cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air conditioner grill cover

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was just out in the rv looking up and I can see the white plastic cover thru the air conditioner grill. I'm now going to build an insulated inside cover for it and Velcro it on. Anyone got any input on a better idea?
6 REPLIES 6

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures would help
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to go up on roof and remove outer cover (shroud).
The evap coil and squirrel cage of fan blower are under a separate sealed cover so that outside air does NOT get in/cold air does NOT get out.

The outside air does NOT get in thru any part/section of an RV Roof top A/C Unit. In a full blow wind storm no outside air comes in via roof top A/C let along any light.

Sounds like you are missing the cover (usually metal) that covers evap cooler.

Up on the roof top you must go..........HO HO HO
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Has that ever been worked on? Sounds like some left off some parts. Like mentioned you should not be able to see that.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking up thru the return air plenum and seeing light thru the plastic exterior cover (white). I cannot see thru the squirrel cage fan side though. Why isn't there a flap valve to shut when the air conditioner isn't running at the roof opening of the return air duct? And why doesn't the roof shroud have Styrofoam on the coach side so the return air isn't heated before going thru the evap coil when running the air.

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
You're going to have to turn down that X-ray vision a bit :B
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd investigate WHY you can see the shroud from inside??

With return air filter cover off you should only be able to see evap cooler...it is covered with a sealed insulated cover not open to outside

With the whole ceiling grill assembly removed you should only be able to see fan blower squirrel cage......it also is inside the sealed insulated cover that goes over evap cooler and not open to outside.

Should also NOT be able to see one from one side to other side (fan blower to evap cooler) as that has a partition to separate them---return air from cool discharge air).

A/C Unit sits on a base pan and is sealed from outside via a roof gasket

So not only should you NOT be able to see shroud you should NOT be able to see any outside light.

Shroud not shown in this diagram......sits over the whole unit covering everything.

Are you really seeing the shroud OR is it the styrofoam insulation around fan blower?

Condenser & cooling fan motor/blade are the only components exposed to the outside. Seen only thru vents in shroud or with shroud removed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31