Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Subj . . . TIRES

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
All . . . .A very worn out subject.
I really need your help in buying a new set of 5th wheel tires. We have a heavy (3000 #s per wheel) Cedar Creek. We bought 5 GY Marathon tires within the last year. ST235/80/r16. Pressure of 80 #s. 2 of the 5 tires have blown out within less than a year. Don't want to buy more Marathons.
Questions . . . . Will LT tires work better than ST tires for heavy 5th wheel? Can we use 235/85/16 tires, and would that help carry the load. I see that "Me Again" recommends Michelin XPS tires, and Duval R250 tires. Any other recommended tire for a heavy 5th wheel??
Which tires have a stronger side wall??

thanks . . . . ken and sue.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."
60 REPLIES 60

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ken burke wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ken burke wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Is that 3000 lbs per tire a estimate or actual scaled weight ?
Rv trailers with slide outs are notorious for weighing several hundred lbs different side to side...plus running in a strong side wind all day long can over load a tire on the down wind side if it doesn't have any reserve capacity. Tire experts say a 15-20 percent reserve capacity is a better idea.

What is the trailers GVWR ?
Does your trailer have 6k or 7k axles ?
Lots of 16" trailer wheels rated for G tires (3750 lb ) at 110 psi. Check your wheels for proper load and pressure rating.

I had the 5th wheel weighed at the FROG event last year. they used a scale on each of the 4 wheels. So the 3000# weight, side to side, is pretty good. The trailer weighs 15000 pounds. Both sides had about the same load.
I have 16 inch wheels, 6 lugs wheels, 6,000 pound axles, trailer GVWR is about 14,000 pounds.
If my wheels could take the extra pressure, I would put on "G" rated tires. However, I like the good record of the Michelin RIBS. It is either the RIBS or G rated tire.

And, how can I check the rating of the 16 inch wheels to see if they can take the higher pressure load??

Get the "G" tires and run them at 85 that will give you 3,170 capacity or at 90 that will give 3,300# per tire. Your rims will be fine!

I did the same with 6 lug steel wheels on my Avion. Went from E's to G's and ran 85 for many thousands of miles snd had perfectly even tread wear.

Good information . . . thanks. The "key" question is . . . . . .how heavy is your 5th wheel? Is it close to 15,000 pounds? I think that I would be okay with E rated tires if my trailer was 1,000 pounds lighter.
So the question is . . . Would the Michelines be better than the G rated tires at 90#s pressure?????
We are full timers, and can't really get rid of extra weight.
Thanks . . . ken

Personally I would get the GY "G" tires and inflate based on actual weight plus 5 PSI per GY recommendations when changing load range.

I have had ZERO issues with the GY E, G, and H sets of tires I have owned, not even a flat.

Spend the money, properly inflate and enjoy the ride.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
So the question is . . . Would the Michelines be better than the G rated tires at 90#s pressure?????
Thanks . . . ken

Look at it this way. You say your trailer has a 3000 lb per tire weight which the G tires (3750 lbs) will give a 25% reserve capacity at max psi.
As I or some one mentioned traveling all day in a strong side wind will overload the 3042 lb rated tires on the lee side.....all day long.

With a 3000 lb per tire weight I would use the G load range tire and use at least 100-110 psi. Remember ply shear as the tires slide sideways around corners enters the tire pressure equation also. A 110 psi tire will hold its shape better than a 80 psi tire in this situation.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ken burke wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Rv trailers with slide outs are notorious for weighing several hundred lbs different side to side...plus running in a strong side wind all day long can over load a tire on the down wind side if it doesn't have any reserve capacity. Tire experts say a 15-20 percent reserve capacity is a better idea.

Lots of 16" trailer wheels rated for G tires (3750 lb ) at 110 psi. Check your wheels for proper load and pressure rating.

I had the 5th wheel weighed at the FROG event last year. they used a scale on each of the 4 wheels. So the 3000# weight, side to side, is pretty good. The trailer weighs 15000 pounds. Both sides had about the same load.
I have 16 inch wheels, 6 lugs wheels, 6,000 pound axles, trailer GVWR is about 14,000 pounds.
If my wheels could take the extra pressure, I would put on "G" rated tires. However, I like the good record of the Michelin RIBS. It is either the RIBS or G rated tire.

And, how can I check the rating of the 16 inch wheels to see if they can take the higher pressure load??

Get the "G" tires and run them at 85 that will give you 3,170 capacity or at 90 that will give 3,300# per tire. Your rims will be fine!

I did the same with 6 lug steel wheels on my Avion. Went from E's to G's and ran 85 for many thousands of miles snd had perfectly even tread wear.

Good information . . . thanks. The "key" question is . . . . . .how heavy is your 5th wheel? Is it close to 15,000 pounds? I think that I would be okay with E rated tires if my trailer was 1,000 pounds lighter.
Thanks . . . ken

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
ken burke wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:

Am I reading that correctly that your trailer weighs 15k and the GVWR is 14K????

3k per tire on 6k axles would be pushing it MHO.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ken burke wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
"G" rated tires are rated to 110 psi, not 120 psi.

True DAT. My GY "H" tires are rated at 125. Nice to have the extra capacity right from the factory!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"G" rated tires are rated to 110 psi, not 120 psi.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
Ohio_Engineer wrote:
ken burke wrote:

snip
. . .
Thanks, but I don't think that the "G" rated tires will fit on a 16 inch wheel. As for tire ratings, the Marathon's are rated for 3400#s, while our 5th wheel weighs 3000# per tire. I think that the Marathon's are under-rated.

Why would you think a LT235/85R16 LR-G would not fit a 16" rim but an LT235/85R16 LR-E or an LT235/85R16 LR-E would fit a 16" rim?

The "G" rated tire is rated at 120#s pressure. An "E" rated tire runs at 80#s pressure. I don't think that my 16 inch wheels will hold up under 120#s.
I have 16 inch rims, 80 # pressure, 6000# axles.

familyof3
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
familyof3 wrote:
I got the marathons too last year. Already blew one Thursday. I thought they would hold up but I guess I was wrong I will be checking on my rims and see if the will hold up the 110 psi but I doubt that they will knowing my luck. If not I'm going to get the 17.5 tires and rims It's all about the cost Either you upgrade to good tires or pay to keep fixing your skirting and fenders. Lol. But mine is a triple axle so that could be a lot of my problems. Maybe the LT tires will double the life of a ST tire and come out in the long run.

6 LT235/85R16E or LT245/75R16E tires are good for 18252 pounds on the axles, do you have more than that? If not, they why don't you just install Michelin XPS RIBs or Bridgestone Duravis R250s? You stay with 80 inflation tires and current rims. Next tire change would be in 6 to 8 years! Chris

Thanks Chris

I'll check into Michelin XPS RIBs or Bridgestone Duravis R250s tires. I don't believe it's the weight. It's gotta be the three axle and heat. Guess I'll call around and see where I can find me a set of tires. Thanks again Chris

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
He's probably running 7,000 lb. axles so he needs to have more than the Michelins to stay within the placard guidelines.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
familyof3 wrote:
I got the marathons too last year. Already blew one Thursday. I thought they would hold up but I guess I was wrong I will be checking on my rims and see if the will hold up the 110 psi but I doubt that they will knowing my luck. If not I'm going to get the 17.5 tires and rims It's all about the cost Either you upgrade to good tires or pay to keep fixing your skirting and fenders. Lol. But mine is a triple axle so that could be a lot of my problems. Maybe the LT tires will double the life of a ST tire and come out in the long run.

6 LT235/85R16E or LT245/75R16E tires are good for 18252 pounds on the axles, do you have more than that? If not, they why don't you just install Michelin XPS RIBs or Bridgestone Duravis R250s? You stay with 80 inflation tires and current rims. Next tire change would be in 6 to 8 years! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
johndeerefarmer wrote:
Goodyear G614. Made in America

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/tires/details.aspx?prodline=160007

X2; my Creek came w/ 614's
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

familyof3
Explorer
Explorer