cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a rear hitch...

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Grand Design 303rls towed by a 2015 F350 FX4 CCLB SRW. I am way under weight on all numbers and am wanting to add a rear hitch to the fiver to pull a utility trailer with my SXS on it. I will be under length and weight with double towing. I know the laws and regs since I am a LEO officer here.

My question is for those who have added the hitch. Experiences, problems, warning, successes, advice in terms of adding the hitch and towing concerns?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Joe
2014 Ford F250 6.7L Crewcab Beast
2014 Grand Design Reflections 303RLS
26 REPLIES 26

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Tin Pusher wrote:
Hey folks, haven't posted in a long time. I'll do an update soon 🙂

nguyenbio, find yourself a good trailer (NOT RV) or weld shop, have a decent hitch built, enjoy your toys.

Like this:

I tow a Seadoo, my rig is in my sig 🙂

Tin Pusher's advice is so right on and valuable you could take it to a bank.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
We have double-towed since 1993 when we put a hitch on our first FW and towed boats weighing anywhere from about 2,000 pounds on the trailer to 5,000 pounds on the trailer. Bought a new FW in 2012 and first thing I did was have a hitch fabricated for the rear of the FW so I could tow my Crestliner Super Hawk 1900. I would recommend you get a hitch put on that is fabricated and welded and not a bolt-on hitch. Might cost a bit more, but well worth the piece of mind. By the way, Jayco said that putting a hitch on my 2012 FW would void the warranty but due to the very professional job by the welder, there have been no frame problems. Just be careful and don't get into spots where you might have to back up, that would be a real bear of a problem, one we have been lucky enough to escape so far. If you get a fabricated, welded hitch, make sure the welder reinforces the frame from the rear toward the axle, ours reinforced the frame about six feet from the rear forward. Go for it, with the FW you have, there should be no frame problems with a hitch properly installed. I have some pictures of my installation, but have been unable to put them on this site. If you wish, send me a private message and I'll send them to you. However, we are leaving for three weeks tomorrow so, if you don't do it quickly, it will be a while.
John A. Lichty

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey folks, haven't posted in a long time. I'll do an update soon 🙂

nguyenbio, find yourself a good trailer (NOT RV) or weld shop, have a decent hitch built, enjoy your toys.

Like this:

I tow a Seadoo, my rig is in my sig 🙂
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize for using the acronym LEO. Yes I am a law enforcement officer and know the laws and regulations. My question is about your personal experiences with towing doubles.

The warranty on my trailer has expired and I'm seriously thinking about adding the hitch. I would love to get a toyhauler but if I can avoid it, that would be great.
Joe

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
If and I say if your trailer is still under warranty, it may be voided if you have a hitch installed on the rear of it. Check it out. I was told by Forest River that my warranty would be voided if I installed a hitch. They told me my frame was cambered and a hitch would affect it. Also ditto what majorgator said. Maybe because he said he's a LEO threw them off. :):)
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
Listening in because I have the same curiosity. Would like to haul a small golf cart and trailer.

I like how the OP informs us that he knows the regs, then the first 2 comments are suggesting that he get familiar with the regs. Gotta love this forum.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
nguyenbio wrote:
I have a Grand Design 303rls towed by a 2015 F350 FX4 CCLB SRW. I am way under weight on all numbers and am wanting to add a rear hitch to the fiver to pull a utility trailer with my SXS on it. I will be under length and weight with double towing. I know the laws and regs since I am a LEO officer here.

My question is for those who have added the hitch. Experiences, problems, warning, successes, advice in terms of adding the hitch and towing concerns?

Thank you in advance for sharing!

For towing, even a light trailer, you really need to have a sub-frame built for the hitch to support both the tongue as well as the pull.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I had a hitch custom fabricated on my 5er. Lighter trailers are fine but I am done towing my ski boat.

If you have much tongue weight it really degrades the ride in your tow vehicle.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My FW has a factory receiver hitch. It is only rated for 300#s hitch wt. It is a very solid hitch, using square tubing across to the frame. I am thinking the low rating, is due to not wanting any more weight hanging on the rear.

I have double towed with my last 2 FWs, with good results. It is a little more stress, that would get old, if you did it all the time.

Jerry

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
redacted
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Look at your maximum length restrictions. Some states are 65' nose to tail, some are higher or lower.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
Let me add that we will be traveling to only western states that allow double towing like California.
Joe