cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Wheel Hitch or Gooseneck Hitch?

lonewolf64
Explorer
Explorer
I have a few questions and would like your opinion. We have a 2011 4X4 Ram Diesel Crewcab long bed DRW and we use it to haul a horse trailer most of the time, but we also have a 5th wheel that we have not been able to use since we sold our Ford. I have been kicking around the idea of just getting the gooseneck hitch since our 5th wheel has the adapter already on it. We used a Firebhawk hitch many years ago, which was both, but we have gotten rid of it and I don't think they are in business anymore. We would haul the 5th wheel more then a gooseneck and we want to travel more with our 5th wheel. Our 5th wheel is 1994 29 ft with 1 slide. I see there are newer type hitches that have some type of suspension (Trailer Saver air-ride hitches and ???), and I would like to know what your thoughts are on my questions. Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch with B&W Companion fifth wheel hitch accessory unit is the answer to your problem.

B&W also makes the Companion fifth wheel unit to fit the newer Ford/GM/Dodge factory gooseneck hitches.

Actually, the Companion mentioned above fits in the factory 5th wheel prep pucks. It has nothing to do with the factory gooseneck prep receiver.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
lonewolf64, many mfrs will void the frame warranty if you use a GN adapter, due to the fact that it will place excess stresses on the frame due to the geometry of the hitch system. My recommendation would be to consider the Andersen Ultimate hitch, which will utilize the existing GN ball as an anchor, but keeps the hitch point in the same plane as the FW king pin. This greatly reduces the forces acting to put excess forces on the frame. This is coming from a B&W "fanboy" who will continue to use his B&W Companion as long as it lasts. 🙂

FWIW, I recently towed a 26' Lance FW with a GN adapter on it, from Phoenix to Durango CO, and I can tell you it was one rough ride; much worse than towing my 29' Komfort on my Companion.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
As Matthew (ChooChooMan74) said, you will get a lot of comments. Many of those advocating against the use of a true gooseneck adapter have extensive backgrounds in engineering and/or the automotive or RV industries. Search the forums and you will find dozens - if not hundreds - of threads on the subject. I would do as suggested and look at either the Andersen Ultimate or the B&W Companion. Both of these will attach to your gooseneck ball, put the forces on the pin box and trailer frame in the correct manner, and not void your frame warranty like a true gooseneck adapter will.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch with B&W Companion fifth wheel hitch accessory unit is the answer to your problem.

B&W also makes the Companion fifth wheel unit to fit the newer Ford/GM/Dodge factory gooseneck hitches.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.
Does your Ram have a B&W Turnover ball? If so, they also have a fifth wheel hitch that works with their system.
If it doesn't, Look into the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection.
The subject of gooseneck adapters is a touchy subject on the forums. Some people swear that they use them and work good. Others report issue due to torquing created by a lever effect because not the truck is pulling the trailer at the end of a long rod instead of up high. You are sure to get a lot of comments.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized