Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anderson Ultimate Hitch WARNING ***WARNING

RetiredSquid
Explorer
Explorer
Email between me and Anderson Customer Service:

Jim,

Thank you for contacting us in regards to our Ultimate Connection Hitch and due to some flex in the bed of the truck we have changed the torque sequence on the base of the hitch to ensure it is snug when towing.

Place base over gooseneck ball and pin to the gooseneck ball
Tighten upper bolt to 50 ft.lbs of torque
Lower Trailer onto pyramid base (prior to tightening the two lower set bolts)
Re-torque the top bolt to 50 ft.lbs in case any flex of the base or bed came into play.
Tighten the lower two set bolts on the coupler tube to 40 ft. lbs.

Thanks,

Dave.

On 2015-10-07 13:36, Jim Cummings wrote:
Recentlly I read that Anderson revised the torque sequence on the
untimate hitch? Same as before but torque top bolt again after
connecting trailor?

True?

Jim Cummings
36 REPLIES 36

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
up2nogood wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Sport45 wrote:
Old news.

The biggest issue I see is Andersen hasn't updated their video instructions to include the new steps. This may be a problem since so many don't read instructions.

This concern may not be limited to the Andersen hitch. B&W has a popular hitch that mounts to the bed in a similar fashion.

B&W has addressed the issue of bed filex with the updated 20K Companion. They also updated the 18K that would deflect the bed when towing heavy like I was.

So I won't mention the bed flex with the Andersen because my last feeling was hurt a while back when mention the bed flex. :B

Go read the 23 page thread on the Cummins forum, might ease you ,and Me Again's mind on something you both will never own.

I don't do the Cummins Forum since someone has my handle.

:R

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
that looks pretty cool.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about removable bed rails?

You could pin this to the Demco Hijacker 6099 picture frame that I bought and the load is then on the frame of a RAM truck via the pucks.

https://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3200--ultimate-5th-wheel-connection-rail-version.aspx

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Learjet wrote:
I'm liking my bed rails more and more...since I don't care or need a flat bed when the hitch is removed. I used the Curt custom brackes with a heavy plate bolted to the frame on each side with 3 large bolts. Then the plates meet under the bed rails and support the rails with the spacers so the bed doesn't crush. Very robust design.

underneath the bed rail pictures. If you look closely you can see the top spacers

Very nice! And if you get one of These and you can haul a gooseneck trailer if you ever need one.

I like the idea of a flat bed... but my friends and my dad who haul fivers use the bed rails. We have used their trucks for many different things... The rails have NEVER got in the way or prevented us from loading something.

Plus they are really handy tie off points.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
up2nogood wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Sport45 wrote:
Old news.

The biggest issue I see is Andersen hasn't updated their video instructions to include the new steps. This may be a problem since so many don't read instructions.

This concern may not be limited to the Andersen hitch. B&W has a popular hitch that mounts to the bed in a similar fashion.

B&W has addressed the issue of bed filex with the updated 20K Companion. They also updated the 18K that would deflect the bed when towing heavy like I was.

So I won't mention the bed flex with the Andersen because my last feeling was hurt a while back when mention the bed flex. :B

Go read the 23 page thread on the Cummins forum, might ease you ,and Me Again's mind on something you both will never own.

I don't do the Cummins Forum since someone has my handle.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ranchertx wrote:
I use the Anderson hitch with my Mobile Suite and Ram truck and have for 2 1/2 years. I use a rubber bed mat. I have never had any trouble like the op refers to. The hitch is above several frame cross members and I dont see the sheet metal flexing.

How would you know if the bed is flexing with a rubber mat in the bed?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
I'm liking my bed rails more and more...since I don't care or need a flat bed when the hitch is removed. I used the Curt custom brackes with a heavy plate bolted to the frame on each side with 3 large bolts. Then the plates meet under the bed rails and support the rails with the spacers so the bed doesn't crush. Very robust design.

underneath the bed rail pictures. If you look closely you can see the top spacers

I had the conventional bedrail setup on my previous truck, great setup, other then not a complete empty bed. Although I never found the bedrail's to be much of a hinderance .

I think overall this puck system is great, but as far as I know if you go a slider ,you are pretty much stuck with a picture frame. I'd like to see Andersen come out with a puck design on their fifth hitch .It would be a great setup. It would sure quiet down the opinion givers on the bed deflection. I have never been too thrilled with the picture frame ,just another 75 lbs of weight, and then you have to pile a bunch more iron on top of it.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Sport45 wrote:
Old news.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ranchertx wrote:
I use the Anderson hitch with my Mobile Suite and Ram truck and have for 2 1/2 years. I use a rubber bed mat. I have never had any trouble like the op refers to. The hitch is above several frame cross members and I dont see the sheet metal flexing.

Don't confuse our opinion guys with the facts about the Andersen hitch.

ranchertx
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sport45 wrote:
Old news.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
The real question is the pickup bed constructed to handle thousands of lbs of weight in consencrated points in the bed without deforming it? I believe the answer from the truck manufacturers would say no. Stating the bed is just sheet metal that was not designed for such service. If you dent it, then that is the users fault not theirs.

There have been many misconceptions posted here including that the gooseneck hitch holds up the weight, when it is used to pull the hitch frame down on the sheet metal bed floor. Chris

The bed is designed to carry payload of various types and sizes and shapes. The bed floor is just sheet metal but there are hat channels under the bed that reinforce the sheet metal and transfer the weight to the frame.

This type of fifth wheel adaptor has been used for years by B&W... so the idea of connecting the gooseneck hitch and using a wide base to transfer weight down is not new.

Some Owners of both the B&W companion and the Anderson have mentioned minor denting in the hitch. B&W added plastic strips under the base of the companion to fill the bed corrugations to prevent this crushing of the bed corrugations.

Even regular fifth wheel rails will do this if there is not a spacer placed strategically to fill the bed corrugations.

Anderson does not have anything like the slats to fill bed corrugations. Since the Andersen mounts to the ball instead of a stinger that mounts into the gooseneck receiver it relies more on friction to keep the base from rotating some around the ball... hence the "Good" when the bed mat was referenced.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The real question is the pickup bed constructed to handle thousands of lbs of weight in consencrated points in the bed without deforming it? I believe the answer from the truck manufacturers would say no. Stating the bed is just sheet metal that was not designed for such service. If you dent it, then that is the users fault not theirs.

There have been many misconceptions posted here including that the gooseneck hitch holds up the weight, when it is used to pull the hitch frame down on the sheet metal bed floor. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Old news.

โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk