your preference...

I would look at the 2010 Heartland Cyclone 3010 - neighbor has one and he likes it a lot - has sleeping for 8 anyways - also has a ton of sitting and table space.

Safe travels
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

kjmedwards
Explorer
Explorer
Great question on the TV. We will be buying a Diesel Dually with lots of power and a 8foot bed. We will be having http://www.cowtownsleepers.com add a sleeper unit to the truck and makes a club crew truck comfortably seat 8 (especially when young). We have already talked with them and they are ready to go once I buy the right truck (in progress now). The extra seat they will add has seatbelts and they have alot of experience with getting these trucks ready for large families that pull fivers.

The Reese Sidewinder will be mounted on the truck as the pulling device.

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
I see the three biggest issues as:

1. Room in the TV for 7 people. I don't know of a pickup that support 7 people (could be wrong).

2. Places to sleep - lots of options with either a toy hauler or a bunk house.

3. The amount of stuff (clothes, food, etc) that will add weight to the rig.

The Toy Hauler will give you room for more stuff... (and possibly for sleeping) and the bunk house gives you a nice comfy place for sleeping and kids hang out.

We towed with a Chevy Express 3500 (4 kids) and towed a TT Bunkhouse and had a great time. And lots of power and room. Just my thoughts.
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Large family doesn't say how many bed are needed. While a toyhauler would seem to make sense as all the families needs must be taken along, using the toy space for additional beds negates the area's use for beds/bunkbed other than one up high in the toy loft area. I'm assuming only one vehicle (the tow vehicle) is going to be in the picture or if 2 are a thought, the second vehicle like a reasonably decent fuel mileage van etc could also hold many of the families year needs and serve as backup transportation. Large family needs a number and age or size of the kids and how far your travels will reach and maybe if several weeks in one spot are to be a part of your planning. Sure makes a big difference!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
A toy hauler is the right choice.

2nd toilet room is a nice option to have with a large family. However if you stay in RV parks most have restrooms close to the RV spots so don't let it be a deal breaker.

Some also have a loft area which would be a good sleeping spot for all of the boys.

If you can get to a large RV Show, one that is put on by many different RV dealers or RVIA (recreational vehicle industry association) you will be able to see many different floorplans. Choose a couple that you like and then shop the internet for the best price.

Used is a wise choice to save thousands of dollars and some initial frustration with the many bugs(defects) that come with some new RVs.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Toy hauler as you explained makes a lot of sense, lots of flexibility. The ramps on some can also be made into a patio or screen porch arrangement. Make sure you have plenty of suitable storage space. Not sure what your work needs are on the road, but whatever that is ... As I read your post the Voltage came to mind, saw it at a show, but there are others too.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy USED......2-3 yrs. old

Has already taken the big depreciation from new price and will have had majority of 'bugs' worked out.

Floorplan is the biggest factor.
Find the one that works for you & family.
They all use the same components/equipment and are basically the same when it comes to quality.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31