cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Axle Ratio, new truck

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, I think I know the answer but just wanted to make sure. I am looking into a 5th wheel ~15k GVWR and am buying a truck. I want an f350 and may order a new one to get exactly what I want (there are currently 0 trucks nationwide that match what I want).

I am going F350 DRW, 7.3L gas, crew cab 4x4 with 5th wheel prep. What I'm thinking is I'll go 4.10 axle ratio.

I work from home and my wife cannot work, so it's a "daily driver" but won't be driven daily. To make our dream work, we'll sell our vehicles and this will be our only one.

So bottom line, should I get the 4.1 ratio or the 3.73?
40 REPLIES 40

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the gear ratio you can get the best deal on. You will not notice any difference unless you tow with both of them.

Thanks

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Youโ€™ve probably got your reasons for wanting a 7.3 dually but have you considered either spending another 7k and going with a SRW diesel? Or buying a slightly used diesel for the same money youโ€™d be spending to get a gasser?

:S
Why go down to SRW from a plan to get a DRW gas TV, that doesnโ€™t make sense!
The gas DRW will have about 800# more pay load to a diesel DRW, and and about 2,200# to 2,400# more than a F350 SRW.
I can see recommending a DRW diesel for pulling power, but the OP wants gas.

For what he is pulling he doesn't need DRW nor does he need a diesel. The dually might be nice while towing but the diesel would be reeeeeally nice; and the dually is a bit of a nuisance when not towing.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Youโ€™ve probably got your reasons for wanting a 7.3 dually but have you considered either spending another 7k and going with a SRW diesel? Or buying a slightly used diesel for the same money youโ€™d be spending to get a gasser?

:S
Why go down to SRW from a plan to get a DRW gas TV, that doesnโ€™t make sense!
The gas DRW will have about 800# more pay load to a diesel DRW, and and about 2,200# to 2,400# more than a F350 SRW.
I can see recommending a DRW diesel for pulling power, but the OP wants gas.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the 10 speed heavy duty transmission can handle 1050 ft lb of torque from the diesel then it can well handle 475 ft lb from the 7.3 gas pushing a 3.73 axle. Also, 1st gear in the 10 speed is 4.615 up from 3.97 in the 6 speed. It's hard to believe that a 4.615 ratio connected to torque converter would have a hard time starting any load.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
justme wrote:
I would suspect the new 10-speed trany will do the job because of its extended torque ratios. However, I am concerned about gear hunting while pulling heavy loads and inclines. Seems to me gear hunting will shorten the life of the trany while doing a lot of towing or heavy hauling-- especially with gas engines.

My NEW F350 with the 10 spd tranny doesn't gear hunt. It's a diesel so perhaps that helps, but it's a very smart truck. It's built to tow and it does it very well. If there is a gear change, it's hardly noticeable. But usually climbing it finds the proper gear at the proper speed and just stays there not breaking a sweat despite changes in grade.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Being it will be your only vehicle, Iโ€™d say 3.73 Unless you will be mostly towing in the mountains. That would be me! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I would suspect the new 10-speed trany will do the job because of its extended torque ratios. However, I am concerned about gear hunting while pulling heavy loads and inclines. Seems to me gear hunting will shorten the life of the trany while doing a lot of towing or heavy hauling-- especially with gas engines.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
My '15 F350 SWR,cc, 4x4 ,sb, 6.7 had 3.55 gears, 6sp tranny and it ran (I think...frigging CRS!) around 2,000 at 70 mph. The ;17 F350 DWR, cc, 4x4, 6.7, 4.10 gears, 6 sp tranny is at 2100 rpms at 70 mpg. Towing rig in sig, it's getting 8.5-9.0 mpg. It's true the gasser will not get as good as mpg towing as a diesel will, but consider down the road and you want to get a bigger RV. The 4.30 will be better for the whole truck. I like the idea another poster mentioned about considering a used SWR or even a DWR diesel. If sticking w/ Ford, 3.55 w/ the 6 sp and heard that w/ the 10 Spd they are utilizing 3.31 gears. My '17 was an off the lot purchase and came w/ 4.10's. I would have liked to have 3/73's, but overall, happy w/ the 4.10's.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for their response, I learned a lot.

Let_s_Go_Explor
Explorer
Explorer
I've always ordered a 4.30:1 (or similar) rear for the tow vehicle. Less strain on the drive train / added torque when you need it. With the new 10 speed transmissions, you don't seem to pay has heavily mpg-wise as in the old days for the 4+ gears. (I just ordered a new F350 with the 7.3L engine and 4.30:1 rear. )
April & Tom (and son Brian when he is in town!)

2021 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5
2021 Ford F350 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab w/ 7.3L Engine and 4:30 Rear.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Find ways to make it happen! :B

Hiking and Geocaching Rocks!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You couldn't pay me to tow 15,000 with a gasser. It would be nice if you did as it would help offset the terrible gas mpg's.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
Here's the 1st gear ratio for GMs 6 speed Allison and the new 10 speed:
New 10 speed 4.540 : 1
Old 6 speed 3.094 : 1
So with the lower first gear the 10 speed will give you the same overall pulling power with the taller differential gears.

If I wanted to pull a 15,000# 5er with a gas engine I want all the advantage I could get. The 3.73 gives 17,000# pulling capacity, 4.30โ€™s gives you 20,000#.
My 2016 Cummins with six speed, and 3.73โ€™s gives me 25,024# of pulling power, next 5er will likely top out at 17,000#.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's the 1st gear ratio for GMs 6 speed Allison and the new 10 speed:
New 10 speed 4.540 : 1
Old 6 speed 3.094 : 1
So with the lower first gear the 10 speed will give you the same overall pulling power with the taller differential gears.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint