cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

aftermarket wheels and new tires on my truck question

jstar
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 03 F250 club cab Lariat with long bed and the infamous 7.3L diesel with 85k original miles on it. I just purchased a 2017 Dutchmen Denali that weighs about 10k dry. My truck has the original 16 inch wheels and older dry rotted tires. I purchased some Mayhem aftermarket wheels in 18 inch as the 16 just seem too dang small. The tires I have now are 265 75 16 and I want to go with 305 65 18 tires which will be exactly the same size sidewall but a little wider by an inch and since the wheels are 2 inches taller so will the whole wheel/tire setup giveing my truck a 1 inch lift. My question is I know I need an E rated tire for the heavy towing I will be doing but what experience do any of you have running an all terrain tire. Will they overheat etc? Should I not get an all terrain tire? I would love some experienced input. Thanks for any help.
jstar
10 REPLIES 10

jstar
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
jstar wrote:
I have an 03 F250 club cab Lariat with long bed and the infamous 7.3L diesel with 85k original miles on it. Snip...

Why do you say "infamous"? That engine is probably the best one Ford ever made! I had one in a '02 F250 that took us over 350,000 miles with no problems whatsoever and was still running great when I traded it in two years ago.
I even had it running with a tuner for increased HP and torque for half of its' life. I would call it the "famous" 7.3L diesel! 🙂
Barney

I guess I miss used the term. I didn't mean it in a bad way. I really meant Well loved and surely missed. It's so simple and reliable its crazy for sure. I bought it just for this reason.
jstar

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
Actually based on the sizes you state you are actually increasing tire diameter by 2" that might make a difference in truck performance. Use this calculator it allows you to determine gear ratio and other sundry items. It might help you make a decision.

Tire size calculator
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
jstar wrote:
I have an 03 F250 club cab Lariat with long bed and the infamous 7.3L diesel with 85k original miles on it. Snip...

Why do you say "infamous"? That engine is probably the best one Ford ever made! I had one in a '02 F250 that took us over 350,000 miles with no problems whatsoever and was still running great when I traded it in two years ago.
I even had it running with a tuner for increased HP and torque for half of its' life. I would call it the "famous" 7.3L diesel! 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Changing the diameter of your tires does matter, even one inch. If you go larger you are effectively lowering the rear end ratio and losing power.

Tread design has improved a lot in the last ten years. Consider the type of driving you do. It is mostly on the highway and gravel roads, then you need a less aggressive tread. There are plenty of all-terrain tires that are quiet and perform well in rain and snow. You don't need Cepek mud tires with loud aggressive tread unless you are pounding the bush all the time.

jstar
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
No problems with a AT tire on the truck but for towing and hauling duties those 1" taller tire may be a power killer for a stock 7.3.....tires weight and diameter. And much depends on your expectations from the 7.3 PSD.

You really think 1 inch will make that much difference? I kind of wondered about that. Hum.
jstar

jstar
Explorer
Explorer
Toolguy5 wrote:
I ran Goodyear Wranglers All Terrain on my 2006 towing a Chaparral a little heavier then your Ditchmen. Never a problem.

****, I did say that, lol. OK Lariat.
jstar

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
No problems with a AT tire on the truck but for towing and hauling duties those 1" taller tire may be a power killer for a stock 7.3.....tires weight and diameter. And much depends on your expectations from the 7.3 PSD.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
jstar wrote:
I have an 03 F250 club cab Laramie with long bed and the infamous 7.3L diesel with 85k original miles on it. I just purchased a 2017 Dutchmen Denali that weighs about 10k dry. My truck has the original 16 inch wheels and older dry rotted tires. I purchased some Mayhem aftermarket wheels in 18 inch as the 16 just seem too dang small. The tires I have now are 265 75 16 and I want to go with 305 65 18 tires which will be exactly the same size sidewall but a little wider by an inch and since the wheels are 2 inches taller so will the whole wheel/tire setup giveing my truck a 1 inch lift. My question is I know I need an E rated tire for the heavy towing I will be doing but what experience do any of you have running an all terrain tire. Will they overheat etc? Should I not get an all terrain tire? I would love some experienced input. Thanks for any help.

Laramie?
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ran Goodyear Wranglers All Terrain on my 2006 towing a Chaparral a little heavier then your Ditchmen. Never a problem.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most truck tires now are all terrain. That are all I have used for the last 20 years.

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS