cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toy Hauler or Truck bed rack?

dkuntz
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have an F150 Ecoboost, 3.53 axles, 1,300lb payload, 9,900 towing.

I was looking at the Stealth AK1612 toy hauler, but I'll be completely max'd out on the payload and towing capacity and I'm nervous that dealing with the Colorado mountains would be too much for the truck. Does anyone have any experience with this trailer and a 1/2 ton truck pulling it?

I'm looking at switching out my F150 for a 3/4ton Duramax and putting two ATV utilities on the truck bed with something similar to the Diamondback ATV rack. Does anyone have experience with this system or something similar to it? How well does it handle? How easy is it to load/unload them?
2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax, short bed
2020 Keystone Cougar Fifth Wheel 29MBS
Diamondback cover - Sided loaded
2017 Polaris Sportsman 450
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 X2
10 REPLIES 10

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Remembered one additional item to your potential dilemma. Are you primarily a hunter or do you trail ride your ATVs as well? If you trail ride and go to places like Moab, be prepared to have to move two ATVs to staging areas that will not accomodate a Toy Hauler/large trailer. Poison Spider comes to mind as you must transport ATVs to it and the staging area will not fit a large trailer. That means having a way to transport 2 ATVs. If you only have the TH, how would you transport 2 ATVs to smaller staging area trailheads that you can't drive the ATV to? If you decide to go with a TH bumper pull, get the DiamondBack as well.
I love me some land yachting

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to address your additional questions about the DiamondBack.

Loading and unloading is not difficult, although it might be a bit concerning the first couple of times. The bikes are up there, but it really isn't that bad. The 12' folding ramps are very secure and are "locked" in to the frame rails so they do not come off and no need to strap them down. The ramps have extra high sides to help keep the tires tracked. I'm not certain the ramps would keep large, deep lugged tires tracked but you would feel the tire start to lift if it were climbing the side ramp wall. I've never had that happen as I'm very careful about properly lining up the ramp and staying straight while driving on/off.

I went with the ramp rails on the sides and back for options to load a single from the back, or two from the side. It's a good system.

Once loaded, my truck does not feel top heavy at all almost like the center of gravity did not move. Truck is a 1-ton SRW Diesel CC LB and feels equally stable when towing my TT and Grizzly loaded on the tonneau.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
I have a DiamondBack tonneau cover on my modern 1-ton SRW diesel. I love it and therefor am not limited to TT type or really the size, yes there are some but I wouldn't go that heavy anyway. My TT is not a TH but does have a GVWR of 9500 lbs. I needed the extra 1-ton payload versus the payload on a 3/4-ton.

Get the 1-ton diesel long box for the added payload and engine braking. Having the DiamondBack is great as it still allows a fair amount of storage under the cover which is still out of the rain and locked/secured. The DiamondBack does have a weight limit of 1600 lbs so be aware of that with two utility ATVs. I have a Grizzly 700 and would not load two of those on it as it would possibly exceed the tonneau max weight with 2 Grizzly 700s and a rider loading/off loading. Would it be an issue? Probably not but why take the chance? I could probably get away with 2 loaded using a winch to load/off-load and making sure all heavy extra items are removed from the ATV storage box.

If you do go the route of a toy hauler, make sure and get one that separates the garage from living quarters. Common scenario would be traveling more than a day to get to your destination, camping for one night without really setting up camp. With no separate garage/living space, you will want to off load both ATVs so you can sleep without the gas/oil smell keeping you up.

With those ATVs loaded on a DiamondBack, that is not a concern. They are also pretty safe loaded on the tonneau as most people are not going to touch them when they are mounted up there.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
the rack plus ATV's will be VERY heavy, then add tongue weight?
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
He's got 460 pounds less payload than you, souraider. Heck my 2015 Tahoe has 1,595.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
I towed the WA2313 with a max tow ecoboost, and it was not a problem. I was at, or slightly over on my cargo capacity. I had 1760 cargo capacity. Took it to the Canadian Rockies and towed without issue. Having said that I am now towing the same trailer with a 2017 F350 6.7, which is amazing:)
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Which eco-boost? The 3.5 will have plenty of pulling power and the turbo will handle altitude much better than a naturally aspirated V8. It won't give you the engine braking of a diesel but that's probably overkill.

Assuming 12% tongue weight (1188lb), you better be a 98lb weakling or you are over weight before putting anything in the truck. 1300lb payload is way low for pulling that big of a trailer.

Also, the 3.53 rear end is not a towing rear end. The transmission can compensate to a degree but not really the best option.

You are looking at at least a 3/4ton but if you are going to buy a bigger truck, seriously think about jumping to a 1ton SRW. Hardly any difference in cost and you get a bit more payload.

If you want to put the ATV's in the truck bed, you have to run the same calculations but in addition to the tongue weight, you have to include the weight of the ATV's (and other cargo) in the truck bed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you mean AK2612? Is it either or? I mean is it a Toy Hauler VS a Diamondback ATV Rack? Will you be pulling a trailer if you have the Diamondback ATV rack? Do you need a Toy Hauler plus the ATV rack?

I can't give you any advise on the F150 I think you would know best on what your truck can do. Having said that, if you do upgrade I would consider going with a one ton vs 3/4 ton Especially if your planning on carrying two ATV's on the truck and pulling a Toy Hauler at the same time..

I have had several Toy Haulers. I did have a Rack Lift system made by Rampage to drag my Harley in the back of the truck for a while in between Toy Haulers and I hated having my bike out in the weather. the system worked OK but it's much easier to load the bike in the back of a Toy Hauler vs loading in the back of a truck.

If you decide to go Toy Hauler I would consider a enclosed garage model. It's nice to keep the bike, mud, dirt and sand in the garage away from the living space. The garage does make a great extended living space (man cave)when the bikes are out...
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

asullivan920
Explorer
Explorer
I had a F-150 with the 4.6L V8 and traded it in for a Ram 2500 diesel after my first time out with my rubicon 1905 toy hauler. Dealing with the mountains you will want the extra truck. I have not had any of those decks but have looked at them for snowmobiles. After doing the math I would be over weight and upgraded again to a Ram 3500 as I plan to get a sled deck next year. My new 3500 rides just as good or better than my 2012 2500 did if your worried about that.
2017 Ram 3500 Laramie crew cab shortbed 6.7 Cummins
2013 Rubicon 1905 toy hauler

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
1,100 pounds hitch weight leaves you two hundred pounds. Add a hitch and you...yes, it's too much for that truck.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad