cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone Use an Outdoor Stove?

BlueJean
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering as I am packing for a trip.
I have a plug-in for the propane, but not sure I would even use the stove outside.
37 REPLIES 37

dannytas
Explorer
Explorer
We set up cooking outdoors always and use the inside stove/oven as well. DW loves to bake cookies. Every rv that we have ever bought, except the coleman pop-up, had to have an oven. Setting up the "outside" is my job, while DW sets up the inside. It usually takes me a while and a few beers. I just take my time. Why rush!!!
2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCats-Pokie and Dottie

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
our normal setup includes a table with a Bass Pro Shopsยฎ 2-Burner Outfitter Ultra High Output Propane Stove and a Holland Companion Grill .... we connect them to the camper's OEM propane quick disconnect but for them to work we had get tank pressure propane to the disconnect .... having tank pressure available allows us to run a wide range of additional portable appliances

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
I have a two burner stove with the grill box it's great when cooking with a group but it's big and heavy. Cooking for two it's not worth setting it up so I leave it home more than I bring it. This year I'm buying a Weber q 1000 with a griddle it seems the right size for us.
Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a coleman two burner and we have a small 3 gallon propane tank that we use. I love cooking outside and hate smelling up the inside of the trailer. I purchased a kitchen setup that was on sale at a Coleman outlet and the entire setup is great.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Whether you cook outside, and whether you use the OEM propane connection are two different questions. We grill outside, and sometimes use a Coleman stove. But I use the small 1lb propane containers. I don't like to be tethered close to the side of the fiver, and who needs another hose to trip over? The small containers last plenty long and are cheap when you find a sale.

Cooking happens on the picnic table or on the bear box. Too far from the fiver.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

BlueJean
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all!
I shopped at the Big Tent in Quartzite but couldn't find the quick-connect LP hose to attach to my rigs outlet.
I guess the next Camper World I come to should have one.

I hear that about the bacon!

okraman
Explorer
Explorer
We carry our "vintage" Coleman 2 burner stove (Coleman fuel), a charcoal grill and 1 or 2 camp Dutch Ovens. Prefer to cook outside, but weather can change the plans. Also, frying bacon inside sets off the smoke alarm....... That drives us crazy, especially the furry kids. If the weather is going to be bad, we will take some of the pre-cooked bacon that just has to be warmed up in the microwave.
2014 Ram Laramie 3500, SRW, CTD, CC, 3.42, 4X4
2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36 FBTS
'05 Jayco Eagle 298 BHS
16' Nova Craft Prospector Canoe

ikoolu
Explorer
Explorer
i carry a two burner stove, small propane weber bbq, 2 dutch ovens and a flat cast iron grille- 90% of all cooking outside - bacon always taste better! plus i take the bedroom flat screen set it in the main storage bay and wayla - dinner and show-

arkansasrunner
Explorer
Explorer
I took one of our storage units toward the rear of our 5er & built a slide out kitchen. We have our coleman stove, a electric grill & a rotisserie. Just slide it out & start cooking. We use it 95% of the time.
1994 Ford F250 4 Wheel Drive Deisel
1991 NewMar Kountry Star 30'

Durhamcutter
Explorer
Explorer
I use a stove with a oven made by Camp Chef, I wouldn't go camping with out it, it bakes the best biscuits and the burners on top are first class.

elkhorn98
Explorer
Explorer
We almost always cook outside. I have 2 tables, a 3 burner stove, propane bbq, and a 18 x 24" griddle. I love being outside and keep the mess outside. I think it depends on what you like to eat as to where you would do the most cooking.
Elkhorn98
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison w/45 gal Transfer Flow Tank
RBW X16 Slider, Yamaha EF 2400iS
2007 Springdale 245 5th Wheel - E-Z Flex HD Suspension & Mobile Outfitters Shock Kit Upgrades
with Firestone Transforce Ht Lt 2357515 tires

railroadpastor
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a stainless steel stove from Costco. I added a 5 foot hose to it and tapped into the existing propane line after it went threw the regulator. I place a shut off valve on it. It is a long enough hose to reach a picnic table where I place the stove. I also have a portable table to use if there isn't a table handy. We traved to Alaska in June 2012. Used the stove almost every day. I Loved it. There is no need to carry an extra tank since you use the one on board.
Happy camping!

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We cook inside on the stove and in the oven and outside. For outside, we cook both on the pull out stove in our outdoor kitchen as well as on a charcoal grill separate from that.

I swore the outside microwave was the stupidest thing I had ever seen and I was going to remove it. But now ours gets used on a regular basis.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I use a coleman stove outside all the time, keeps heat down inside during summer trips and I bought a barbeque and took the regulator off and made it to hook up to our outside quick connect and use the barbeque quite a bit when away.