cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accident...

rambotheshark
Explorer
Explorer
I have not posted in a long time. Had no real reason too, but Monday on my trip out to watch a long weekend of car racing I had the dreaded accident.

I was cruising down a two lane road headed to the racetrack in Sebring, Florida and an elderly woman, age 85, pulled out from a side street right in front of me. I was able to slow down a little, not much though and got her rear quarter panel. Probably totaled her car as it look like he axle snapped.

She said she "did not see me".

Lucky I got her there and not the passenger side door or else she would have been injured. All her air bags went off in the Hyundai and she walked away. Shook up, but no injuries.

My truck took some damage, but the airbag did not deploy. Nothing important seemed loose under the front end and nothing was leaking so I made it the last four miles (yes, I was that close) I had left to go to my destination and had some fun. I also made it back home today.

Now the insurance fun begins...

44 REPLIES 44

rambotheshark
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Campinfan wrote:
I could see how she did not see that little truck of yours and that mini trailer on the back. Glad no one was hurt.

Just a point of curiosity, did you have your headlights on???

Also glad all walked away OK.

Did you check your hitch for damage?

Headlights were not on.

Yes, I checked for hitch damage. It looks minor. There is some though. One of the rails that bolts to the truck is bent a bit although still solidly bolted down. I am not sure if it is an indication of a major issue like any potential frame damage to the truck, but it is definitely something that will need to be checked out. Also the bolts in the kingpin look to have shifted a few millimeters. This stuff is all on my list of things to get inspected and fixed if need be. I fully understand that small hairline fracture or the like that the untrained eye misses can become a huge dangerous problem later on with just regular travel stress.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rambotheshark wrote:
..I tried my best to slow down as much as I could without making the situation worse for everyone. Locking the brakes up, potentially jackknifing, and going headfirst into oncoming traffic in the next lane seemed like much, much, much worse alternative.
You did right. Panic reactions can and do make situations much worse - like swerving into oncoming traffic trying to avoid hitting an animal.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rambotheshark
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
rambotheshark wrote:

I figured to keep from jackknifing or worse I could only do a real slow deceleration, even if only a few miles per hour before impact and just plow through it. Try to keep everything going straight and come to a controlled stop. Really not much you else can do.

You posted on a public forum that you didn't really try to stop.
What were you thinking?
Her lawyer could take you to the cleaners.

There was not a snowballs chance in hell I could have stopped my truck and fiver in less than three seconds or so. She literally pulled out right in front me. It would have been flat out impossible so I tried my best to slow down as much as I could without making the situation worse for everyone. Locking the brakes up, potentially jackknifing, and going headfirst into oncoming traffic in the next lane seemed like much, much, much worse alternative.

And she is lucky I was able to slow down even just a little as that allowed me to hit her rear passenger quarter panel area and not the dead center of the car.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
rambotheshark wrote:

I figured to keep from jackknifing or worse I could only do a real slow deceleration, even if only a few miles per hour before impact and just plow through it. Try to keep everything going straight and come to a controlled stop. Really not much you else can do.

You posted on a public forum that you didn't really try to stop.
What were you thinking?
Her lawyer could take you to the cleaners.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
I would get those airbags checked when you're getting the front end work done. Seems mighty odd that they didn't go off upon impact (20mph is the low threshold iirc) They could be Takata like mentioned above!

X2! I would make it a point to have the air bags checked! As I understand one of the complaints on the suspect air bags is they don't deploy at the crash, then for no apparent reason they will go off later! If your TV is equipped with those bags, get them replaced! On the flip side, no one injured, and you still have the TV and Rig!

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with some of the other posts, that's not much damage to the truck. I wouldn't want my airbags to go off on a collision like that. I would be happy if my radiator, oil cooler, etc.. weren't punctured.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
all that damage happened to the front end and no air bag??
that should be reported to some agency.
bumpy

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Good everyone walked away.... Looks like a new front bumper and your good to go.

x2. And you're right in that it does happen when you least expect it. I was t-boned by a lady that run a red light 4 years ago in my new work F-150 that I had for exactly 9 days at the time.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campinfan wrote:
I could see how she did not see that little truck of yours and that mini trailer on the back. Glad no one was hurt.

Just a point of curiosity, did you have your headlights on???

Also glad all walked away OK.

Did you check your hitch for damage?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Oh wow, so glad that it wasn't as bad as it could've been! It is definitely a hassle you didn't want to contend with, but your truck is probably ok engine wise, the 5th is ok, and everyone walked away.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rrev
Explorer
Explorer
1. Airbags normally don't deploy on a collision like that.
2. The bumpers on those, and all trucks, are designed to do exactly what it did; crumple. It reduces the chance of an injury in an accident.
3. The other car got that much damage for the same reason; designed to crumple.
4. I've been to school for auto body and been doing it for over 20 years.

On a little different note, glad everyone is ok.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2007 Starcraft Homestead 282DBS (Retired)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drive safely..but everyone says safe. Don't know why. Maybe adverbs aren't a strong suit.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Glad everyone is ok. Really like that bill board in the background of your picture. The one that says drive safe. 🙂
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
that looks like a truck from fords fleet line if so i did not think they came with airbags

All vehicles come with air bags! Even my son's over the road Volvo tractor/trailer has airbags!