cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C and generator

spindrift
Explorer
Explorer
How many folks, when leaving home, will start their genny to run the A/C in order to have a cooled down camper upon arrival at the campground?
'12 F350 KR CC DRW, with some stuff.
Redwood 36FL
20 REPLIES 20

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Realistically, answering from a motorhome perspective is not necessarily value added to the question.

At least from my experience it's common to operate the onboard generator or inverter on a motorhome during travel just to allow the ACs to keep the rest of the occupants cool, whereas you tend to think twice about letting a separately fueled generator run in an unoccupied towable for very long.

It's kind of like asking asking 5th wheel guys if you let your wife take a nap in the back while traveling, and having motorhome owners say "sure - no problem"
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
spindrift wrote:
Swamp Man wrote:
RoyB wrote:
SPINDRIFT wrote:
What are you MH folks doin' in a fifth wheel thread?! LOL

I think you will find most of us run down all of the forums that we have some expertise in. Most problems everyone talks about are very general anyway...

Each morning with my first big cup of fresh ground bean coffee I start out on the JAYCO Forum and go down the list and then on the second cup I start down the RV NET lists.

I learn from all of these lists reading and commenting on the problems submitted... In my case my main love is my OFF-ROAD POPUP and if you go scan this forum here you only see maybe one new post every three days or so...

Then being in the retired mode I end up leaving the RV NET on most of the day on the computer and I am sitting in the "NEWEST" section which shows all of the new posts as they come in.

just saying...
Roy ken

Feel welcome. Everyone has experience, and it should be shared for the entire community.

Just to be clear...I hope you realize that this particular post was in jest, right?

Did not read it close enough. So sorry!
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

htowners
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Do you grease or use a teflon plate? ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

Sounds a little too personal to me.:B
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay 38TGB
2005 Saturn Vue
Stella and Luna, our 2 shelter rescues

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TakingThe5th wrote:
spindrift wrote:
Swamp Man wrote:
RoyB wrote:
SPINDRIFT wrote:

I think you will find most of us run down all of the forums that we have some expertise in. Most problems everyone talks about are very general anyway...

Each morning with my first big cup of fresh ground bean coffee I start out on the JAYCO Forum and go down the list and then on the second cup I start down the RV NET lists.

I learn from all of these lists reading and commenting on the problems submitted... In my case my main love is my OFF-ROAD POPUP and if you go scan this forum here you only see maybe one new post every three days or so...

Then being in the retired mode I end up leaving the RV NET on most of the day on the computer and I am sitting in the "NEWEST" section which shows all of the new posts as they come in.

just saying...
Roy ken

Feel welcome. Everyone has experience, and it should be shared for the entire community.

Just to be clear...I hope you realize that this particular post was in jest, right?

Frankly I don't think it's possible to tow a 5th wheel with a MH. I can tow my 5er with my Hyundai because it has a sunroof-I just close the sunroof until the window gently touches the pin to take out the slack-but the sunroof on a MH would be entirely too high. ๐Ÿ™‚

Do you grease or use a teflon plate? ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

htowners
Explorer
Explorer
TakingThe5th wrote:

Frankly I don't think it's possible to tow a 5th wheel with a MH. I can tow my 5er with my Hyundai because it has a sunroof-I just close the sunroof until the window gently touches the pin to take out the slack-but the sunroof on a MH would be entirely too high. ๐Ÿ™‚

You hitch the Hyundai to the back of the MH and hitch the 5/er up.
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bay 38TGB
2005 Saturn Vue
Stella and Luna, our 2 shelter rescues

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
SPINDRIFT wrote:

just saying...
Roy ken

RB . . . . . thanks for you attention and help. You have helped me on some of my problems.

ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
When temperatures dictate, we start our genny and run our AC about an hour or so prior to arrival. In our case, it takes about 10 minutes to set-up, not nearly enough time to cool our 32' rig that was just towed several hours through 90+ degree heat at 70mph.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
spindrift wrote:
Swamp Man wrote:
RoyB wrote:
SPINDRIFT wrote:

just saying...
Roy ken

TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

spindrift
Explorer
Explorer
Swamp Man wrote:
RoyB wrote:
SPINDRIFT wrote:

just saying...
Roy ken

'12 F350 KR CC DRW, with some stuff.
Redwood 36FL

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
If needed I fire em up about an hour before we arrive at the campground. Keeps the DW happy!
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
SPINDRIFT wrote:

just saying...
Roy ken

Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 5er has a built in Onan but I have never started it to cool down before I get there. If I pull off for lunch I will fire it up and by the time I take the Collies for a walk it's not to bad inside.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
SPINDRIFT wrote:

just saying...
Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I start the ginny on the rear of our 5er whenever it is real hot to keep the trailer comfortable for DW when we arrive. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"