cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup camera recommendations for 5er

dedmiston
I searched for recent conversations about backup cameras and found one in Truck Campers, but I think my requirements are different with a long fifth wheel (44.5 feet).

I'm just beginning to research cameras and I really don't know what options to even consider at this early stage. A camera isn't really 100% required, but it sure would be helpful. Sometimes I go to camp early and my family joins me later, so I'm pretty limited when I'm backing up without a spotter.

What should I be considering when I shop for a remote camera for a long fiver?

* What kind of technologies should I be looking at in a camera? Roof mount, license plate mount, etc.

* What wireless technologies are available? Will the camera beam the signal the 50 feet or so from the rear of my 5er to the cab of my truck?

* What monitor options should I research? I'd rather not add another display to my truck. I already have my tailgate cam that displays in my mirror when I'm backing up, plus the nav display, and I have a little screen for my TPMS. How good are the visor displays? Or can I view a signal on my iPhone? The iPhone probably isn't the best choice because of the size of the screen and the awkwardness of holding onto the phone while I'm backing up (illegal).

* How easy are the cameras to mount and wire?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
12 REPLIES 12

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with the Furrion camera make sure you get the observation camera and not the backup camera. I had both and the observation camera is much better and never had a lost signal like I did with the backup camera. Of course it also cost more but to me it was worth it.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:
I don't have a camera at this time but WIRED cameras appear to be cheaper and never lose signal. I can't imagine it would take any longer than 30 minutes to run a wire from hitch to back of that trailer. Then never worry about signal again. Take your pick. On brand any of them will be better than wireless. Honestly don't know what the big deal is with wireless attraction.

You haven't tried the wireless furrion camera yet. I thought the same as you until I tried one. I wouldn't mess with a wired camera now as good as this camera is.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a camera at this time but WIRED cameras appear to be cheaper and never lose signal. I can't imagine it would take any longer than 30 minutes to run a wire from hitch to back of that trailer. Then never worry about signal again. Take your pick. On brand any of them will be better than wireless. Honestly don't know what the big deal is with wireless attraction.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
khahuna wrote:
your trailer doesn't need to be prepped for the camera. I used the center red clearance light for my power source for the camera. The clearance lights need to be on for power. As far as the monitor is concerned I plugged into the vehicle 12 volt power source (ie. cigarette lighter). You then have to sync the camera and monitor. Mine works great, no loss of signal.

Exactly what I did. The furrion camera is great, no issues with mine.

khahuna
Explorer
Explorer
your trailer doesn't need to be prepped for the camera. I used the center red clearance light for my power source for the camera. The clearance lights need to be on for power. As far as the monitor is concerned I plugged into the vehicle 12 volt power source (ie. cigarette lighter). You then have to sync the camera and monitor. Mine works great, no loss of signal.
Dave & Jan Bussard
2016 Jayco Designer 5th Wheel 39RE
2016 Ford F350 CC 4x4 DRW w/8 foot box
Chloe Anne - passed 10/05/2016
Izzy - gone 08/12/2013 but not forgotten

dedmiston
Second Chance wrote:
khahuna wrote:
In March I purchased the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless high-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket from Amazon.

My 5th wheel is 43 foot. This system has worked very well on my 2016 Jayco Designer. I spliced the camera into the running light system for power and the monitor plugs into a power outlet in the cab of my F350 Crew Cab long box Dually.

If you do a search of the Jayco RV Owners Forum there is an extensive thread on the installation of this unit.

X2 ^^. The Furrion is what our fiver came prepped for (mount and power wiring). It has worked well.

Rob

Ours didn't come prepped. I'll need to start from scratch.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this Click here and mount it with zip ties to either my truck camper or my 5th wheel ladders. It is wired and I just run an extension wires (very cheap from Amazon) from inside my truck cab to a back door and have another extension taped under the trailer to the camera connections. After a lot of research no one had a good experience with wireless cameras unless it was big buck$. My method is simple and can be used with either of my RVs. I just have to plug and unplug it. This camera works well. PM me if you have questions. Good luck

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
lawnspecialties wrote:

X3

It loses signal from time to time while traveling but only for a few seconds. Other than that, no problems.

We've never had an issue with dropped signal(s).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
khahuna wrote:
In March I purchased the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless high-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket from Amazon.

My 5th wheel is 43 foot. This system has worked very well on my 2016 Jayco Designer. I spliced the camera into the running light system for power and the monitor plugs into a power outlet in the cab of my F350 Crew Cab long box Dually.

If you do a search of the Jayco RV Owners Forum there is an extensive thread on the installation of this unit.

X2 ^^. The Furrion is what our fiver came prepped for (mount and power wiring). It has worked well.

Rob

X3

It loses signal from time to time while traveling but only for a few seconds. Other than that, no problems.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is older and not prewired for a backup camera. So, I've been using the Garmin BC30 camera with my Garmin RV660LMT gps. I ordered the 50' extension cable for the camera and mounted the wireless sending unit at the front of my TT. I have never lost the wireless camera connection and was able to splice into the power for the trailer lights to power the camera.

Works very well. I went this route since I've read of many instances of other wireless backup cameras where the wireless sending unit is at the back of the trailer and connection can be spotty.
I love me some land yachting

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
khahuna wrote:

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

khahuna
Explorer
Explorer

Dave & Jan Bussard
2016 Jayco Designer 5th Wheel 39RE
2016 Ford F350 CC 4x4 DRW w/8 foot box
Chloe Anne - passed 10/05/2016
Izzy - gone 08/12/2013 but not forgotten