cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air bags - required ?

Shipwreck2
Explorer
Explorer
So we have our 5th wheel a cougar xlite being pulled by an f250 6.7l diesel and it works well. I would like air bags but my question for now is do I need them? With the trailer fully loaded for a trip with water I only get 1.5" drop in the box of the truck.

We will be doing a 2week 2500km(round trip) vacation to the east cost in a couple weeks. I have had no issues so far without airbags. Any experience of those who towed without and then added later on how performance improved? Just trying to put off the purchase cost if I can.
25 REPLIES 25

NW_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Sumo Springs - http://supersprings.com/supersprings_fitchart_ford.asp

Similar to Timbrens, but superior IMHO - I've used both. They help support the load and cushion some of those nasty bumps. They replace the factory bump stops and only engage when you put a load on the truck, so they don't effect your ride when unloaded.

Happy trails,
Bill
2016 Mobile Suites 39DBRS3 King bed, bath & a half, Residential fridge, dishwasher, washer & dryer, Fiberglass Roof, MorRyde IS, disc brakes
2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CC 4X4 DRW Cummins 6.7L, Aisin trans, 4.10 gears Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2

Dumoldles
Explorer
Explorer
I use Timbrens...simple and do what they are supposed to do.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shipwreck2 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. I was looking at the air bags to help with two issues. First with no trailer or weight the truck is very stiff so you feel every bump. I was told by another f250 owner that he keeps 20psi in and it helps cushion the ride. The second issue is with the trailer I sometimes get some vertical bounce from the trailer which makes the truck feel like it is being pulled back a little

Guess for now I will not do anything with the truck.

Adding bags to an unloaded truck IMHO won't improve or hurt the ride running 5psi. Running 20psi in an unloaded truck will make the ride worse.

If your truck sits level when loaded it does NOT NEED bags but I can tell you bags DO improve loaded ride. I ran 5 unloaded and when the load was applied the pressure would go to 30psi and my 11 RAM Dually rode good. The 30 did not raise the rear just helped control the springs. I also added Bilstein's.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shipwreck2 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. I was looking at the air bags to help with two issues. First with no trailer or weight the truck is very stiff so you feel every bump. I was told by another f250 owner that he keeps 20psi in and it helps cushion the ride. The second issue is with the trailer I sometimes get some vertical bounce from the trailer which makes the truck feel like it is being pulled back a little

Well the first issue is just part of having enough truck to carry a load, it isn't a car and will not ride like one, maybe when towing.

The second issue is referred to as chucking, it can be solved, without bags.

#1. Great shocks on the TV Bilstein's on my rig.
#2. at least 20 percent pin weight!
#3. Get the 5er level in towing position.
#4. Put shocks on the 5er.

This is what I did with my rig, and I really enjoy towing it now. It always handled well, but would get a good bounce sometimes at bridge transitions. Now we hardly notice them.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
What psi are you running in the rear tires. Not sure what Ford recommends but my Ram says 45psi in the rear when empty.

Shipwreck2
Explorer
Explorer

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I threw timbrens on my truck even though I didn't need them. They firm things up a bit under load and help with unexpected big bumps. It was fine without them but it's a bit better with them so worth the $200. Compared to bags I like that they're simple, require no maintenance and don't limit droop off-road. Also no change in unloaded ride.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

danskool
Explorer
Explorer
Shipwreck2 wrote:
So we have our 5th wheel a cougar xlite being pulled by an f250 6.7l diesel and it works well. I would like air bags but my question for now is do I need them? With the trailer fully loaded for a trip with water I only get 1.5" drop in the box of the truck.

We will be doing a 2week 2500km(round trip) vacation to the east cost in a couple weeks. I have had no issues so far without airbags. Any experience of those who towed without and then added later on how performance improved? Just trying to put off the purchase cost if I can.

1.5" = Don't need them
If you get a lot of bounce, Get better shocks. Or adjustable shocks. Springs and bags keep the truck off the ground and carry the weight. and some other things. But the shocks control ride quality.

I drop 2.5 inches. I pump up my air bags to achieve a 1.5" drop instead. Anymore PSI I get binding in my ujoints (drive line angle) from the extra weight the u joints has to drive at a steep angle.

I won't touch a thing. If you want to fool with the bouncies, try the rancho adjustable shocks.

If you want a night and day ride quality improvement, Try the mor-ride pin box.
Dan

2021 5th Wheel Crusader 29RS
2001 F250 XLT 7.3 PSD

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
50 lbs in mine every time I tow take some strain off those springs and levels truck. I hate riding high at the front

Drifter1959
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Nothing wrong with adding bags even if you don't need them. Heck some people add a diesel motor even though they don't need it. If the ride improves and you can get your setup more to your liking then add some bags.

Yea but......real trucks rattle! lol!
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually 4X4, RAM Puck w/ Demco Hijacker 21K Autoslide, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4.10's, 51 Gal Midship Titan Fuel Tank.
Wagon: 2015 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing wrong with adding bags even if you don't need them. Heck some people add a diesel motor even though they don't need it. If the ride improves and you can get your setup more to your liking then add some bags.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
A trip across the 'scales' will give you real world weight numbers vs wondering IF I need this or that band-aid fix

I didn't need a trip to the scales to know i was going to be OK towing our new rig once I put the pin on the TV!!

The only issues I had were leveling the 5er, and smoothing the 5er's ride.

Why are folks so intimated by a $12 trip across scales that provide REAL information about set up/combo VS guessing :H

Didn't say I have never been across the scales, actually free here in Oregon at state weigh stations (off hours).
The current round numbers are;
Front 4,500#
Rear 5,500#
Trailer 9,500#
Ratings;
Front 5,200#
Rear 6,084#
Tires optional 265/75-16E rated at 3,415# ea (camper Package).
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
A trip across the 'scales' will give you real world weight numbers vs wondering IF I need this or that band-aid fix

I didn't need a trip to the scales to know i was going to be OK towing our new rig once I put the pin on the TV!!

The only issues I had were leveling the 5er, and smoothing the 5er's ride.

Why are folks so intimated by a $12 trip across scales that provide REAL information about set up/combo VS guessing :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Rjdreyer
Explorer
Explorer
Save your money. If anything, maybe timbrens. No need for airbags. Wish I knew this before installing airbags on mine. Timbrens are maintenance free.