cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

atwood water heater problems !!!

mudrat025
Explorer
Explorer
helo,i have a atwwod 6 gallon water heater model #gc6aa-10E.it was giving me troubles all last year with the thermal cutoff that had to be unplugged and plugged back in to fire up the water heater.so i bought the new thermal cutoff and tried to rplace the 2 amp fuse(which broke in half as i took it out).i replaced the thermal cutoff and then the fuse with the only one i had was a 20 amp(i know stupid but all i had)the unit fired up and ran fine and i checked on it the whole time and even let it cycle a few times.well i left it on all night but the tank is cold and now it wont fire back up.i am horrible with electrical but got a nice tester and know how to use it.i just need to be walked through of where to start and wht to look for.i am leaving very soon for a 5 state trip and could really use your guys help thanks!!!
10 REPLIES 10

mudrat025
Explorer
Explorer
just checked out the 12 volt there is 29 plus volts to GRN6 ORN1 WHT 2 BRN 3.everything else shows nothing(eco and gas t stats,spark and sense sensor,BRN 1 YLW 2 BLU 3 RED 4 GRN 5 GRN 6). is this a sign of a dead board?the local trailer shop could not test it due to not having the corredt connector.

mudrat025
Explorer
Explorer
yes, going to install new set of t-stats. my wife works next to Curtis trailers and they are not that expensive so i will start there.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I couldn't understand your last post...

"i am going to just but the thermostat Eco contacts new'

What were you trying to say......are you installing a new set of t-stats??

Bye-bye
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mudrat025
Explorer
Explorer
they aint that expensive old bisquit,i just want no headaches while on this 5 state roadtrip starting...Thursday!!!ugh!!!!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
mudrat025 wrote:
i am going to just but the thermostat Eco contacts new

:H

mudrat025
Explorer
Explorer
i am going to just but the thermostat Eco contacts new

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
mudrat025 wrote:
umm i think this unit is only gas fed?

You stated model # GC6AA-10E

G......propane gas
C......combination gas and 110V AC electric
6......gallon capacity
AA.....screw in electric element
10.....version
E......electronic ignition

gas valve, burner, spark electrode...outside compartment
electric element......backside of water heater (inside rv)

Uses one set of t-stats (outside compartment---ECO/Hi temp & t-stat/normal temp) for both electric and gas operation.

Wiring diagram is the correct one for that model.

mudrat025
Explorer
Explorer
umm i think this unit is only gas fed?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
As stated in your other 'atwood water heater' post 2 days ago....

That thermal cutoff was not your original problem. They are a 'one time' diode that when it trips it has to be replaced (trip on 190*F temp from blow-back/flare-back out of combustion chamber). Unplugging it and plugging it back in means that you made better contact so circuit to t-stat was completed.

Need to clean/tighten terminals where spade lugs connect, pull and clean connector on module/clean contact surface with a pencil eraser and replace that 20A fuse with a 2A fuse.....that is IF you haven't damaged the control module due to that oversized fuse which is there to protect the module from damage :S

Here is the wiring diagram......test for 12V DC

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That just may hold the record for longest sentence in history! 😉

EDIT: Sorry, My bad, I see the periods now (between the small case letters with no spaces).