cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Issue with stored Fiver

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently moved my 2014 Fiver from a storage unit with electricity to a place without any. After 3 weeks I could barely put the slides out. I left nothing on but obviously something is draining. If I turn off the main switch on the powerboX will that save the power I recharge after going out this weekend? The storage guy asked me if I had a power off unit. Any advise would be appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
FWIW, my old Komfort has the disconnect right above the entry door; simple push/pull switch. As far as I can tell, it kills everything 12v =except= the slide and the landing legs. I can go months without the battery dropping much when it's off; only about 6 weeks if left hot.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all

Taz_23
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on where the disconnect is installed. I had a 2012 Outback tt with factory installed disconnect in the storage compartment and it turned off everything. Battery would not drain even after several months. I now have a 2015 Cougar fifth wheel With factory disconnect located on the rear wall of the outside storage and noticed the battery would drain slowly even with the disconnect off. Every thing in the trailer was off but I noticed the auto levelers still had power so there was evidently a parasitic draw there. I installed a switch at the battery box and now every thing gets shut off.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
azjeffh wrote:
In 11 1/2 years of storing my previous fiver I NEVER had a battery issue after switching to disconnect (even after 7+ weeks).

Left the new trailer in storage and went to pick it up ~3 weeks later. Batteries were drained ๐Ÿ˜ž Not a happy camper.

I learned that hard lesson, too. ๐Ÿ˜ž The other hard lesson I learned was that the converter won't charge the batteries when plugged in if I leave my disconnect OFF. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Lyle

Went we got our 2005 Copper Canyon found the battery would drain in about 3 weeks. I installed my own disconnect on the positive side right at the battery, last at least a couple months, and we typicality have run the slides in ant out a couple times during that time.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
azjeffh wrote:
In 11 1/2 years of storing my previous fiver I NEVER had a battery issue after switching to disconnect (even after 7+ weeks).

Left the new trailer in storage and went to pick it up ~3 weeks later. Batteries were drained ๐Ÿ˜ž Not a happy camper.

I learned that hard lesson, too. ๐Ÿ˜ž The other hard lesson I learned was that the converter won't charge the batteries when plugged in if I leave my disconnect OFF. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer

Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

Explorer
Explorer
jayhardy wrote:
It never sits more than a month if that helps

Converter draw. Disconnect the negative side of the battery. And if anyone would like to chime in about why most say disconnect the negative please reply as I type slow.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
It never sits more than a month if that helps

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
It's a Montana

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are many what is called parasitic drains like the Co detector, several electronic control boards, etc.. still running from your battery with everything turned off. They all add up and will slowly drain your battery.

The best bet is just pull the NEGATIVE (-) battery terminal when it is parked for awhile.

A fully charged battery will last a few months just sitting there. Come around every three weeks or so and check its status and re-charge if necessary using a small generator...

Continually running your battery down to just 12.0VDC without re-charging will eventually do harm to your battery.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
There is "parasitic" draw on your battery all the time. Your converter, your CO detector, the electronics in the refrigerator, and your radio to name just a few.

If you have a battery cut-off, this will help. But it's possible, even with the cut-off switch, there could still be something drawing from the battery. The only "sure" way is to disconnect the battery, unless you can completely test your cut-off switch for 100% battery feed OFF to the trailer.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
To be fully disconnected, you have to have a disconnect switch right at the battery, or disconnect a battery cable.

Jerry

reppoc12
Explorer
Explorer
There is a parasitic draw from the CO detector, radio, etc. On a 2014 you likely have a battery disconnect installed. If not unhook the negative battery cable when not in use until you can find one. What kind of fiver is it? Someone may know if a disconnect is installed.