cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

All trailer lights flash when let off brake pedal

Jealpu927
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering if anyone has run into the same issue I have . Last year I bought a 2018 Jayco Eagle 27.5 RLTS. When I am towing and have all my marker lights on, all of my lights flash when I let off the brake pedal(every time). All of my lights work as they should for normal use. I just cant figure out why they flash. I checked all of my 7 way connections to see if there was any corrosion(found none) and I checked to see if all the wires were in the correct position (all correct). My brakes work as they should.

I asked my dealer and they don't have a clue.

My tow vehicle is a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD. I tow a equipment trailer with this truck and do not have the issue with that trailer.

I'm hoping someone else has run into this and might have an answer.

Thanks!!
3 REPLIES 3

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
I hope this saves you hours of trouble shooting. See below.

I have a 2017 Ford dually with a DRV 2010 5th wheel, LED lights and disc brakes. If any of you have or know of anyone having a problem with your truck display saying, โ€œTrailer Disconnected or Right or Light Turn Signal Failedโ€, here is the solution.

Purchase a Curt LED Electrical Adapter, part # 57003. This will save you many hours hunting for bad grounding problems and days at your truck dealer.

Ford service techs, service managers and the national Ford rep could not come up with a solution. Over several months I read different forums on this issue, talked to Hydrostat the brake controller company, working with the Ford people, RV service shops and contracting Dream Suite RV tech service support several times. Also changed out the trailers cord cab and spend several days checking wiring connections, all the ground connections and tapping and drilling better ground connections.
Finally called Dream Suite RV tech support one more time and talked to a service tech who has had customers with this very issue. Some trucks โ€œFordโ€ just do not recognize RVโ€™s with LED lights/brake set ups. Purchase this cord adapter, plugged it in yesterday and no more Trailer Disconnected and Signal Failure Messages. This very simple Curt LED Electrical Adapter # 57003 save the day for me. Please pass the word and help others.

History:

When I start to pull out of my yard the truck dash reads out that the trailer is disconnected. Also when I turn the left and right turn signal on when driving the truck reads out that the signals are failed and the truck dash right or left signal flashes rapidly. I have hooked up to different trailers, have the ford dealer check the sockets, changed out the trailer 7 pin connector. I have hooked up to different trailers,checked the connections on the trailer and truck to the best of my ability. Only when I connect to my DRV 5th wheel I am having a disconnected trailer reading. I am an electrician. Most RV shop that I have contacted say that I am having a bad trailer grounding issues.
Chuck

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I answered in your other post which is now closed.Other post

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suspect the trailer ground wire is not making a good connection at the frame. This could result in your brakes and marker lights getting a ground through the trailer ball. When you apply the brakes the trailer weight pushes against the ball making a good connection. When you release the brake the ball and hitch may loosen enough to make the lights flash.

A friends TT did the same thing as yours. His marker lights would also go on and off while driving down the road. He spent 2 days trying to figure it out. I stopped by to help him and found two problems.
1) There was rust on the bolt threads and wire connector where it contacts the frame.
2) the painted frame itself did not make good connection and only relied on the bolt for a ground.

We removed the bolt holding the wire to the frame, used a grinder to clean off the paint, replaced the ground wire eyelet connector then applied some neversieze to the bolt thread and reattached. Then spray painted any visible bare spots.

Check the ground wire first.

Oops, I just saw you posted this in 5th wheel but the problem may still be where the ground wire connects to the trailer frame.