cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backing up withOUT a trailer can be difficult.

nano
Explorer
Explorer
After a summer of camping, I've found that when backing up without a trailer, often times I initially turn the wrong way. Lol.
2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
9 REPLIES 9

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spent about 2 1/2 months on the road in 5er. First night back at the house I woke up in the middle of the night and did not know where I was. Told the wife about it in morning and she started laughing. She did the same thing.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Not backing trailer related, but after driving an automatic semi for extended length of time then switch to a manual trans for a short bit---keep forgetting I have to manually downshift to slow down or "Why am I not slowing down/downshifting on the off ramp'? !
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:

And yes - there have been folks who have managed to do bad things to automatic doors that were either too fast - or too slow. (Door -or- driver, take your pick)...

For better or worse, I'll raise my hand to that one! I ALWAYS check that all compartments are closed on the engine now when I pull out! (My issue was actually having a compartment door hitting the side of the bay door entrance. The young guy who left the compartment door open apologized to me - I thanked him, but said I was the driver, my fault for not checking)

My "thing" with getting home after camping is realizing I can take a shower longer than 2 minutes....

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
AMEN! Switching back and forth from a trailer to a straight truck can be quite frustrating when backing!
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
30 yrs as a F/F.

Emergency call/s in the middle of the night:

Had Engineers (the driver) working overtime on an Engine who were normally on a Truck Company (ladder truck) wait for acknowledgement from a non-existent tiller man. (What the hey are you waiting for?)

And vice-versa - Engine guy working OT on a truck company, see he had all the bodies in the cab and try to drive off *without* the tiller-man.

And yes - there have been folks who have managed to do bad things to automatic doors that were either too fast - or too slow. (Door -or- driver, take your pick)...

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Spent 20+ years driving semi. First day home DW asked why it took so long to park the motor home. WELL every time I backed i was trying to back up a trailer, not a straight truck.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I had the same problem back when I was a professional truck driver. I'd spend Monday thru Friday maneuvering an 18 wheeler and then come home on the weekends and go camping with the TT. On the rare occasion I had to back up a vehicle with no trailer I had to stop and really think about it. It would mess with my head.

Same here...

Bossed asked me to take an across town trip with a straight truck. All those big riggers were laughing at the rookie who couldn't even get a 26' box truck into the dock....**** thing kept turning the wrong way :h

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem back when I was a professional truck driver. I'd spend Monday thru Friday maneuvering an 18 wheeler and then come home on the weekends and go camping with the TT. On the rare occasion I had to back up a vehicle with no trailer I had to stop and really think about it. It would mess with my head.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well, if the topic is about doing things out of habit WITH camper and then withOUT camper ... here's 2 I deal with ..

After spending months in the camper (camping and driveway), when I go back into the house to use the potty, I'm reaching with my foot to add additional water to the bowl and to flush!

Second ... after spending months in the camper and then returning to the house, it takes about a week, if I wake up in the night, to realize I'm not in the camper, and usually slam into a wall on my way to the night-time bathroom runs!