cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth Wheel is Nose High- what issues am I facing

Davezogg
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2016 Ram 4x4 2500. We went from Illinois to Wisconsin (7 hours driving) to pick up our used 2008 5th wheel.

Well, the trailer is about 7 inches nose high and I was able to raise the pin all the way up and gained about and inc or a little more.

I have right at 6 1/2 inches between the bed rails and the bottom of the trailer.....so, good there.

So, even with the drop of the truck when hitched, its still going to be nose high...ugh

Never having had this issue before, I'm not sure what I am in for....and advice would be appreciated. I may flip the axles when I get home...400 miles away.

I was going to buy a 4x2 truck, but opted for a "great deal" that gave me the 4wd for free...ugh!

Please help!!
12 REPLIES 12

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
IdaD wrote:
Davezogg wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies.....

Having not had this problem ever before, do I need to anticipate any big problems getting the 5th wheel home with the nose that high??

You can get it home fine and then fix it.

X2. Just empty the trailer to run as light as possible, and watch curbs and driveways like a hawk, for excess tilt, until you get home. Once home, then address the major leveling issues at your leisure. Also, much better if you don't run the fridge if way out of level, as that =can= cause issues.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Davezogg
Explorer
Explorer
certainly hope so....thanks

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Davezogg wrote:

Having not had this problem ever before, do I need to anticipate any big problems getting the 5th wheel home with the nose that high??

You can get it home fine and then fix it.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We just had our RV raised in July for the very same reason. The only concern would be adding extra weight to the rear axel, the higher the front end is the more weight gets shifted to the rear axel.

Our fifth wheel has the MorRyde IS suspension so there was no flipping axels, it was having spacer bars or "risers" added to the frame.

We tow level now and we're happy campers! :B

Dan

Davezogg
Explorer
Explorer

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Davezogg wrote:
I bought a 2016 Ram 4x4 2500. We went from Illinois to Wisconsin (7 hours driving) to pick up our used 2008 5th wheel.

Well, the trailer is about 7 inches nose high and I was able to raise the pin all the way up and gained about and inc or a little more.

I have right at 6 1/2 inches between the bed rails and the bottom of the trailer.....so, good there.

So, even with the drop of the truck when hitched, its still going to be nose high...ugh

Never having had this issue before, I'm not sure what I am in for....and advice would be appreciated. I may flip the axles when I get home...400 miles away.

I was going to buy a 4x2 truck, but opted for a "great deal" that gave me the 4wd for free...ugh!

Please help!!

X-whatever on the axle flip before doing anything else. Also, make sure there are no extra holes in the spring and equalizer hangers to allow you to drop things.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Rambino
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
rjxj wrote:
Relax. There is nothing that cant be fixed when you throw fists full of money at it. ๐Ÿ™‚ You are probably looking at a flip but while doing it also consider 16 tires which also gives you a little lift. Pull it up onto some scrap 2x10 or 2x 12 lumber to see how much lift you need and what your rail clearance will be.

Well a more accurate method is to do the following;
#1. Find a level place to take measurements.

#2. Measure height to top of bed rail at the pin location. To this the desired rail to 5er clearance, call this Measurement1.

#3. Drop the 5er right at this spot, and level front to rear.

#4. Now measure from the ground to the bottom of the 5er at the pin location. Call this Measurement2.

#5 Time for Math, Measurement1 - Measurement2 = how much you need to raise the 5er at the axles.

Keep in mind that an axle flip will gain the diameter of the axle + the thickness of the spring pack, + the distance the spring perches are off the axle tube (both perches).

Good stuff right there!
2016 Attitude 28SAG
2012 Ram 3500 CTD
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
2007 Kawasaki KFX 700

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjxj wrote:
Relax. There is nothing that cant be fixed when you throw fists full of money at it. ๐Ÿ™‚ You are probably looking at a flip but while doing it also consider 16 tires which also gives you a little lift. Pull it up onto some scrap 2x10 or 2x 12 lumber to see how much lift you need and what your rail clearance will be.

Well a more accurate method is to do the following;
#1. Find a level place to take measurements.

#2. Measure height to top of bed rail at the pin location. To this the desired rail to 5er clearance, call this Measurement1.

#3. Drop the 5er right at this spot, and level front to rear.

#4. Now measure from the ground to the bottom of the 5er at the pin location. Call this Measurement2.

#5 Time for Math, Measurement1 - Measurement2 = how much you need to raise the 5er at the axles.

Keep in mind that an axle flip will gain the diameter of the axle + the thickness of the spring pack, + the distance the spring perches are off the axle tube (both perches).
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Spring over axle conversion (commonly called an axle flip), should give you close to the 6-1/2 inches additional height you need.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Flip it. Dexter axle perches are about $45 a pair from etrailer. I did mine myself but you could have a shop do it if you're not comfortable doing it. I got close to 6" of lift.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Rambino
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar problem with our Attitude TH. Ended up flipping the axles. Now sits level.

Seems you have done all the right things to get it better. Doing the axle flip should bring you real close to your goal.
2016 Attitude 28SAG
2012 Ram 3500 CTD
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
2007 Kawasaki KFX 700