cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice for Bad Suspension

Reflectionwoes
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, new to the site, but long time G/S members. We are really in a bind and was hoping some of you may have encountered a similar problem. Just discovered after numerous trips to the shop, our suspension system is worn out on our 2014 Refection 5th wheel. Lippert is recommending a complete replacement of both axle suspensions. I have done a lot of reading and it appears this is a common problem as most suspension systems are too light for even the rated weights and we are not overloaded. We have been advised to install the "Timbren silent suspension" or the "More Ride". I am leaning to the Timbren as it eliminate the springs,but it is pricey.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed!
Thanks in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Reflectionwoes wrote:
Wow! Thanks to all of you! To fill in the blanks the rest of the story is after taking all the measurements and reviewing with Lippert and taking it to 2 frame shops, our suspension was installed wrong, which has caused the equflex, bushings to wear out. Rob and BO are right on, axles are fine, they are simply too light for the rig. In the reviews I found, Dexter is the best, but way out of budget. I am leaning toward the Timbren but thanks to all of you I am going to get a second opinion and price for the More Ride. Ric

Are you saying the Dexter axles are way more expensive than Lippert axles, I didn't think there was enough difference in cost to say one was way out of budget. If budget is an issue then I would look at, as others have mentioned, installing the Dexter ez flex system with wet bolt and shackles, about $400 for the kit. Axles for 2 7000lb axles with brakes about 900-1000 for the pair. About $1500 in parts and you'd have all new axles and suspension.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dexter-Axle-E-Z-Flex-8-000-lb-Tandem-Equalizer-Suspension-Kit-7-3-4-K71-653
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Reflectionwoes
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Thanks to all of you! To fill in the blanks the rest of the story is after taking all the measurements and reviewing with Lippert and taking it to 2 frame shops, our suspension was installed wrong, which has caused the equflex, bushings to wear out. Rob and BO are right on, axles are fine, they are simply too light for the rig. In the reviews I found, Dexter is the best, but way out of budget. I am leaning toward the Timbren but thanks to all of you I am going to get a second opinion and price for the More Ride. Ric

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would replace it with the Dexter EZ Flex suspension upgrade. Many of us have done it and it makes a great difference with not much capitol outlay.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll echo what several have said, here. 1) Axles do not "wear out." Shackles and bolts do and springs can break. Those parts are all replaceable and the heavy-duty kits from MOR/ryde are high quality. 2) When we had alignment issues with our 2016 Reflection (bent spindle), we took it to MOR/ryde and had the whole OEM suspension system cut out from under it. They replaced the solid axles and springs with the MOR/ryde independent suspension. No "axles," rubber shear springs and shocks on each wheel. The upgrade included hydraulic disk brakes. The coach now tracks straight and floats down the road in a much less harsh manner (my wife follows in a car on travel days and can tell the difference). As stated, the MOR/ryde IS is pricey, but will prolong the life of the RV.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I had new springs,shackles,shocks put on my '05 Montana after about 30,000 miles. All worn out. Current Reflection has heavier shackles on it. We shall see how it holds up.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the springs, shackles, bolts, & Equa Flex units on my 2013 Columbus. I got the parts from Lippert. The nylon bushings were worn, the bolts were worn, the original Equa Flex was too,small. The left side of the trailer was about 2โ€ lower than the right. So yeah, I can believe your suspension is shot.
If you plan on keeping your fiver and doing a lot of traveling, go with the Timbren independent suspension.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like someone is looking for a fast buck. Axles do NOT wear out. If anything is worn out it might be just the bushings on the pivot point for the suspension. Get you rig out of there FAST and bring it somewhere else. The Reflection line has a good reputation as a well made rig. I am sure there is nothing major wrong with it. Let us know what someone else finds.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
We put a Mor-Ryde independent suspension under our '05 Newmar last summer, price but well worth it. The smoother ride on the fiver is noticeable.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like, sayoung, Iโ€™m not sold that a complete replacement is necessary. You are the first post I remember saying this, and a 2014 5er to boot.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
What exactly is wore beyond repair ? Bushings, shackles, springs ? If bushings /shackles put the Moryde wet bolt/shackle kit on. If spring broke find a local chassis shop & get leaf replaced.