cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are your slides independently actuated?

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
I was talking to a salesman about an Open Range "The Light" and he mentioned that the two opposing slides were independently actuated. He insinuated that other brands had slides that operated only simultaneously. He also mentioned that the slides on that particular RV could be opened out to any degree you wanted, that is to say a little or all the way or anywhere in between. That statement made me wonder if that feature was unique to most brands or common in most brands. Thoughts on this?
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.
36 REPLIES 36

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
richfaa wrote:
The salesman was doing what some salesmen do trying to sell you his product buy telling lies about the brands he did not sell. Do the homework for yourself.

That's why I'm here.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
The salesman was doing what some salesmen do trying to sell you his product buy telling lies about the brands he did not sell. Do the homework for yourself.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

samandtheduck
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Carriage with four slides that operate independently. Nice if you need to get to one part of the trailer but are not setting it up to camp. Also you don't have to be looking in four directions for branches or obstacles when opening slides.
Brian

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Open Range with individually activated slides. Nice to creep out a bit to get into fridge when travelling.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV's require the slide be opened all the way to prevent wind from blowing in rain, or dust, as there is a interior slide seal that only engages while open 100%.

I have never seen a slide out that you just push one button and all the slides either retract or go out. I would think that to be silly design, as you might be in a situation that you can only slide out one into the street or something, or one slide might be next to the power post, tree or something else and must be left in for that trip. .

Some carry a cut off broom stick, that is 3' or 4' long (depending on slide length) and use that to make sure the trailer is in the correct position before opening the slides and before disconnecting the truck and making it level.

Newer slide outs, you can safely sit in them while they go in and out.

I would go back to that dealership, ask the salesperson (if they still work there) to slide out one, and part way. Look for sunlight between the sides of the slide. See if dust will blow in.

I think he is blowing smoke that they can be left 1/2 way out and no rain will get in. Sure it is possible, but most slides that I have seen might leak in some rain water.. . .

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
We had a cedar creek with 3 hyd slides. Normally all slides would operate off of one control. They would open one at a time due there not being enough hydraulic capacity for all 3 to move at the same time. They were also capable of being individually moved by using override switches. There was one override sw. for each slide that would block hydraulic flow for that slide.
Our current trailer has 3 electric slides that each has their own in/out control.

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
Lifestyle slides are independent.

Lillyputz
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri