cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awning cleaning 202, slide topper cleaning 101

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a question on awning cleaning/washing. Old RV had manual one so I could angle that down and wash w/ Tilex, roll up, wait 20 minutes, rinse off and wholla-----nice and clean.

Now with the new coach and most new RV's I presume all have electric awnings which are more/less straight out from sidewall with little to no angle to them (unless you loosen knobs up and angle that way). So how are folks cleaning these types of awnings using Tilex?

How do you go about washing slide toppers as well? Do you/can you use Tilex in same fashion?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
14 REPLIES 14

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
Any idea how to clean off pinkish colored spots on the underside of the awning? They appeared one day and nothing takes it off. Not even bleach. This is the 2nd camper we've owned that this has happened.

I use Mold Armor on everything that gets moldy - awning, gaskets around cargo doors, propane tank cover. I spray it on and let it sit - no rolling the awning up, but suppose that doesn't hurt. It worked on those pink stains you mentioned. Walmart, Lowes.

I'll grab a bottle of Mold Armor on my next trip to Walmart and see if it works. Thanks!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
Any idea how to clean off pinkish colored spots on the underside of the awning? They appeared one day and nothing takes it off. Not even bleach. This is the 2nd camper we've owned that this has happened.

Hu Rob,

Have you tried the Magic Eraser by chance?

AC

I have not tried the Magic Eraser but it's worth a shot. I'll try anything at this point. Thanks!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:

I use Mold Armor on everything that gets moldy - awning, gaskets around cargo doors, propane tank cover. I spray it on and let it sit - no rolling the awning up, but suppose that doesn't hurt. It worked on those pink stains you mentioned. Walmart, Lowes.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:

Hu Rob,

Have you tried the Magic Eraser by chance?

AC
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer

Fishwater
Explorer
Explorer
I never heard of just spraying an awning with Tilex & rolling it up, in fact I’ve never heard of spraying it with anything & just rolling it up, I always scrubbed mine. I just learned something new, thanks!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I like the 1 beer method !!!

Thanks for the replies folks. I have always applied the Tilex w/ a brush (top and bottom) on old coach. New one is still a learning curve.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"Catin' in the Winter"

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Our electric awning is a Carefree Travl’r, has 5 settings to lower the roller, all which don’t cause a problem when rolling up. It can be tilted if needed and has the rain dump.

To clean, it’s a 1 Beer project. First step is I tilt it down the furthest, then I spray the awning with Outdoor Cleaner, roll it up. Drink 1 beer (or half since I’m getting old) unroll and rinse both sides of the awning.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
Get up on the ladder and check the arms of the awning. I thought the same thing that my awning went straight out until I noticed the small holes on the arm. You should be able to change the angle

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have an electric awning that comes straight out and you clean it just like the old one you did. Put the awning out, spray it down with the hose, bump the awning a few times to get the big drips off, spray it with tiles and roll it up. Wait 20-30 minutes and unroll it and spray it off - done. If you have some stubborn stains just spray those and roll it back up and wait then unroll and spray.

Comes out looking brand new. I have never scrubbed an awning.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:

Now with the new coach and most new RV's I presume all have electric awnings which are more/less straight out from sidewall with little to no angle to them (unless you loosen knobs up and angle that way). So how are folks cleaning these types of awnings using Tilex?

Besides the chance of damage in all but excellent weather conditions, that is just one more reason that I don't use the useless awning.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Our electric awning goes straight out. It has an automatic water dump feature, so it must be able to tilt, but we haven't figured that out. So, we wash a section at a time using a ladder and long handled scrub brush. As for the slide-out awnnings, we was them off when we do our roof which is a couple of times a year. We just lean out using the same scrub brush with the roof soap and conditioner, then rinse it off.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
My last 2 power awnings were designed to tilt with no problems and cleaning them is easy
cpaulsen