cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC height on top of 5th wheel

Our_Place
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to add a second AC unit on the front of my new Cougar. I was looking into the Penguin low profile unit but the cost is really high for only saving 3.7 inches of height. My roof at the vent over the bedroom is 12 foot 1/2 inch high so the Penguin would put me at 12'9.5" and the Brisk unit would be 13'1.25" high. The Brisk unit also weighs 30lbs. less than the Penguin unit. Thoughts??
2008 Silverado 3500HD crew cab 4x4 SRW Duramax Allison 6 speed
2014 Cougar 327 RES "Campy"
8 REPLIES 8

Our_Place
Explorer
Explorer
Well after tossing it around for several days and measuring and moving everything around I finally ordered the AC unit! I decided to bite the bullet and buy the low profile Penguin, it was right at $300 more but peace of mind on every inch of height clearance is worth it. With my hitch in the truck lowered and the camper now level I can manage to get an overall height of 12'10.5" hooked to the truck. That gives me a little more flexibility in weight loading changing the ride height a little.

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
We are 13'5" high. Set the RV GPS for that height and no problems. I have always looked at the bridge height as I approach.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

Our_Place
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
If you are going from just over 12' high to over 13' you will have to pay attention more closely from now on while towing.

We are exactly 13'5" to our front air (highest point when hooked up) and it has never been a problem. Of course we generally have to stick to "designated" truck routes or if we are getting off those we have to check our Trucker's Atlas to ensure no issues with low clearances.

If you are comfortable that both of these airs will perform the same, I would go with the taller/cheaper one.

I have concerns about the height but I will be under the 13'6" by several inches and my GPS is set to limit my travels with low clearance roads. I would like to have the lower AC unit for the added clearance but the weight is also an issue, the low profile unit is 32lbs. heavier. I have been making changes to gain more clearance like lowering my hitch in the truck. I have plenty of room between the bed rails and the camper so I was able to drop the hitch a couple of inches.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going from just over 12' high to over 13' you will have to pay attention more closely from now on while towing.

We are exactly 13'5" to our front air (highest point when hooked up) and it has never been a problem. Of course we generally have to stick to "designated" truck routes or if we are getting off those we have to check our Trucker's Atlas to ensure no issues with low clearances.

If you are comfortable that both of these airs will perform the same, I would go with the taller/cheaper one.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Most states have a 13' - 14' height limit so you should be OK.

Look Here!

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Place wrote:
I'm looking to add a second AC unit on the front of my new Cougar. I was looking into the Penguin low profile unit but the cost is really high for only saving 3.7 inches of height. My roof at the vent over the bedroom is 12 foot 1/2 inch high so the Penguin would put me at 12'9.5" and the Brisk unit would be 13'1.25" high. The Brisk unit also weighs 30lbs. less than the Penguin unit. Thoughts??

You really need to identify what is the highest point on the trailer vs. the 2nd A/C mounting location. Usually they are not the same height and therefore the net gain in trailer height will be less than the height of the 2nd A/C. Mine increased by only 4 inches even though the 2nd A/C was almost 10 inches tall.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
I got the Brisk Air2, for the reasons you noted. I already had a vent cover there, and the new AC is only an inch and a half more.

Mark
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on how high you are comfortable with..........

WE are 13'4" at top of A/C Unit on or 5vr.

Have had a few close calls.......mainly tree branches on side streets and in cgs.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31