cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC problem

surveyor_roadie
Explorer
Explorer
My AC was working fine,I turned it off for about 30 mins and now the compressor won't come on.I had a RV repair guy out and he went on the roof and said it was making a clicking sound that he has never heard before,He wants to replace it( Duo-Therm) with a Coleman for 1300.00 Does that sound like a fair price? We can't put it in the shop,it will have to be done onsite.
23 REPLIES 23

swampsquatch
Explorer
Explorer
I still think it was your t-stat but now you have no worries about your ac. Happy camping!

2007 Forest River Wildcat 28RK.
2008 Chevy 2500 gas guzzler.

surveyor_roadie
Explorer
Explorer
Yes,the old one and the new one both have the slide bar.

swampsquatch
Explorer
Explorer
Did your old t-stat have the slid bar for temp adjustment?

when I changed my old t-stat to new digital t-stat it went from 5 wires to 3 wires.One was for cool, one for furnace, one for fan. If he didn't wire it right the compressor wouldn't have come on. I'm just wondering now for my own knowledge and to help someone else if they have this problem.

surveyor_roadie
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You,CarlT,! Such nice people on here!

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you have cool air.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

surveyor_roadie
Explorer
Explorer
RV repair guy installed new ac and it did exactly the same thing,fan came on no compressor.When I questioned him he said the compressor on the old unit was coming on.My husband thought he heard it too. Anyway,it took him two days to fix and he said the wiring in the old Dometic was not strong enough for the new Coleman even though they were both 15,000.btu. He strung new wiring from the new thermostat behind the wall into the breaker box and made a new breaker.It is working great so far.Not sure if I got ripped off or not but at least it's cool in here now and we are happy!

swampsquatch
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have old style t-stat (non digatal)? That was my problem. Switched to the new digatal t-stat which came with new box for your ac. It was pretty much plug and play.

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
If it is seven years old, I agree with your decision.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

surveyor_roadie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for trying to help but we decided to go ahead and replace the unit. It's 7 years old and we are going to be here in TX for a couple of years .Husband is working here and it's in the high 90's.Too hot for trial and error. Mobile rv service is very limited and busy!

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
A further possibility:there may also be a start relay in the circuit which could be defective (bad coil or contacts).
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
It could also be a bad thermal safety on the compressor itself.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
Don't jump into a $1300 a/c unit. I think you may save some money if you check the above suggestions first!

X2. I agree with the respondents who said it may be the start capacitor for the compressor. My Dometic A/C uniti is having a similar problem right now; fan comes on but no compressor.
Here's another possibility: possibly a problem in the temp controller (ie, thermostat).
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Don't jump into a $1300 a/c unit. I think you may save some money if you check the above suggestions first!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This may help. Look on around page 27-28Manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker