cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford F-350 hitch adapter kit uncertainty

madeenr_m
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a used new truck, 2015 F-350 to tow my Lakota 5th. The Husky slider 16K in my old truck was a rail attachment hitch. I have found a Ford part whose nomenclature is
5th Wheel Rail Mount Adaptor Kit PN: BC3Z19H282A. This device looks like it marries to the built in attachment points in the F 350 SD bed. However, when cross referencing the PN to VIN, I get told by the Ford website that this part is not compatible with my VIN. I don't want to buy a new hitch if the old/serviceable one can be use on the new truck.

I live aways away from an RV dealership or reliable Ford dealer so I can't just drive down and verify. Wondering if any Forum readers have experience with this adapaptor kit issue.

Ron M.
12 REPLIES 12

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
With the adapter you are simply throwing good money after bad!

Above is true. Some things to consider...Using an adapter raises hitch height. Depending on fit, can be a more movement/clunking. Do you really need a sliding hitch? A B&W 3300 for Ford (non-slider) fits the pucks directly, and is light wt...2 pieces 75 lbs/78 lbs. A direct fit slider is also available, but heavier.

If you save the $400, not buying adapter, sell the current hitch, you'll only be about $400 from a quality direct fit hitch. I know, it is easy to spend other peoples money, and if wanting to keep current hitch, it will work with one of the adapters.

Enjoy that new to you truck!

Jerry

Well in my case it was about $600 to $700 if I sold the Reese and skipped the adapter, and bought a B&W for the puck system. It is on the list, but had other short term needs for those $$$$.
So a $300 Reese adapter, and the old Reese hitch, well it all worked out great! The new 2016 bed is deeper, the adapter covered that and about 1/2" of extra rail clearance.

They do work out great, in all honesty , what have you given up not spending that 6-7 hundred. As said I did what you did 5 years ago, and can't think of a thing I would do different .

The first thing I thought of was could I use my existing hitch, and after a bit of research the adapter showed up .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Ron Ron Ron, The op has a hitch that he likes , the adapter is a great way to go. There are hitches in this world that work well , not everyone needs ,nor wants a B&W. I have an 18K Reese Signature ,same head as the Elite, has worked flawlessly for going on 12 years, five of those years sitting on the Reese adapter.

Now the OP can go to a hitch with the puck system, thats is also a great way to go, and he may not be aware, but if he is, its apparent he is happy with his existing hitch , then as said the adapter is a great way to go, There is a reason they build them .

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Above is true. Some things to consider...Using an adapter raises hitch height. Depending on fit, can be a more movement/clunking. Do you really need a sliding hitch? A B&W 3300 for Ford (non-slider) fits the pucks directly, and is light wt...2 pieces 75 lbs/78 lbs. A direct fit slider is also available, but heavier.

If you save the $400, not buying adapter, sell the current hitch, you'll only be about $400 from a quality direct fit hitch. I know, it is easy to spend other peoples money, and if wanting to keep current hitch, it will work with one of the adapters.

Jerry

Well in my case it was about $600 to $700 if I sold the Reese and skipped the adapter, and bought a B&W for the puck system. It is on the list, but had other short term needs for those $$$$.
So a $300 Reese adapter, and the old Reese hitch, well it all worked out great! The new 2016 bed is deeper, the adapter covered that and about 1/2" of extra rail clearance.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Here is a better Demco picture frame adapter. Rated to 25K vs 20K for the one above and sits down closer to bed floor, which in many cases is important for leveling the hitch/pin box/trailer.

https://tweetys.com/demco-6175-ford-factory-fifth-wheel-oe-prep-package-isr-adapter-bracket-25k.aspx...

I can not find the height measurement for the Demco one, however the other one above is listed as 3". I believe that the Demco one is 1.5-2" above the bed. I have the RAM Demco one.Chris

I am sure the Demco is a great adapter, I have the Reese,,and IMO is equal , and its the same weight rating 25K, and sits 2" above the bed. The Reese adapter as you said for the ford is 3", and could be a factor ,although we are talking 1", and the 20K rating , if that is an issue, and thats a big if .

Reese adapters are as solid as any ,have used mine now for 5years. Not sure why such a price difference Demco for that ford is 467.95, Reese is 298.80 ,both from Tweety's . Free shipping
That is 169.15 difference in price, there isn't 15 cents difference in them , other then if as said the 25K rating is needed .

Just having an adapter, and only one brand the Reese, I see no reason for spending more on it then needed .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Jerry

The adapter has no movement , or clunking, if so there is adjustment , granted there could be some movement in the hitch , itโ€™s the same as mounting the hitch on bed rails. But the adapter is solid.

I went with the Reese adapter on my Ram to use my existing 18k Reese hitch. Itโ€™s far
from throwing good money after bad. If the OP has a hitch he likes the adapter is a great way to go.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a better Demco picture frame adapter. Rated to 25K vs 20K for the one above and sits down closer to bed floor, which in many cases is important for leveling the hitch/pin box/trailer.

https://tweetys.com/demco-6175-ford-factory-fifth-wheel-oe-prep-package-isr-adapter-bracket-25k.aspx...

I can not find the height measurement for the Demco one, however the other one above is listed as 3". I believe that the Demco one is 1.5-2" above the bed. I have the RAM Demco one.Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Husky 16k hitch and a 2015 F-350 with the Adaper that Old-Biscuit shows previous. Works like a charm, my rig is level. Easy in, easy out. Just made a 1500 mile trip to Big Bend, not a problem. I actually have been using this adapter in my previous 250 and moved it to this 350. Total miles pulling with the adapter is well over 15k. I would do it again if needed.
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do your self a favor and sell what you have instead of buying an adapter and then buy a B&W puck hitch. You will thank me!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ford Adapter Frame

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rather than dealing with the Ford parts world.
This is what I have:

Reese Elite Series Underbed Rail Adapter for Standard 5th Wheel Trailer Hitches - 20,000 lbs
Item # RP30156

This has the cams that attach to the underbed system, then your hitch drops into the slots on the top.

Image wouldn't post for me...