cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auxiliary gas tank

mighty7sd
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Chevy 2500 gasser with a 26-gal tank and get about 7 mpg towing my 35' 5er. As you can imagine, having to refuel every 150 miles is quite tedious, especially because I don't have a lot of experience backing a 5er in tight gas station lots and can't use the truck islands. I have a 5 gal gas can in my bed that I can use if I just can't maneuver in a station and am not comfortable driving to another one. I have not used it yet, but I imagine filling up with 4-5 loads would be tiresome and time consuming.

I think replacement gas tank may be too expensive and this is really a daily driver with camping every other weekend planned, so probably unnecessary. A removable can seems most appropriate.

I came across 14 and 25 gallon gas carts that seem to be DOT rated on AmazonAmazon (http://a.co/9u25OPk) and wondered what folks here thought of them?

Do they fit and hold up in your truck bed with 5er attached? How do you anchor them? I hear they take forever to empty and might have low quality valves. Maybe a couple 5 gal cans are the solution. Any other thoughts?
2010 Chevy 2500 CC 4x4, Pullrite Superglide Autoslide
2016 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS
22 REPLIES 22

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
Winnipeg wrote:
Small tanks are definitely a pain. I had a Chevy Duramax with a 26 gallon tank. You never want to run out, especially with a diesel, so it was less than 20 gallons usable. On long trips, where you didn't know where fuel stations would be, we ended up getting fuel about every 150 miles! VERY slow progress.

We always kept 2 plastic Jerry cans in the back for backup, not fun (diesel on your hands is very stinky stuff).

I thought the solution would be to add an auxiliary tank, or maybe replace the stock tank with a larger one. Both options were available. BUT, just one problem. The pickup was a 2500 (3/4 ton) and the fiver already had it maxed out for weight. A small increase in fuel tank wasn't worth the cost and a large one would put the truck over weight.

Not an easy fix.

I had a similar problem. Two-hundred miles between fuel stops with my Duramax got real old, real fast. Replaced the stock 26-gallon tank with a 52-gallon Titan tank and am very happy with the added fuel capacity. In addition, L installed a set of 2500# Helwig Helper Springs to handle the extra weight which did not exceed my RAWR. Now we can travel 400 miles between fuel stops, which is essentially a day's travel for us.

If the OP can swing the bucks for a large replacement tank, I believe he won't regret it. Just MHO.
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
Small tanks are definitely a pain. I had a Chevy Duramax with a 26 gallon tank. You never want to run out, especially with a diesel, so it was less than 20 gallons usable. On long trips, where you didn't know where fuel stations would be, we ended up getting fuel about every 150 miles! VERY slow progress.

We always kept 2 plastic Jerry cans in the back for backup, not fun (diesel on your hands is very stinky stuff).

I thought the solution would be to add an auxiliary tank, or maybe replace the stock tank with a larger one. Both options were available. BUT, just one problem. The pickup was a 2500 (3/4 ton) and the fiver already had it maxed out for weight. A small increase in fuel tank wasn't worth the cost and a large one would put the truck over weight.

Not an easy fix.

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my ford V10 at 8mpg (on a good day with a tailwind) I made a wooden rack that held 4- 5 gal tanks for right behind the rear window. Saved my bacon more than once. Never had a problem and I ran a bike lock cable between them so no one could steal them.Biggest trouble as you all know is getting into and out of stations. By carrying extra allows one to pick an easier station.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RustyJC wrote:
I replaced the OEM fuel tank in my 2016 Ram (see signature) with a 55 gallon Titan OEM replacement tank. This allows us to drive all day without refueling and to fuel up at night at my choice of stations. It also relieves the stress of always being on the lookout or planning for that next fuel stop.

Rusty

This would be my solution, had I true need of a larger tank. Right now, a jerry can with some extra diesel, and careful route planning, gets me by. Only 1 time did I ever bring 2 cans, and that was a just-in-case. Didn't use the 2nd can until the return trip. The way things are now, one, if not both of us, has to stop every couple hours anyway... 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the OEM fuel tank in my 2016 Ram (see signature) with a 55 gallon Titan OEM replacement tank. This allows us to drive all day without refueling and to fuel up at night at my choice of stations. It also relieves the stress of always being on the lookout or planning for that next fuel stop.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'm watching this thread. My new Ram has 32 gallon tank, which I get about 250 mile range with the 6.4, however, looking at a trip maybe this spring that has a 300 mile stretch with no services.

Looked around at TSC, even the small transfer tanks are expensive, and have warnings about diesel fuel only, no gasoline. I guess there must be a lot of certifications, or insurance on these tanks to make them so expensive?

I have two 5gal Eagle safety cans, they're short and fat... I might build some sort of rack for them to sit in, and buy two more so I can carry them 2x2 so to speak.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
I put a 50 gal replacement tank on my F250 and I use it as a daily driver. I generally can drive over 500 miles towing my TT, so I only have to fill up once in the morning and I'm good all day. As a daily driver, I can generally go 4 to 6 weeks between fill ups - that's priceless. Next truck I buy a 50 gal replacement tank will be the first mod, second will be the spray on bed liner.

maskins
Explorer
Explorer
My 2005 chevy has the 26 gallon tank also. I try to fill up at a 1/4 of a tank so around 200 miles between gas stops. At least with the Diesel I can get to truck stops and not have to worry about height restrictions. I agree that $1000 and up is too much for a gas tank on a 12 year old truck. I looked at portable ones and most of them don't look wide enough for the diesel can. I decided to just get a couple of these and then if I stop somewhere I can just top off the truck tank.
https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fuels-3552-Utility/dp/B003TTTIZ2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1485377680&...
Chevy Duramax
Wildcat 327RE