Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel or Toter or Class A (Diesel)

JOS66
Explorer
Explorer
Good Day Everyone

We are preparing to buy either a 5th Wheel, Class A or Toter. We are trying to decide which one to go with. Now I know this horse has been ridden to death, but I need some different points of view from people with experience. Feedback from RV owners that have owned both 5th Wheel and Class A and/or Toter would really be great as well.

To clear the air and simplify things, I have vast experience towing and handling both types of Setups. So dealing with all aspects of diesels (have owned many) and trailers (same thing but not 5th Wheels) are not an issue.

What I really need help and testimonies for is your experience with either or both. The Pros and Cons and What would you do different.

Before my wife and I spend such a large amount of money, I want to hear from the RV Community that is dealing with and living in these things everyday.

Here are our details:

1. 3 people (2 adults / 1 (16) year old) and 1-2 Pups traveling
2. Will do mostly 1-4 week trips. But may do 2-4 month trips.
3. Prefer Heavy Duty with all trailers and vehicles
4. I have experience with RVing
5. Thinking about taking a Golf Cart or ATV or 2 Dirt Bikes (not on top of list)
6. Traveling Nation wide and into Canada

Please also tell us your preferred 5th Wheel or Motor Home (Class A or Toter) and the reason why it is your preferred.

Thanks so much in advance. I pray that everyone has a Blessed 2018!!!!
15 REPLIES 15

JOS66
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Everyone for the feedback and insight!!

My wife and I have decided to go with a used 40-45ft DP. I have a few questions.

1. Which brand of DP is the best manufactured and most reliable to buy used?

2. If we chose to use a Trailer to carry car, bikes and golf cart, where does the RV Parks allow their customers to park the trailers if the lot is to small to store there?

And Yes, a Toter (Super C) is used heavily in the racing community. Right before I stopped racing Toters were just getting popular. If I can find a used Toter with the amenities and interior quality I need, I would buy instead of a DP.

Thank You to All!!! Blessings to Each of You!!!

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
When you say "toter" are you referring to a truck and trailer combo similar to a racer rig?
A medium or heavy duty truck (toter) with living quarters pulling a trailer with toys?
Look at Elliot's custom trailers In Warsaw, Indiana.
Elliottscustomtrailers.com
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the Monaco Winsdor motorhome, the Jeep and the Ranger bass boat I bet that picture is at least 10 years old. At least the stuff is that old, probably older. I wonder how much all that would cost today.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
DutchmenSport wrote:

That is one magnificent set up there! Wow! I can't imagine how much $$$ is invested into that arrangement!

I bet for the price of a shop custom building that trailer, you could pay for the toy hauler.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
donn0128 wrote:
Like TTs fifth wheels top the list if your going to park for a few days or more at a time. Motor homes are better suited if your moving every day or two. Motor homes dictate a toad to get around. Meaning two drive trains to maintain. Motor homes are probably the most expensive RV to purchase and maintain. Motor homes still need maintenance even when parked. Fifth wheels unless its a toy hauler dont offer anyplace for toys. Fifth wheels need a lot more truck to tow them.

Assuming you have a MH with a toad, it's a myth that there is any significant advantage if you move frequently.

Since the OP is asking about hauling toys, it pushes him to toy haulers right off the bat.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Is that a "toter"?
ToddD wrote:

But, why not just skip to a full size trailer and do this:

2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned 2 motorhomes, one gas for 2 years, one a 40' dp for 7 years, 5 fifth wheels and 2 pop-ups since the early 70's. Wallet wise, fifth wheels don't empty it quite as quickly. A whole lot less moving parts. Most folks say a motorhome for traveling and a fifth wheel for staying. For us not so. We frequently take trips that require moving every few days and it is just not a big deal if you have auto leveling and a quality hitch. Yes, you can't get the wife to get you a sandwich but you can pack one in a cooler in the back seat. The driver can't go the bathroom without stopping in either but you do have to go outside with a fifth wheel which may be a big deal to some but not us. I would vote for a toy hauler.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ToddD wrote:
Pipeman wrote:

That is one magnificent set up there! Wow! I can't imagine how much $$$ is invested into that arrangement!

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
I have seen a Class A with an hydraulic lift on the back for a motorcycle. The towed was a pickup with a quad in the back. The clas A was a DP. For exampleLook here

Whoa, I like that, never thought of a combo like that.

Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you should be looking at a Toy hauler. I don't know if it is just me, but I seem to see more and more of these on the road today.
The reason could be that they are making the garages more of a duel purpose room, to the point that they hardly look like garages. They are more of a secondary living area with even the door reverting to a sun deck.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen a Class A with an hydraulic lift on the back for a motorcycle. The towed was a pickup with a quad in the back. The clas A was a DP. For exampleLook here
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
toy hauler all the way ,you have lots of space for the bikes,lots of sleeping arrangements

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look at fifth wheel toy hauler options for your purposes.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like TTs fifth wheels top the list if your going to park for a few days or more at a time. Motor homes are better suited if your moving every day or two. Motor homes dictate a toad to get around. Meaning two drive trains to maintain. Motor homes are probably the most expensive RV to purchase and maintain. Motor homes still need maintenance even when parked. Fifth wheels unless its a toy hauler dont offer anyplace for toys. Fifth wheels need a lot more truck to tow them.