cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AlCan trip.. 5'r or TC?

way2nutz
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this in the Alaska forum as well, but all of you here have never steered me wrong so I posted here as well.

I've read a ton of posts from my searches, but my eyes are crossing, so thought I'd post a question instead.

3 of us couples working on a 2015 Alaska trip from Washington State.

We'd like some input on what you feel the best rig would be for this trip. All three couples have 29-33' 5th wheels, as well as 10' campers. We're going back and forth between them trying to make a decision, so thought we'd check in with those of you that have made the trip!

TC:
More maneuverable.
Less fuel used.
Way less storage.
Small holding tanks
Tight quarters for 2 months. (we've all been married for over 30years so we can probably deal with it...lol)
Pain in the arse to drop for sightseeing etc.
Less cost if we use the Alaska Marine Highway

5r:
Comforts of home
Large holding tanks
Lots of storage
Real shower as opposed to wet shower in the TC
How well will a mid level 5r holdup on that trip?
Are most sites large enough for a long bed crewcab truck and 5r?
Considerably more fuel used.

If we go with campers, one couple plans to take a 14' aluminum boat/trailer with a weather proof tonneau cover that all three couples can use for storage.

We've all been RV'ing with each other for 25+ years so we arent new to RV'ing by any means, and this is the first time we haven't been able to make a decision. We're all open to either setup, but need a few 'professional' opinions!

Thanks all!
2007 BigFoot 25C10.5
2015 Silverado 3500 CC 8'box D/A
2015 Terrain Denali
2000 Bayliner 1950
2014 Camaro SS/RS
2007 Corvette
2010 Impala
5 REPLIES 5

Admin
Forum Rules
"You are not allowed to post the same message in multiple forums without permission from one of the Open Roads Forum moderators."

See post in Alaska forum.

Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a toss-up.

We drove there and back from Michigan in our no-slide 28' Class C with our 2 medium-sized dogs. At the end of our journey 28 days later (yes, we did a "drive-by" of Alaska) - the C was feeling mighty small.

North of aptly-named Destruction Bay, you'll encounter frost heaves. Think "roller coaster" for RVs. Our C handled it quite well - but we watched an "A" with a toad, and I'd say the towbars were moving 4' up and down as the 2 vehicles traveled the humps and dips. I'm not sure how alarming that would be, towing a 5er; but then I'm sure the rolling motion isn't fun with something with a higher center-of-gravity, either.

Most "RV Parks" (I use that term loosely) are simply parking lots that offer electric and water hookups. The shower facilities of some will require your sense of humor - I remember one was an old semi-trailer with plumbing....LOL! So parking a bigger rig shouldn't be a problem. Both Canada and Alaska cater to RVs - scenic pullouts are a dime-a-dozen and big enough to accommodate long RVs. Parking areas for restaurants, shopping, etc are sized accordingly.

Unless you're planning to take the ferry - I'd opt for the 5ers if you enjoy your creature comforts?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

ronday
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is Truck Camper. 2007 a 13K mile (10 wks)trip to Alaska. 2010 a 10K mile (8 week) trip to the Calgary Stampede and 2012 a 10K mile (8 week) trip to the southwest, competed our goal of all 50 states. So much easier to get around. Such as the day we turned around in the middle of the road to go back to see a huge black bear. Never needed a reservation only at Denali. Have made many shorter trips with the TC. As you can see from my signature I have both a 5ver and a TC. Ron Day
2008 Chevy 2500HD D/A, Crewcab SB, Pullrite superglide
2011 Big Country BC 3250TS 33ft 5ver
2005 Fleetwood 26ft 5ver
2005 Sun Lite Truck Camper
Ron - 29 yrs HS Tech Teacher (ret) 24 yrs USN/USNR Chief (ret)
Sheila - 29 yrs HS Home and Careers Teacher (ret)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are not allowed to post the same message in multiple forums without permission from one of the Open Roads Forum moderators.

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
We left from Florida and went a different way (Montana) than you are going. Seems like it was more mountainous from where you are. If you are taking ferry, a lot less money with the tc. As far as maneuverability, I had no problems with our 28' Denali, swerving around potholes in Yukon and no problems finding sites. I had seriously thought about renting or buying tc for the trip, but our fw worked very well. If it were me I'd vote for the fifth wheel, unless your the one pulling the boat. I'm more into comfort at this stage, especially for two months. Three or four weeks, I might opt for the tc. When we went up there two years ago we met up with some friends from Key Largo that flew up there and rented mini-van for a month and camped with it. Not for me anymore.