cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Storage

skidooman93
Explorer
Explorer
I'm stuck Storing my 5th Wheel out doors this winter and the forseable winters. It will be parked in a farmers yard but pretty exposed to wind. I live in south central MN so the winters here can be pretty harsh. I know it is not the ideal storage situation but it is what I have available. Looking for advise on covering or not to cover, covering wheels (aluminum wheels on 5th wheel). I would like advice from those that have experience in northern climates like we have here. It seems that I always get opinions from members that have no experience with the situation I am referring to. So if you don't have experience storing a 5th wheel outside in a northern climate please keep your opinions to yourself.
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.7 Cummins, 68RFE Rear Air Suspension
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.4 Hemi 4.10's Rear Coil Springs (Sold)
Anderson UCH
2014 Open Range 367BHS
1 wife, 1 Son, 1 Daughter, 1 Red Lab that wont come in the camper because hes a big baby, so he stays home.
20 REPLIES 20

skidooman93
Explorer
Explorer
There are places that have room to store it but the 14' high door needed for it is the trouble. I haven't found place with a 14' high door that is a reasonable price. I refuse to pay $100/mo
Anderson UCH
2014 Open Range 367BHS
1 wife, 1 Son, 1 Daughter, 1 Red Lab that wont come in the camper because hes a big baby, so he stays home.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My FW sits out in the wind and elements, and has since new. I used a cover on previous FW, but what a hassle! Hard to put on, but even harder to secure in the wind. I had all kinds of extra stretch cords, over the top, using pipe insulation to protect roof edge etc. It was a nice Adco cover, held up well, but when the wind blew hard, it always needed adjustment. No more covers for me.

I do cover tires/wheels, and use an AC cover in Winter also. I think the Summer sun is much harder on our RVs, than the brutal Winters.

Jerry

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Place boards under the tires as well (2x10x5' or 6') to get tires off the ground. Too bad you can't find an enclosed barn someplace.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

skidooman93
Explorer
Explorer
I will have it backed into the most common wind direction so that should help. Large snowfall amounts should eventually blow off of it. When I bought it the dealer sold covers and recommended one, another dealer I checked into for storage options recommended covering it. But the manufacturers usually say don't unless you do it just right. I do like the idea of just covering the AC units.
Anderson UCH
2014 Open Range 367BHS

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in Colorado- plenty of wind so I have been afraid of a cover on my trailer. Covers can damage the skin and the drain spouts. Seems wind never stops. I do cover my tires all the time. I believe you should be ok.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I purchased my 5er the dealer said NO cover. I have heard both stories. Personally, I would not cover anything but the A/C units with custom A/C covers. Covers can rub against the roof and cause wear, also undesirables can get in between. If you have a good roof and seals there should be no issues. I would also face the unit if you can, facing the wind so it is not hit broadside. Keeps less profile to the elements.