cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel lock to the truck

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
Was pondering what to do to keep my actual 5th wheel hitch/head assembly secure in my truck. Though about running a chain from my bed rails to the head assembly, and using padlocks on both ends. Anybody else have any ideas?
Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
What about using one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-1469DAT-Heavy-Receiver/dp/B001AVSIOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402332022&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+pin+locks

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
We have a locking pin from our old Curt hitch on our air hitch. Someone would have to steal the truck to get it though, unless they are driving around with an engine hoist!

Sucker weighs 300 + pounds, but like someone else said... Out of sight, locked under our roll bak cover.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
Why not get a lockable bed cover ? Out of sight - out of mind. And that way you can put other things in the bed when not towing and have them securely covered too. Not to mention keeping groceries, etc out of the rain and snow.

Tim

This was my thought. We are looking at 5ers hitches and just planned on keeping it hidden under the tonneau cover (we have a locking tailgate).
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
RedRam wrote:
I didn't know thiefs would stoop that low for a lousy 30 bucks because they're just too lazy.

X2
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

RedRam
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know thiefs would stoop that low for a lousy 30 bucks because they're just too lazy.
2016 Laramie Longhorn Aisin Trans
2016 Bighorn 3970RD

ontariofarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Like one of the other replies before mine......I just drilled out the holes where the original pins went and used locks instead.
2003 Ford F250 King Ranch CC SB 6.8L V10
2003 Jayco Quest 253D 5er

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
Locally there is a lot of drug related theft, and they will steal about anything then sell it for scrap. A hitch would bring several quick dollars from a scrapper. Yes, maybe $30 bucks for a $1000 hitch.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Why not get a lockable bed cover ? Out of sight - out of mind. And that way you can put other things in the bed when not towing and have them securely covered too. Not to mention keeping groceries, etc out of the rain and snow.

Tim

Rob_Mitch
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I did have a receiver hitch stolen in Houston. Yes thieves will steal stuff you would not expect. Also when they are stealing weight is not as much of an issue as you might think.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
For me it's not so much about the head being stolen off my B&W it's if someone wants to be a jerk and pull the two pins holding the head and also pulling the pin on the kingpin lock.

I really don't want to pull away and have the RV drop on the TV or hit a big dip and have the B&W separate.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
You guys must have very strong ambitious thieves in your area. Stealing a hitch takes way too much effort for the return.
It would be much easier to steal the entire truck.
Have you considered locking your engine to the frame?
If someone has the stupid ambition to steal a fifth wheel hitch a padlock or chain isn't gonna make a difference.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
last summer I saw a couple B&W hitch heads (head only) on criagslist. can't imagine where they would get just the head from. unless....
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think that anybody that stole one would be selling it for scrap. I can see it now, LEO stops pedestrian carrying one and asks him what he's doing.
Puma 30RKSS

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I don't always pull my hitch out, and just have some worries. I like the bicycle lock idea.
Thanks for the inputs.